5at N/A build, poor results, need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Please see my Dyno for my BONESTOCK G35 with a pathetic K&N filter along with Z-tube which adds .00001hp. I have a stock REVUP motor with cd009 manual tranny. I would expect you to get much higher numbers than what is posted. Sounds like a ton of money for "diamonds" in your engine and they did not seem to pay off. Also can't you play with solenoid pressure or line pressure to help keep your shifts in check (not really sure as I have a manual and she always stays in check ).

Edit: BTW that was on shitty 87 octane gas
torque management for 5at tuning. Not a lot of info out on it but yes you can and it makes a huge difference if you take your time and do it correctly.

The following users liked this post:
North Van G (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
From personal experience. I believe it all comes down to the tuner. Ive tuned from two places (Uprev themselves in Austin TX) and Jotech Motorsport (Dallas TX)

From the first tune, I couldnt even feel a difference besides the higher rev limiter. The car seem to bog from a low roll all the way up to the top end as well. The guy didnt do anything to my transmission or up any pressure to the line. I feel like he was a total noob. But overall the car came in with 258hp & 237tq baseline. After the tune it made 265hp & 238tq. I couldnt really feel anything and the gains were all from the high end with no gains from the bottom or mid range. I was happy wit the numbers though. Oh and this was on a DYNOJET.

Took it to Jotech Motorsport and WOW. The tuner there (Thomas Rivera) very knowledgeable guy and he tuned everything from the bottom up from my car! He messed with the transmission pressure line to give more bite and faster shifts (transgo shifts so much faster), changed the throttle response,100% opening from the throttle body, my idle, cam timing, fan temps., etc. I mean, he did everything he could and my car felt WAAAAAYYYYY different. Night and day difference like the transgo feeling. It came in and baseline at 233hp & 194tq. After the tune 267hp and 230tq!!!!!! This was all on a DYNOCOM. The gains were all throughout the power band as well.

Tuner man. All I gotta say. But dont take the numbers to the grave. As long as you can feel a difference. Then you should be fine, and in difference it shouldnt even be a little. It should be like an awakening of the car.

Mods on my 5AT G35 coupe
JWT intake with a Stillen shield
Z-tube
MD 5/16th spacer
MD ART pipes
MD TDX V2 exhaust
Transgo
Osiris

Im surprise the JWT intake lost power... Makes me want to throw my stock intake back... Anymore info on this???

Last edited by Algy; 02-08-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Yeah aftermarket intakes don't do **** for the G.. lol There is a thread about it with dyno results I believe ..

Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Yeah aftermarket intakes don't do **** for the G.. lol There is a thread about it with dyno results I believe ..
LOL I already read that.. Unless it suffers a dramatic amount. Id take it off, but if we are talking about 1 or 2 ponies that I WONT even feel. Ill leave it on bc the sound is so much better.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Yeah its good for the sound..

Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Yeah its good for the sound..
Reasons why I got a JWT intake filter and Stillen shied

https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...dyno-test.html

Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by North Van G
I just got the dyno resultson the n/a build for my '07 5at coupe, including:
-JWT S1 cams
-DLC valve lifters
-Momentum headers
-Art pipes
-HKS Hiflow exhaust
-trnsgo valvebody
-3.5 vlsd
-TB spacer

The solid line is the new (yes, tuned) run, broken line is from the Summer when I just had a z-tube, art pipes, 5/16th and an Osirus reflash. The gains seem unusually poor for cams and valvelifters, especially considering the engine lost some top end where I was expecting to gain the most. If anybody has some advice/feedback or has faced a similar problem please let me know (other than to say I should have just bought a supercharger.. thanks captain hindsight)!

One thing the tuner said was that you cant take away the 5at throttle cut at high rpm when it wants to get ready to shift.. even in manual mode. That seems like part of the problem, but there must be a way around that otherwise nobody with an AT would be tuning.. maybe its an '07 specific issue.
The cams should give you an increase in power above 3000 rpm, you can see on your graph that you made some pretty good gains right around 3500 rpm but they taper off, doesn't make sense? What rpm do these alleged throttle cuts come in at? I'd research a different tuner, you should be able to increase power throughout the rpm range unless you are at the flow limit for the heads. Also try to put it on a different dyno since this one seems to read extremely low, maybe somewhere that's got a baseline to compare. Another possibility is that the motor is weak, have you leaked it down or done a compression test?
I know this isn't totally relevant but worth a look.
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...m/viewall.html

Last edited by Peoria35sedan; 02-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
What was the pre and post tune comparison? comparing it with an older tune might not be as accurate. A pre/post tune result will show you better evidence of the tuning gains or lack thereof. Even with a dyno reading really low..gains are gains. Most of the "it drives so much better" are probably mind over matter of getting new mods installed and a presumed 'tune'

Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
^^ It's in the first post, gained about 1 hp overall, shows good gains around 3500.
OP, when I had my car dyno'd it never attempted to upshift, it down shifted but not up, if you are in MM does your car shift by it's self before it hits the limiter? If not why would the throttle cut if the cars not going to shift? Sounds fishy.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Algy

Im surprise the JWT intake lost power... Makes me want to throw my stock intake back... Anymore info on this???
Ya just a1hp loss for both intakes, no biggie

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Peoria35sedan
OP, when I had my car dyno'd it never attempted to upshift, it down shifted but not up, if you are in MM does your car shift by it's self before it hits the limiter? If not why would the throttle cut if the cars not going to shift? Sounds fishy.
It does not try to shift in manual mode. But according to my tuner there is some throttle cut to prevent you from bouncing off the red line before u shift.

I am going to talk to my tuner this weekend to see if they have come up with any ideas. More importantly I will ask them exactly what changes they have made in the up-rev software and what they left alone (ie torque management, line pressure, cam timing, what am I missing?)

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
Did the tuner tell you anything if your fuel pressure was low or if the injectors were maxed out? This could be a fuel issue.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Peoria35sedan
I know this isn't totally relevant but worth a look.
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...m/viewall.html
I came across that article when I was researching cams. It was the reason I chose the JWT S1 cams

To answer your question Redstar, I did ask about the fuel pump and my tunersaid it should be fine for these mods. I'll add it to the troubleshooting list though

I will also be hitting up the mopac dyno next week, where I have a stock baseline run and an untuned run with art pipes and plenum spacer.

Last edited by North Van G; 02-08-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by North Van G
One thing the tuner said was that you cant take away the 5at throttle cut at high rpm when it wants to get ready to shift.. even in manual mode. That seems like part of the problem, but there must be a way around that otherwise nobody with an AT would be tuning.. maybe its an '07 specific issue.
I can definitely help you here!!! First off let me say that I recently went back and got a retune after 3 days bc my tuner said I could make more power. He was right, I made 10 more ponies and a lot more torque. BUT after all of that, everything got reset like the throttle response and the rev limiter and throttle cut. Went back today and he fixed everything.

To your problem about the throttle cut, ask the your tuner to raise your revs to what ever desired rev you want. After that, ask the tuner to set the throttle cut to about 3-400 rpms higher to whatever your rev limit is. That should solve your problem bc it did mine. I had my rev limit to 7000 and the throttle cut at 7300 which I wont even come close to and the throttle cut wont ever initiate.

Another thing I notice too after he retuned it was my throttle response sucked and it was sooooo laggy. To fix that he took away the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) which is for the cruise control and depending what year and model you have (06-07) helps with rev matching when you downshift. My tuner turned that off for me and I cant use my cruise control but damn my throttle response is night a day difference after turning the ETC off. The car responds and explodes to whatever I do to the pedal. Also when downshifting, I have to blip my own throttle so it doesnt jerk hard from the lower gear.

The following users liked this post:
North Van G (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Definitely going to look into turning off the throttle cut and ETC.. Did that help in auto mode or just manual?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 5at N/A build, poor results, need help