No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
RemmyZero - did I possibly miss your post on doing the touch screen overlay? Did you do it for use with a GVN?
go back to the electronics main page here and its maybe 3 or 4 down. or just go here

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-aud...nav-model.html

i only did it a few days ago. i did not actually use a GVN since they were fairly expensive. i bought/built a dedicated small computer to run Garmin Mobile PC and installed a touchscreen overlay to use in place of a mouse. i'm going to install some free ware virtual keyboard for use on screen tonight so i'll update the post later.

don't get me wrong, the GVN is an awesome piece of hardware, just out of my price range.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ Thanks...subscribed

Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at RemmyZero's carputer makes me shake with fear. It's fantastic, but the tech side of things is WAY beyond me.

Looking at the GVN53, the install, I think I could swing, it's the cost that gets me.

So, being the cheap bastard that I am, I've been searching for an alternative and I may have found it.

Could someone tell me if this PYLE UNIVERSAL BLACK BOX might work:
http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....&model=PLNVB26

The MSRP is higher than the Garmin, but you can find it here:
http://www.jr.com/pyle/pe/PYL_PLNVB2...ductTabDetails
for $233.

Sure, it is Pyle vs. Garmin and I wouldn't even consider if the price differential were not so great. Anyhow, just a thought.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I would be willing to go out on a limb (because I haven't seen the Pyle in person) and say it won't be near as good as the GVN.
It runs Windows CE which is ancient and was not very good when it was new.
It uses an IR remote which means you will need direct line of sight, to the device, for it to work. The GVN has an RF remote so you can theoretically put the box in the trunk if you want and the remote will work from the drivers seat.
I would doubt the UI is anywhere near as intuitive as Garmin.

If you get the Pyle please give us your review.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
personally i would go with the gvn, but you should google around for reviews and find out how people like the pyle, you may find that people love it actually. i just can't imagine that the software is as good as garmin, and rpm is right, if it's running windows CE then i honestly don't know how much software support you'll get. but take a look anyway.

also the JR site says it's not available at any of it's stores so i'm wondering if it was discontinued.....maybe you could find one even cheaper on ebay?

the remote is IR but i see in the picture they give you a receiver eye to put in the car itself. you could always install it in the ashtray so that you could close the ashtray cover over it when not in use.

and not to hijack this thread but.....
you could do a setup like mine without a touchscreen and use the aux input of your armrest for sound for cheap and just buy a keyboard/mouse combo such as the following two:

Rii PC Mini Keyboard

OR

Lenovo Wireless Keyboard

and in reality if you've ever installed windows on a computer then you've probably done the hardest part already lol.

Cheers!
Bob