tune VS untune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
yeah true that. the guy didnt even raise my rev limiter. its still 6800 wth? i should take it to another guy once I get more stuff put in.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BonBG35
unfortunately i've noticed the gains from osiris tunes are largely based on how good the tuner is. Those guys at CIN or Church seem to be the best at getting the most out of the VQ. 7 is better than nothing and i've seen worse but thats still a little disappointing. however car should still run better than pretune and at least you know what you are putting down.
+1 for CIN, anyone in the southeast should check them out!! great shop!!

The following users liked this post:
Footballmania32 (07-27-2013)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Algy-

I had my rev limiter bumped up through COBB with my first tune while I was NA and to be honest... where I was at least there were no gains there at all- in fact performance dropped measurably. I figured it might have had something to do with my intake mods and relatively small spacer...

And it might have just been the fact that the guy doing the cobb tune was still getting used to it a bit... granted-

Anyway, just sayin'

Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Algy-

I had my rev limiter bumped up through COBB with my first tune while I was NA and to be honest... where I was at least there were no gains there at all- in fact performance dropped measurably. I figured it might have had something to do with my intake mods and relatively small spacer...

And it might have just been the fact that the guy doing the cobb tune was still getting used to it a bit... granted-

Anyway, just sayin'
The tuner didnt say anything about it not being safe to be bumped up? My tuner was telling me it wasnt safe but I see lots of vids of a lot of 5at or 6mt bumping their revs up by 200 or a lil more without new valves or rods. I only wanna do it bc when I drive fast and get close to the limiter, the fuel cut off kicks in near redline and i would have to wait till it gives more fuel when i hit the next gear and then it would go. I want to eliminate that by not hitting the fuel cutoff on that sweet spot when I shift.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I think you guys are giving a bit too much credit to these "tuners". There isn't a whole lot they really can really manipuluate. Also, like I've said before, G/Z VQs tend to gain about 5 to 10whp between initial successive dyno runs with no changes to the car. It's like the ECU needs to adjust to the dyno run after it realizes only the rear tires are spinning.

I'm always very suspect of 15whp+ tuning gains on VQs with simple bolt-ons. Usually the only thing the VQ seems to really need is extra fuel above 4000rpms to get things back in check. The tuner can finely tune some other things here or there, but it's not going to have huge impacts.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I think you guys are giving a bit too much credit to these "tuners". There isn't a whole lot they really can really manipuluate. Also, like I've said before, G/Z VQs tend to gain about 5 to 10whp between initial successive dyno runs with no changes to the car. It's like the ECU needs to adjust to the dyno run after it realizes only the rear tires are spinning.

I'm always very suspect of 15whp+ tuning gains on VQs with simple bolt-ons. Usually the only thing the VQ seems to really need is extra fuel above 4000rpms to get things back in check. The tuner can finely tune some other things here or there, but it's not going to have huge impacts.
i think i would have to slightly disagree there man. the tuners can also gain mass torque out of these motors if they know what they are doing. he only gained 1 tq when me personally even gained over 15 tq to the wheels. i ended up at 250 tq on almost the exact same setup but only 260 hp (3rg gear pull)

Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is completely worth it! idk how you guys are baselining so high with mods but I base lined at 212whp. And after tune I got 269whp and 242tq. Mods are.... K&N drop in. Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust. ART pipes. MD 5/16th Spacer. and Polished Z tube.
I raced this z4 last week before tune and we were almost dead even if not him a bit faster! So I tracked him down after a tune....
Ill let the video do the talking =)

The following users liked this post:
DailyDrivenCoupe (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenCoupe
i think i would have to slightly disagree there man. the tuners can also gain mass torque out of these motors if they know what they are doing. he only gained 1 tq when me personally even gained over 15 tq to the wheels. i ended up at 250 tq on almost the exact same setup but only 260 hp (3rg gear pull)

IMO, it really depends on the mods and the O2 system used in the car. If you've got a majority of the bolt-ons and the A/F is really lean, then I could see gaining a decent amount of power. I think many are kidding themselves if they think these tuners are needing to go to great lengths to improve the existing program. They look at the initial A/F data and timing values and tweak a few things to get the A/F back to where it should be. In the process, some power can be gained.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
very nice vid mike!! lol no need to ask the question now if it is 6 spd. glad ur happy with your tune!

Originally Posted by DaveB
IMO, it really depends on the mods and the O2 system used in the car. If you've got a majority of the bolt-ons and the A/F is really lean, then I could see gaining a decent amount of power. I think many are kidding themselves if they think these tuners are needing to go to great lengths to improve the existing program. They look at the initial A/F data and timing values and tweak a few things to get the A/F back to where it should be. In the process, some power can be gained.
i can agree some what. you are correct about the running lean which i personally was running all the way up until 5kish rpms :/ however still im alot happier with my 250 lbs tq then then i believe 238 lbs in the sheet from the thread originator and idk where he got the power from but it was made due to the tune.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im getting my car tuned at CIN this Friday. My mods are rev-up intake, 5/16 spacer, kinetix HFC, coupe mid pipe, Z tube, HR plugs, HR y pipe, and 100shot of nitrous.

I think most tuners change AFR and ignition timing and thats it. A good tuner will tune, afr, ignition timing, cam timing, and a few other minor things.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
by the way I do have a CEL for lean code

Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm enjoying this thread as it offers many different scenarios.

I'm starting to think my car is a bit of a factory freak as my 06 Rev Up Sedan made 274 wheel and 247 torque. All I have done is carbon intake pipe with filter, smoothed auto lower plenum, spacer, 3inch cat back, and resonated test pipes. My air fuels were 13.4 to 12.7 up top, which in my opinion is pretty rich for N/A purposes.

I'm planning on buying the full Osiris Rev Up tuner, 750 to 1000cc injectors(after I do some math, need headroom for FI), 255 walbro(with supporting hardware), and tuning it for E85 and pump gas maps. I will be doing all the adjustments, as I'm not new to standalones/piggy backs. Shooting for 290 wheel with current mods and e85 tune.

Back to topic, lets face it, more power is a beautiful thing however I feel the money is well worth the flatter power curve and driveablity. Not to mention, better to be safe than sorry.

On a related note, has anyone put a VQ on E85 yet?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
you should be pretty happy with your tune from them

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by mikes3kgt
It is completely worth it! idk how you guys are baselining so high with mods but I base lined at 212whp. And after tune I got 269whp and 242tq. Mods are.... K&N drop in. Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust. ART pipes. MD 5/16th Spacer. and Polished Z tube.
I raced this z4 last week before tune and we were almost dead even if not him a bit faster! So I tracked him down after a tune....
Ill let the video do the talking =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaTp6GSsdko
Awesome vid. Looks like you made great power. Did the tuner bump up your rev? You are a 5at right? If so, what's your tuned rev?

You made a low baseline but an awesome tune afterwards. I have no idea why my baseline was so high 258 and tuned was 265 :/ torque gains was not great either if any 236 to 237.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope i believe the rev is the same? Not sure lol. Nope im 6mt. Yeah that Z4 had me by like half a car before tune. Hell look at the g35 vs z4 vids on youtube. The z4s win! So for me to take this guy kinda nasty the tune was WELL worth it!! Yeah I made a very low baseline. Most guys at this shop were low baseline. Hell there was a 350z there with way more stuff done than me and his was an 05? 06? I forgot what he said he baselined 204whp!! Lowwwww! Final numbers were 238whp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tune VS untune