How to install Boyo backup camera on 07+ sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not feeling comfortable with doing this install myself, I paid the local car audio place to do it (including video lockout bypass) and am very happy with the result. Total cost (camera + labor) $350, and was well worth it. I did not get the $250 interface - these guys just drilled a small hole into my console right on top of the RCA and ran/plugged the camera RCA cable right into my console RCA jack, very clean. Used the antitheft screws to secure the camera plate.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Nice! If you get a chance, can you post a pic of the screen so we can get a feel for the picture quality? Is the picture respectable?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67772363@N00/3887066543/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6777236...n/photostream/

Quality is more than decent, I can read the plate numbers of the cars lining up behind me when the lighting conditions are right. The only issue that I have is it's hard to tell how close you are to objects. Unlike the factory camera (which has distance markings) this one does not. Thus I am considering adding ultrasonic sensors too, but hate to drill holes in my bumper... it needs to be resprayed anyway though.

This This
is the camera I am using. You can't even tell that the licence plate cover has a camera because it is so slim and is covered by the bumper (out of the direct line of sight, unless you crouch and take a real close look). You can find it cheaper on eBay.

Last edited by dohturdima; 09-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dbyrams (12-15-2014)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey thanks. That picture is pretty nice. Do you have a need to be that precise that the camera view is inadequate? I think you could easily get a feel for distance by comparing the view with getting out of the car and seeing how much room you have.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Hey thanks. That picture is pretty nice. Do you have a need to be that precise that the camera view is inadequate? I think you could easily get a feel for distance by comparing the view with getting out of the car and seeing how much room you have.
It's a bit difficult to guesstimate distance in very close quarters - especially when you're trying to fit in a tight parking space. I guess you're right - I just need to get a traffic cone out and practice with it.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dohturdima

The only issue that I have is it's hard to tell how close you are to objects. Unlike the factory camera (which has distance markings) this one does not.

This is true, i guess like you said, gotta practice with a cone.
since the license plate on our cars are in the bottom, there's nothing to give you a base to judge the distance.
if it were on the trunk lid we can be looking down at the bumper to see how close it is, but we can't with this car.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by sg37
Hi Superfly,

I read the manual of the interface unit and I have some questions you probably can shed some lights.

1. Connecting the power supply wires:
- Connect the VCI-NIS1’s BLACK wire to chassis ground.
- Connect the RED wire to a switched +12 volt source.

Q: Just tape the black wire to the ground? Which +12 Volt Source? cigarette lighter?

2. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s BLUE wire the vehicle’s +12 volt reverse light supply wire. The reverse wire will show +12 volts when the vehicle is put into reverse.

Q: How do I find the reverse signal cable?

3. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s GREEN wire to the vehicle’s negative parking brake supply wire. The parking brake will show continuity to ground when the parking brake is on.

Q: Again how do I find the cable?

Thanks
Sorry, just got this. I'll try to get you the wiring info. I just used the shop manual for the reverse wire and VSS wire. I don't recall the colors off hand.

I will be swapping the Boyo license plate camera for a smaller sony camera, so if/when this happens, I can probably take some pics.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by superfly320
Sorry, just got this. I'll try to get you the wiring info. I just used the shop manual for the reverse wire and VSS wire. I don't recall the colors off hand.
Which manual if I may ask? I've been looking at interior panel, audio video and interior pdf but couldn't find it.

thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by sg37
Which manual if I may ask? I've been looking at interior panel, audio video and interior pdf but couldn't find it.

thanks.

Your in the right spot, but on page 206. On the top center, you should see the Parking brake and vss.

Hope that helps. I'm still working on pics, but proabably won't happen until this weekend.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Z2G
I'm really interested in doing this for my G35. So, to clarify, the simple setup (without the $250 module) won't automatically switch over to the camera when the car is put into reverse and you have to push the AUX button, right? And, the install only involves running the wire to the armrest box (AUX inputs) and the wiring for powering the camera, right?

The installer I called mentioned I may need an adapter to convert the video signal to the factory screen. I don't believe this is needed for the 07. Am I correct?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Z2G
I'm really interested in doing this for my G35. So, to clarify, the simple setup (without the $250 module) won't automatically switch over to the camera when the car is put into reverse and you have to push the AUX button, right? And, the install only involves running the wire to the armrest box (AUX inputs) and the wiring for powering the camera, right?
Yes, you have to press the AUX button and run the wire to the aux inputs (also, accessing a power source for the camera). The difficult part is having to bypass the motion lockout (we can't discuss it on this forum though - check your PM).

The installer I called mentioned I may need an adapter to convert the video signal to the factory screen. I don't believe this is needed for the 07. Am I correct?
You don't need that at all. The yellow rca cable plugs right into the RCA video input (may want to drill a small hole into a console box). There is a $250 or so switch that will allow the camera to turn on when you put the car in reverse, but I will hit AUX and save $250 anytime.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Z2G
Originally Posted by dohturdima
Yes, you have to press the AUX button and run the wire to the aux inputs (also, accessing a power source for the camera). The difficult part is having to bypass the motion lockout (we can't discuss it on this forum though - check your PM).

You don't need that at all. The yellow rca cable plugs right into the RCA video input (may want to drill a small hole into a console box). There is a $250 or so switch that will allow the camera to turn on when you put the car in reverse, but I will hit AUX and save $250 anytime.
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by kendroz
Need to plug and adapter to convert the video to RCA to plug it into the yellow rca in the console. Power is taken from the reverse light.
Check the link in your pm to see the procedure to by-pass video.
Will you please PM me the link?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought an OEM rearview cam from a wrecked G37 2008. I want to do a custom install on my G35X 2008.
Someone can confirm if this camera operate on 5V ?
Thanks!

jmed99: My aux is already bypassed and work well,
I will send you the link so check your PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by borderline
I bought an OEM rearview cam from a wrecked G37 2008. I want to do a custom install on my G35X 2008.
Someone can confirm if this camera operate on 5V ?
Thanks!

jmed99: My aux is already bypassed and work well,
I will send you the link so check your PM.
i would imagine its a 12V supply from the OEM camera control unit but i don't have the manual at my fingertips so ill check tomorrow.

switching the stock screen to aux mode can probably be done quite simply with a $3 relay from radio shack. get a momentary closure relay and use the 12V reverse power as the trigger, the contacts would be wired in *parallel* with the stock switch on the stereo display. wiring in series would mean you would have to trigger both to create a display change, in parallel allows either to make the change in display state. the relay would have to change states one it receives power or loses it in order to change the display back.

i'm not sure how easy it would be to isolate that wire from the display button but i would imagine it's been done before on similar applications

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to install Boyo backup camera on 07+ sedan