Music Box Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2008 | 08:30 PM
|
Music Box Features

I know there have been oplaenty of questions on the music box already, but I have nto seen my issue discussed. I have a bunch of albums on my Music Box. When I play it I have it set to play all playlists at random, thinking that it will play songs randomly from all the polaylists. It seems to do that however, you woukd think that once it plays a song it would not play that song again until all the songs have been played. Not so, it will often play the same song again within an hour or the next time I get in the car.

This is not a big proiblem but a real annoyance. It seems like a high end car like this should have more sphisticated software.

Has anyone else noticed the same problem?

Old 04-22-2008 | 12:02 AM
From my own personal experience with many different electronics (electronics in cars, for the home, etc...) I have never known any type of music player to not play a track again once it's already been played while in shuffle/random play mode. Every device I've ever encountered is exactly like the G's music box, certain songs might be duplicated before every single one is played. Can you give an example of a device that has this feature?

Old 04-22-2008 | 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
From my own personal experience with many different electronics (electronics in cars, for the home, etc...) I have never known any type of music player to not play a track again once it's already been played while in shuffle/random play mode. Every device I've ever encountered is exactly like the G's music box, certain songs might be duplicated before every single one is played. Can you give an example of a device that has this feature?
iPod. Repeat is independent of Shuffle, so I can random play with repeat on, repeat only once, or repeat off. Nice feature.

Old 04-22-2008 | 09:36 AM
|
Yes, every iPod or MP3 Player I have ever used.

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:47 AM
I will use my MP3 player experience.

I had an old RIO. The random feature would build a playlist onve with each song once and play the entire thing through. Therefore no repeats.

My new one, Sandisk Sansa, runs the random algorithm after every song so it may, and does, repeat songs before all are played. It's just two different ways to "randomize" songs.

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:51 AM
back in the day, only rca had a true "shuffle" that would exhaust the entire catalog of songs before repeating any. heh

Old 04-22-2008 | 03:41 PM
|
More on Random Mode

After some thought I think I figured out a portion of what's going on. The Music Box will play songs at random but once the car is turned off the buffer that holds the songs already played is emptied and the random play begins again from scratch the next time you start the car. The only thing that still bothers me is the criteria used to select a song at random. It sure seems to like a few songs more than others, I have thousands of songs in my music box and the odds of the same songs being played over and over again seem remote yet that seems to happen. I don't have this problem on my iPod, even when I restart a playlist it seems truly random, not so on the music box