FYI concerning new iPod Nano 4th generation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZG35 6MT Blue
Has anyone else had the same problem?
It may not be an Apple design problem, as much as an Infiniti adapter problem. For instance, when the car is started, if the ipod adapter sends a voltage surge to the iPod, that's not Apple's fault.

No more than if your radar detector was plugged into your 12V cig lighter outlet, and if the car surged 24 volts through your radar detector on startup and ruined it... would it be bad design on the Radar company, when their product is only designed to handle 12 volts?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trebien
It may not be an Apple design problem, as much as an Infiniti adapter problem. For instance, when the car is started, if the ipod adapter sends a voltage surge to the iPod, that's not Apple's fault.

No more than if your radar detector was plugged into your 12V cig lighter outlet, and if the car surged 24 volts through your radar detector on startup and ruined it... would it be bad design on the Radar company, when their product is only designed to handle 12 volts?
Apple changed the pin positons on the new iPods and the 3G iPhones. This is Apple's issue. Had they warned accessory manufacturers this could have been avoided, but Apple is far too elitest to actually be proactive.

Maybe Infiniti will release a new cable that you can purchase, I believe Apple is finally giving out the new specs for the newer model iPods and iPhones. This is all caused by poor planning and poor communication on Apples side.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
To people with the scosche adapter: do you get a slight "hissing" sound(from the speaker) when you play your music? I took the adapter off and the sound is gone, so I know it has something to do with it.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I want a longer wire !!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Tried to put my Touch into the center console with the adapter, and it doesn't fit. Really pissed that there isn't a cable out there to fix this issue. or at least a much smaller adapter. I find myself now taking the ipod out of the car all the time to charge. Planning on just using an older ipod for the car and using the touch on the daily, since i do that n e ways.

already called infiniti a few times about a cable update, and they said it might be comming, to call back again.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by AZG35 6MT Blue
I have a 160 Gig iPod Classic, I don't know if it is 3 Gen or 4th Gen. All I know is that it does charge in the car and seems to shut off after I stop the car. My previous iPod would stay on and drain the power. This iPod seems to work the best in my car. However, here is the problem I have:

My iPod recenty just froze up, it would not turn off and would not play. Even though it was hooked up to the iPod connection in the car it still showed the regular iPod screen and the car said that there was no iPod connected. The iPod would not even respond when I tried to reboot it (push the Menu and Center button at the same time). So I took it to the Apple Store and they hooked it up to their machine and gave it the equivalent of defibrillator and got it working again. Here is the crazy part, they asked me what was happening when it forze up. I told them I started my car. They said that for now on I should remove the iPod from the Infiniti connecter before I start my car because starting the car can give it a power surge. I pointed out that the Infiniti is set up to interface with an iPod but they insisted that is what I should so. I explained how ridiculous it would be to have to remember to open the console, unplug the iPod then stop the car every time I parked and then have to re hook it up everytime I get in the car. I told them they were nuts and walked out the door (after they replaced my iPod). I was so mad at what I thought was an asinine statement that I wrote Apple questioning their design. If they think a power surge from a car would be enough to harm the iPod they should go back to the drawing board. I have not heard back yet but I am not expecting much.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
almost identical problem on our 2nd gen nano .. froze up .. but i was, in fact, able to do a soft reset (retained the music data) and it works like a charm. The wifey has been used the nano connected DAILY to the G for about 1 month now .. no issues, this is the first time.

other than this one, isolated event, the ipod charges fine, transmits data flawlessly to the infiniti sound system, and works 100% perfectly when disconnected and used portably.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by rsnboy1102
Tried to put my Touch into the center console with the adapter, and it doesn't fit. Really pissed that there isn't a cable out there to fix this issue. or at least a much smaller adapter. I find myself now taking the ipod out of the car all the time to charge. Planning on just using an older ipod for the car and using the touch on the daily, since i do that n e ways.

already called infiniti a few times about a cable update, and they said it might be comming, to call back again.
I put my iphone with the adaptor in the center armrest and it fits fine.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by antirice
To people with the scosche adapter: do you get a slight "hissing" sound(from the speaker) when you play your music? I took the adapter off and the sound is gone, so I know it has something to do with it.
I don't have that problem with the scosche and my first gen iPhone.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought the scosche adaptor for $19.99 from the apple store. So far, it works fine with my 5th gen ipod nano. I'll probably check the 2010 infiniti's next time I get an oil change at the dealership. Surely infiniti will have a 5v cable on their new cars.