Can i connect laptop audio to ipod port?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i connect laptop audio to ipod port?

We are taking a roadtrip and my GF wants to watch a movie on the laptop.. was wondering if I can connect the laptop to the ipod port or even watch a movie on the screen somehow???

Old 02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
No. Not while moving for certain.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
that blows.... owell...

Took the car to 1/4 track last week... did 14.0 on just about 99.9mph

Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah you will only be able to hear the audio, because the car won't let you play video while moving.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Wait... If it's just audio... and you're watching the vid on the laptop... that should work. At least, assuming the ipod interface is like the AUX port in the 07.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by adamr001
Wait... If it's just audio... and you're watching the vid on the laptop... that should work. At least, assuming the ipod interface is like the AUX port in the 07.
thats what I had figured.... i'll test it out.. not sure what cable I have to make that work...

Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by swordfish
thats what I had figured.... i'll test it out.. not sure what cable I have to make that work...
1/8" stereo (male) to dual RCA (male red / male white) for the AUX port in my '07. Plug the 1/8" stereo (male) into the speaker out (usually green) on the laptop.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
My iPod plays movies. Does anyone know if I can hook up the iPod to the RCA Ports and watch a movie through the screen in the car? I have seen the RCA cables hooked to an iPod compatible cable at the Apple Store so I know you can do it with your TV. I don't want to blow $40+ bucks unless I am sure it works in the car. Yes, I know it won't work while the car is moving.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
so does that mean you can watch movies on the navigation screen when the car is stopped? Just cant while its moving?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
so does that mean you can watch movies on the navigation screen when the car is stopped? Just cant while its moving?
Hopefully. That is what I am trying to find out. Don't really know when I would use it though. I am not much for sitting in the car to watch a movie. Maybe while waiting for my wife, ... on second thought I would probably use it a lot.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noting will play on screen via either rca or ipod when moving. When not moving both will play video if my info is correct, so no need to get a cross cable...rca to ipod or ipod to rca. just go into the car and try playing thru ipod while stopped see if it works. theres also a physical way to bypass the lock while in motion but its sorta taboo to be dscussed here lol

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
noting will play on screen via either rca or ipod when moving. When not moving both will play video if my info is correct, so no need to get a cross cable...rca to ipod or ipod to rca. just go into the car and try playing thru ipod while stopped see if it works. theres also a physical way to bypass the lock while in motion but its sorta taboo to be dscussed here lol
I tried playing a video through the iPod with the normal connection. It did not work. I was able to go to Radio Shack and get an A/V Cable for iPod Video ($10). This gives you the three connections for the RCA and connects to the iPod via the earphone jack. If the video settings are correct on the iPod (they need to be set up for TV output) you can watch a movie on the Navigation screen. However, you must be stopped with the emergency brake on, at least on the 6MT, I can't speak for the automatic transmisson.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh ipod vid doesnt play vid thru the supplied cables only via RCA ? icic ok

Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dknicholson56
However, you must be stopped with the emergency brake on, at least on the 6MT, I can't speak for the automatic transmisson.

i have a 6mt, and i was parked, car started, ebrake up, and tried putting "Anchorman" in my cd drive in my dash, and nothing played... so i assumed it didnt play anything

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
oh ipod vid doesnt play vid thru the supplied cables only via RCA ? icic ok
It may have to do with my iPod settings but so far the image I get from the iPod id in Black and White. I know when the car is in reverse I see a color image. I need to play around with my settings a little, more to come.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can i connect laptop audio to ipod port?