Time for a tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Time for a tune?

Hello everyone!

I have been a long time member on this forum, and i think the time has finally come. I am finished with all the bolt on mods for my car. I have the following mods

plenum spacer
stillen cold air intake
x02 exhaust
going on soon-berk hfc's
going on soon-magnaflow x-pipe (11386)

Based on the above, would you recommend getting a tune? I am not too familiar with what happens when one gets his car "tuned" what should i be expecting? will i get better gas mileage? i hope! how much of a noteciable gain (hp) should I be expecting? my basic understanding is that the air and fuel ratio needs to be at re-adjusted based on the mods that i listed how much does it cost? what type of a tune do i need? whats the advantage of one over another? I want to make sure my car is making the most efficient use of the resources provided to it i dont know much about this topic so excuse my ignorance

once the tune is done, what are all the numbers that are provided (and what do they mean)

nor*cal folks-can you recommend/vouch for any local shops that can do a good job? I am in South bay, Union city/fremont area

Last edited by dcityjatt; 05-25-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Are you 6mt? If so, get the mrev2

Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
Are you 6mt? If so, get the mrev2
sorry, forgot to include that but i am not 6mt. i am 5AT

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM
bumpt it up!

damn no one got any input?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your tuner will hook into your car's computer (the ECU) and change some parameters to optimize your engine performance for the mods that you have installed. As you mentioned, adjusting the air/fuel ratio is one thing tuners do to extract more performance from your engine.

Your gas mileage probably won't noticeably change. It's hard to predict what kind of gains you'll get because every car and engine is a little different and will react differently during the tuning session.

Also, don't become too obsessed with max +HP or max +TQ numbers. You always hear people say things like "I got +20HP from <insert mod(s) here>!" but then when you look at their dyno chart, you'll notice that the +20 HP was at 7000 RPM. Meanwhile, they lost 22 HP at 3500 RPM. Which would you rather have?...personally, gaining HP and TQ at low to mid RPMs would be a hell of a lot more useful to me than at upper RPMs in my daily driving.

I don't know too much about all the different tuning software packages. I went with Uprev Osiris since it's a popular choice on these forums. My tuner charged me $550 the first time he tuned my car. A big part of that is because the first time you get tuned you need to purchase an Osiris software license. After that initial tune, I can go get retunes for $150 since you'll already have the license.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the best tuning software is osiris uprev but a lot does have to do with the tuner themselves. it'll cost 500-600 and they'll give you a few maps that you can use ie valet (no revving over 3k) or antitheft (cant start the car). when i got tuned it was definately worth it. you'll get a dyno chart that'll show you what your car produces at various rpms and after the tune you'll see where you improve. usually you want to see the area under the curve to get bigger not just peak gains. you should get better mpg too.