iPod Battery Drain on 08 G35 ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Battery Drain on 08 G35 ???

Hello,

There have been several threads dancing around this subject, but nothing conclusive. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm talking about a 5th Gen 80GB iPod being used with the factory interface in an 08 G35.

Two particular issues (possibly related):

1. Upon restarting the car, my iPod does NOT pick up where it left off when I turned the car off. I have to initiate a new playlist, podcast, etc. Does anyone know if this is an inherent flaw with the Infiniti controller or some iPod setting? I have a feeling it is NOT the iPod because I did not have this problem with an after-market controller in my 98 Accord. In that car the iPod would pick up exactly where it left off EVERY time.

2. Does the Infiniti controller not turn off the iPod when the car turns off? I keep my iPod in my car and the iPod battery keeps running down. I see a 'charging' icon on the iPod when the car is one, so I'm assuming it's charging when the car is on and then discharging when the car is off, which implies that the iPod is not turning off when the car turns off. Again, this was not a problem with my low-tech 98 Honda Accord. ?????

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? And possibly offer solutions? I paid a pile of money for this car and it's very frustrating to find such inexcusable flaws. There are a lot of things I would LIKE for the iPod interface to do, but these are things that, in my opinion, should be lock solid.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i don't own a '08 model with the iPod interface, but i will try to shed some light here. If you have auxiliary inputs that plug into the headphone jack then it is not going to charge your iPod. If you have the auxiliary inputs along with the cigarette lighter that connect to both the bottom connection and the headphone jack, then it will.

Whenever you turn your car off, your iPod will keep playing unless you actually disconnect the wire to the headphone jack or press pause. This is probably what is happening to you. You turn your car off while the iPod just keeps playing, and when you get in the car the next day your iPod will have been playing all night.

I don't keep my iPod in my car all the time, because of the extreme heat in georgia right now...and that kind of heat will ruin electronics sometimes. If you unplug your iPod when you leave the car and plug it back in, it should start from where you left off.

Go to your itunes and see what the most recently played songs are...if it is the case that i described, then you will have a bunch of songs that were recently played that you don't remember playing. If this isn't the case, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Could you post a pic of your 2008 I-pod connection? because I have a weird spec car and want to see if its the same, mine has 3 aux inputs but no interface with the HU what so ever

Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
My interface is not via headphone jacks, nor is it via the 3 aux jacks in the G35 console. I am using the factory supplied cable that came with the car. The car end of the cable is a rectangular adapter and the iPod end is the flat, thin adapter that plugs into the bottom of an iPod.

However, I think I may have figured out the issue. I just took a drive and played around with things a bit. Turned the car on and off and the iPod came back up playing where it left off!

Here's what I believe to be cauing my 'issues':

1. I've only been driving back and forth to work. So when I turn the car off and then back on, it's been long enough for the iPod battery to drain. Once this happens, the iPod can't possibly pick up where it left off. The battery is being drained because I have always had my iPod 'backlight' setting set to 'Always On'. The difference between my Honda and my Infiniti appears to be that the Infiniti does not supply power to the iPod when the car is off, whereas my Honda DID supply power when the car was off.

2. I'm hoping that if I change my backlight setting such that it's not always 'ON' then that will allow the iPod to sleep when the car is off and the iPod is not being used.

We'll see.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. As an aside...I've noticed that when I take a bluetooth call over the car audio system, my iPod does not pause until the call is released. It keeps playing while I'm talking on the phone. Anyone know if you can change that to where it will pause? I'd like to pick up where I left off when I finish my call, not be 2 songs down the playlist.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
As far as the bluetooth thing I can tell you that mine does this for all sources, including CD and Music Box, so Im guesing you cant fix it. Infiniti just decided not to pause whatever source when taking a call.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
2 things. There is no setting that I know of that will pause the ipod when an incoming call comes through. Secondly, the ipod will no go into a sleep mode when connected to the car. You have to manually turn it off when you turn off the car. This is obviously an interface problem however I don't know if it is a big enough problem for Infiniti to fix.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an ipod nano 4gb and mine goes into sleep mode when the car is off. I haven't driven my car in two days and just looked and my nano was off. Turned it on and it's still got a full charge so it went into sleep awhile ago. When I turn on the car the ipod will turn on and charge.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
mine does not go to sleep mode

Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
my battery drains too, its really annoying

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
take it off hold guys!

Easy fix

Hold = Car can't control IPOD completely.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by yapper
2. Does the Infiniti controller not turn off the iPod when the car turns off? I keep my iPod in my car and the iPod battery keeps running down. I see a 'charging' icon on the iPod when the car is one, so I'm assuming it's charging when the car is on and then discharging when the car is off, which implies that the iPod is not turning off when the car turns off. Again, this was not a problem with my low-tech 98 Honda Accord. ?????
It can turn the ipod off when the car is off, if HOLD is off.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
It can turn the ipod off when the car is off, if HOLD is off.
hold is the button lock on the ipods mike?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by 559MostWanted
hold is the button lock on the ipods mike?
Yes, that is correct.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
+1 on keeping it on hold. the ipod battery does not drain and it picks up the last song that was playing. never had any major issues with the ipod interface on the '08. btw, i use an ipod touch.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
well my hold button is always off....but ipod never turns to sleep mode?

so do i leave it on hold or off hold?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod Battery Drain on 08 G35 ???