Trying to decide on ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trying to decide on ECU tuning

Like the title says I'm trying to decide what to do about my ECU. Right now I just have the factory one and it has never been tuned.

It's an 04 G35 auto.

Mods right now are:

Injen intake,
DC headers,
Motordyne 1/2 spacer (i'm pretty sure that is the right size, can't remember now unfortunately),
Test pipes (brand is escaping me),
Borla exhaust,

I've been holding off on doing anything else because I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to trade it off for a 6mt or build it as is. Also I need to get something else to drive for a little while so I can yank the engine and do all the internals.

The one thing that has just always bothered me is the throttle response, throttle body not opening fully (thanks nissan), and I'm sure that I'm running way lean. It also feels sluggish until about 3500 then it just feels like a different car.

I was looking at the osiris tuner and the haltech platinum. I was wondering how easy the osiris one is to use and does it have the capability to tune everything needed or is it limited. It does just tune the factory ecu right? Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have to get the maps from uprev so how safe are they to use and are they very accurate without having an actual dyno to go off of?

This is the first time I've needed to tune something without having a shop 5 minutes away so I never really learned much about that part of it. Just had my friend do it.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Trust me, you want to go with Uprev. Its safe, effective, and will transform your car. With all those mods its probably running like @@@. It reflashes the factory ECU and controls everything you need. Fuel, timing, electronic throttle, rev/speed limiters, DTC codes, torque management for former shifting, etc etc.

Everything 04 and newer came with factory wideband O2 sensors so you can tune it 95% as good as on a dyno using the uprev software. Also since you own the cable you can reflash back to stock whenever you want and use it on a different car (very important if you're thinking about trading in).

You don't need the full tuner version unless you're wanting to tune it yourself, you can get it tuned remotely with datalogs using Osiris standard for only $500.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions you've got-

The following users liked this post:
Dio23 (12-17-2018)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Eh seymore- what's it cost for a touch up through the data log method? Or is it all or nothing? I have the tuner cable as you know but I'm having some trouble coordinating driving and tuning in my area- so I'm looking for some options as well.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Eno
Eh seymore- what's it cost for a touch up through the data log method? Or is it all or nothing? I have the tuner cable as you know but I'm having some trouble coordinating driving and tuning in my area- so I'm looking for some options as well.
For you it'd be more of an issue of finding someone who will do it... I'd venture to bet that none of the tuners who are actually qualified to tune a 600 hp automatic G35 would be willing to do remote tuning. NA is another story altogether

The following users liked this post:
Eno (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its definitely better than stock but from experience with other cars I feel like I should have quite a bit more power and throttle response, hopefully I can improve the power in the low end especially.

One of my concerns was the possible trade in so if I went with the haltech I would keep my factory ecu to swap back to when needed but if I can reflash back to stock that would work too. I also have a spare ecu anyway.

Can the osiris delete codes to prevent them from coming back? I have a constant check engine light from my test pipes complaining about the 02 sensor there and I'm somewhat tired of that light being on.

Also how long does it take to get the maps from them?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DragonBoas
Its definitely better than stock but from experience with other cars I feel like I should have quite a bit more power and throttle response, hopefully I can improve the power in the low end especially.

One of my concerns was the possible trade in so if I went with the haltech I would keep my factory ecu to swap back to when needed but if I can reflash back to stock that would work too. I also have a spare ecu anyway.

Can the osiris delete codes to prevent them from coming back? I have a constant check engine light from my test pipes complaining about the 02 sensor there and I'm somewhat tired of that light being on.

Also how long does it take to get the maps from them?
You can reflash back to stock with uprev within about 2 minutes, leaving no trace. Its all software based so you don't have to physically install anything, unlike the haltech.

You can disable the check engine lights with Uprev, very common for test pipes/ HFC. Sensors still work perfectly, they just don't throw the code anymore.

If you buy direct from Uprev its a toss up on getting the maps, their customer service sucks pretty bad and it can take a while to get replies. If you go with me I will get them to you the same day you receive the cable; I'm available 7 days a week and even on evenings.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have another customer on the way. I have a 05 sedan 6mt with CAI, Shunk Spacer, test pipes, Remus muffler and now waiting on my DC headers. o my next move is the tune and will probably come to you

Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by banelba
You may have another customer on the way. I have a 05 sedan 6mt with CAI, Shunk Spacer, test pipes, Remus muffler and now waiting on my DC headers. o my next move is the tune and will probably come to you
Word, PM me if you've got any questions about how it all works With those mods you'll DEFINITELY need a tune. I'd recommend a new set of one step colder plugs too, NGK LFR6AIX-11 are a great option