FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation

I just received my new iPod Nano 8GB (4th generation) and when I connect it to my 2008 G35x it works fine as far as playing music is concerned. However, on the ipod screen is states the following...

"Charging is not supported by this accessory"

So, that stinks! Apparently this is true for the 3G iPhones as well. Something about changing the charging spec from Firewire to USB. I'm glad that the new Nano works fine with the ipod integration in my car for the most important thing, playing music, but it stinks that I'll have to take it out of my car to charge it. I was planning to load it up with music and leave it in my center console forever. It's the only reason I bought an ipod. Without my car's intergration I would never have bought an ipod.

I wonder if it's possible that a change to the cable itself could enable charging capability (assuming it's different pins in the connector on the new Nano that are responsible for charging)? I wonder if Infiniti (or anyone else) will eventually come out with a new cable if this is indeed possible?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow, Apple considers your car an iPod accessory.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by jimrockford
Yeah, the nerve!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jimrockford
And just about the same price as every other accessory Apple sells.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
On the plus side, I can overlook the charging problem after seeing how slick the ipod integration is on the G. I can navigate everything on the ipod with my left thumb using the steering wheel controls. Nice!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just as with the 3G Apple needs to get up off their asses and release a firmware revision that fixes this issue and the echo issue with the 3G. Apple dropped the ball on this one, they basically chnaged the specs in the firmware and told none of their partners. I wouldnt doubt Apples arrogance to be so much that they expect the other companies to conform rather than taking care of their customers and releasing a firmware revision that makes it work.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
I just received my new iPod Nano 8GB (4th generation) and when I connect it to my 2008 G35x it works fine as far as playing music is concerned. However, on the ipod screen is states the following...

"Charging is not supported by this accessory"

So, that stinks! Apparently this is true for the 3G iPhones as well. Something about changing the charging spec from Firewire to USB. I'm glad that the new Nano works fine with the ipod integration in my car for the most important thing, playing music, but it stinks that I'll have to take it out of my car to charge it. I was planning to load it up with music and leave it in my center console forever. It's the only reason I bought an ipod. Without my car's intergration I would never have bought an ipod.

I wonder if it's possible that a change to the cable itself could enable charging capability (assuming it's different pins in the connector on the new Nano that are responsible for charging)? I wonder if Infiniti (or anyone else) will eventually come out with a new cable if this is indeed possible?
if thats all that ipod is going to be for, then why did you buy the new one? i mean, if its going to stay in ur armrest compartment forever, then nobody will ever see it, so why not just get a previous gen ipod that will charge. you'll save yourself some money too. keep your new ipod as your everyday ipod, its really nice too and its the newest thing, i would think you want the newest thing in your hand, not connected to a car where your wasting all of the new features..

Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for posting this OP.

I'm actually in the market for the 2nd Gen Ipod Touch. I wonder if I'll run into the same charging problems.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the post OP!!! I was getting set to replace my old, old, old iPod (which I only have only used on vacations for the past few years) and the new Nano looked like a nice mix between the size and the storage.

We've been stuck in some traffic jams (from accidents) where we've had to wait mulitple hours and I always cursed that I didn't have DVD's with me in my old car. If I got a Nano and the hookups I could at least watch some video on those occasions (or long shopping trips with the wife!). The higher memory size is nice.

The smaller form factor is also nice. Right now my old iPod takes up almost the whole center console, and forget about it with the cable coming out of the bottom. I wonder if anyone actually tried to fit a full size iPod in that console when they designed it!

Either way, hopefully it's just a few wire changes on the Infiniti cable and someone will either figure it out or Infiniti will offer a new cable with the charging capability.

Thanks again for the heads up. At least I will now wait until I see if there is something resolved here. I really don't see the need to take my iPod out of the console as I will have my other one.

Jay

Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an old OLD ipod (4 yrs old) and i use it as a cd changer since it is 15 gb it works for me... plus i only own like 500 mp3's (i pay for them) so i have a nano for carrying around and keep the old one in the car.

BTW using the ipod in the car does ruin the battery (just an fyi)

I say get a cheap used ipod on ebay for the car, and keep the nice nano for carrying with you.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by markk132
if thats all that ipod is going to be for, then why did you buy the new one? i mean, if its going to stay in ur armrest compartment forever, then nobody will ever see it, so why not just get a previous gen ipod that will charge. you'll save yourself some money too. keep your new ipod as your everyday ipod, its really nice too and its the newest thing, i would think you want the newest thing in your hand, not connected to a car where your wasting all of the new features..
Looking at ebay sales it appeared 3rd gen 4GB nanos were still fetching north of $100. For the price difference I figured I might as well get a brand new 4th gen 8GB nano. And I should clarify, I might have been a bit extreme by saying that I was planning to leave it in my center console forever. I mean, I might use it on occasion outside my car. However, not enough to care about any of the new features. So, it really just came down to the fact that there didn't seem to be a huge (to me) price difference between a used 4GB nano and a new 8GB nano. I will admit I never even considered an older gen ipod classic that might have gotten me even more space. I didn't check to see what they were going for on ebay. That might have been the best move. Oh well.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
good find!
Should make lots of g owners happier if it works.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Really good find. Now if Infiniti and Apple could coordinate to release a cable so we don't need to have all of these adapters taking up even more room in our center console.
I was going to get the nano to save space but if I have to use one of these adapters I may as well not get it!

Jay

Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by DigMy35x
Now if Infiniti and Apple could coordinate to release a cable so we don't need to have all of these adapters taking up even more room in our center console.
I agree, and my guess is that will probably happen eventually but assuming this adapter isn't too expensive I will probably buy it. Just have to wait and see if it gets released when they say.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation