FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my ipod only for the car but really don't have a problem with taking it out once every few days to charge it...it charges really fast and it's nice to check for those updates too...i am always downloading new music so i guess i don't really have a problem with bringing the ipod in to my house with me every few days...good luck on your charging expedition though

Old 09-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
infiniti has an updated cable that supports the iphone 3g, and i'm guessing the new nano. it is an 8 pin cable that works with both the old 16 pin and new 8 pin ipods/iphones.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
I use my ipod only for the car but really don't have a problem with taking it out once every few days to charge it...it charges really fast and it's nice to check for those updates too...i am always downloading new music so i guess i don't really have a problem with bringing the ipod in to my house with me every few days...good luck on your charging expedition though
Now that I've had the ipod for a couple of days I realize I might take it out of the car a little more often then originally planned so that I can sync some podcasts. However, it would still be nice to know that if there was an extended period of time that my ipod was left in my car it would still be kept charged when I'm driving.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
infiniti has an updated cable that supports the iphone 3g, and i'm guessing the new nano. it is an 8 pin cable that works with both the old 16 pin and new 8 pin ipods/iphones.
Really? Anybody have a part number?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes anyone know more about this cable? I just bought a new 2008 G35 in the last 3 weeks and bought the new nano to use in the car. I have the same exact problem and might take the nano back. I have a 2G iPhone as well and it does charge with the cable supplied with the car.

Last edited by MorganB; 09-20-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Well after further research I dont think that Infiniti has released a new cable, or at least not one that solves this problem. In addition to the pin change from firewire to USB the voltage also changes from 12v to 5v.... Not something a simple cable can fix...

Here's an adaptor that is coming in a few weeks that should work for us:

http://scosche.com/products/sfID1/21...productID/1667

Last edited by MorganB; 10-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
ruin the ipod?

[QUOTE=princealyy]BTW using the ipod in the car does ruin the battery (just an fyi) QUOTE]

Where is this info coming from?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ronbo25
Originally Posted by princealyy
BTW using the ipod in the car does ruin the battery (just an fyi)
Where is this info coming from?
Good question. I assume he's referring to the iPod battery (not the car)
I have a 3 year old 5th gen 60GB iPod video. I installed a Nissan/Infiniti iPod module almost a year ago and it keeps my iPod fully charged.
When I remove the iPod from the car the battery still last for many, many hours of music playback and a couple hours of video play back.
Maybe there is something wrong with princealyy's iPod battery or the charging itself.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
guys just fyi to overide your battery problem for ur new ipods you can just get a car inverter for like 20 bucks at a best buy or something very slim and sleek that has a usb spot so u can have it connected in ur car and have ur ipod charge at the same time u have it connected with the ipod connector in our cars.. and that inverter will work for anything besides ipods so its a good buy

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm having the same charging problems with a 3rd gen ipod nano. Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
bump

Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I got the scosche adaptor today. My 4th gen ipod nano was completely dead and I plugged the scosche in between it and the cable and it immediately came to life and started charging. Looks good so far and is a good solution since it requires no extra hook ups and is small. I will use it for a few days and report back.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a 160 Gig iPod Classic, I don't know if it is 3 Gen or 4th Gen. All I know is that it does charge in the car and seems to shut off after I stop the car. My previous iPod would stay on and drain the power. This iPod seems to work the best in my car. However, here is the problem I have:

My iPod recenty just froze up, it would not turn off and would not play. Even though it was hooked up to the iPod connection in the car it still showed the regular iPod screen and the car said that there was no iPod connected. The iPod would not even respond when I tried to reboot it (push the Menu and Center button at the same time). So I took it to the Apple Store and they hooked it up to their machine and gave it the equivalent of defibrillator and got it working again. Here is the crazy part, they asked me what was happening when it forze up. I told them I started my car. They said that for now on I should remove the iPod from the Infiniti connecter before I start my car because starting the car can give it a power surge. I pointed out that the Infiniti is set up to interface with an iPod but they insisted that is what I should so. I explained how ridiculous it would be to have to remember to open the console, unplug the iPod then stop the car every time I parked and then have to re hook it up everytime I get in the car. I told them they were nuts and walked out the door (after they replaced my iPod). I was so mad at what I thought was an asinine statement that I wrote Apple questioning their design. If they think a power surge from a car would be enough to harm the iPod they should go back to the drawing board. I have not heard back yet but I am not expecting much.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by MorganB
I got the scosche adaptor today. My 4th gen ipod nano was completely dead and I plugged the scosche in between it and the cable and it immediately came to life and started charging. Looks good so far and is a good solution since it requires no extra hook ups and is small. I will use it for a few days and report back.

I've used it for over two weeks now and it works perfectly . I looks like a good solution for anyone with a new iPod / iPhone. Do keep in mind its a bit thick so it might not go into the plug if you have a case.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by MorganB
I've used it for over two weeks now and it works perfectly . I looks like a good solution for anyone with a new iPod / iPhone. Do keep in mind its a bit thick so it might not go into the plug if you have a case.

I just ordered the same adapter. I finally got sick of the battery draining to nothing on my 4th gen ipod nano and having to always pull it out of the car to charge it. As I suspected, I mostly just leave it in the center console and only occasionally bring it out of the car to put new songs on it. So, I'd like for it to charge in the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation