Adding subs to non-nav Bose 07 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding subs to non-nav Bose 07 G35x

I know I will definately get at least one response advising me to search for this but I am new to G35driver as I just bought my 07G35x with 14k miles about 3 weeks ago. I want to add my 2 12" Kenwoods to the car and it seems like i need to splice in before the audio signal reaches the Bose amp. I have found a few threads where it explains step by step how to do this but then I also read that the sticky that was available only covered G sedans up to 06. When i looked at the bose ampsub, there was a brown connecter with I believe 4-6 wires going in it i cant remember correctly the colors..maybe purple, green, brown...? Then there was another wire that led upwards from the amp which had only a white and a black..resembling the excellent sticky i found that listed the step by steps. Does anyone know which wires to splice into to steal the signal for the line converter for my RCAs?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stevec1129
I know I will definately get at least one response advising me to search for this but I am new to G35driver as I just bought my 07G35x with 14k miles about 3 weeks ago. I want to add my 2 12" Kenwoods to the car and it seems like i need to splice in before the audio signal reaches the Bose amp. I have found a few threads where it explains step by step how to do this but then I also read that the sticky that was available only covered G sedans up to 06. When i looked at the bose ampsub, there was a brown connecter with I believe 4-6 wires going in it i cant remember correctly the colors..maybe purple, green, brown...? Then there was another wire that led upwards from the amp which had only a white and a black..resembling the excellent sticky i found that listed the step by steps. Does anyone know which wires to splice into to steal the signal for the line converter for my RCAs?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

It is probably best for you to get the FSM for this job. Basically you have a couple of choices. I am not sure on your Kenwood's (are you speaking of powered or unpowered). In any case the Bose main amp appears to feed a sub amp. The signals to the amps are balance. If you are connecting a powered sub then you need to use a balance receiver if grabbing before either amp. This probably should be a non-inductor type. Your second choice would be to tap right at the stock woofer (not the output of the main Bose).

The wires going to it from the main Bose would be pins 16, 17, 21, and 22. This would give you the balance signal for the balance receiver. Pin 16 is plus and color is SB. Pin 17 is negative (note not ground, this is a balanced signal) and color is V. Pin 21 is a shield and should be connected to a shield on one end only and in this case that is Pin 21. Pin 22 is the amp on signal.

For you second choice you could use speaker level inputs and tap into that right at the speaker voice coil inputs.

The issue I mention as far as inductor based converters has to do with where you tap into. If you are tapping into a low level balance input than inductor based converters will affect frequency response. For example say you were to tap into the input side of the main Bose amp and you want to combine the left/right and front/back inputs. Putting an inductor based converter at this point may well result in giving the entire system a 'muddy' sound. Putting it after the amp, that is on the input to the sub amp would affect the lows to a certain point but not the rest of the system. Tapping right at the sub woofer itself on the voice coil would not but you may be exposed to whatever equalization may or may not be taking place.

My experience is that most speaker level converters are inductor based.

The easiest method without totally replacement of the Bose may well be simply using a speaker level converter right at the stock sub voice coil.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
i just got a kenwood sound set up installed, from these guys, just got it done a week ago or so, maybe if u can call them they will be able to help u or let u know how to hook it up: parkway sound

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Pfarmer, I was planning on just tapping into the black/white as indicated on the sticky I found but that only applied to 1st gen g sedans. I dont really know what the rest of the stuff you wrote actually means so maybe I should just drop this off for a pro to look at. I have a kenwood amp i was just gonna run from the battery with a fuzed connecter and try to tap in with a line converter- i've never used a line converter before and from what i remember from the sticky I just tapped into the black and white wires. Does this not hold true for the 07 sedan?
Djfarhan, i might give them a call they are in Everett- I work in woburn and live up near lowell so I might give MacKenzie's in Billerica a try too. Why did they drill in through the rear of your seat though instead of running those wires under it? I have the older Kenwood Tornado 700w 12"s that i might get rid of for one 12" jl w3v3 to save some space if i can find a space saving box aside from the one i see on here all the time that costs $350. Also is that a cd changer in your trunk?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
oh **** i didnt realise ur in MA, i was just giving u their number so u can call and atleast find out what they did,

the reason why i asked them to screw it to the back so that i have space in the trunk whenever i need it. so whenever i need to take my turntables for example to a club, i can just unplug my speaker box, put it away in my house and then use the space. in that way i dont haveta unplug everything if the amp was say screwed to the top of the box yknow what i mean., i had the same setup in my last class, thanks a guy from this forum actually, he gave me the idea.

and yes that is a 6 cd changer, it came stock with the ride.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Pfarmer, I was planning on just tapping into the black/white as indicated on the sticky I found but that only applied to 1st gen g sedans. I dont really know what the rest of the stuff you wrote actually means so maybe I should just drop this off for a pro to look at. I have a kenwood amp i was just gonna run from the battery with a fuzed connecter and try to tap in with a line converter- i've never used a line converter before and from what i remember from the sticky I just tapped into the black and white wires. Does this not hold true for the 07 sedan?
Djfarhan, i might give them a call they are in Everett- I work in woburn and live up near lowell so I might give MacKenzie's in Billerica a try too. Why did they drill in through the rear of your seat though instead of running those wires under it? I have the older Kenwood Tornado 700w 12"s that i might get rid of for one 12" jl w3v3 to save some space if i can find a space saving box aside from the one i see on here all the time that costs $350. Also is that a cd changer in your trunk?
I think the 07 is different because if it is the Bose with a powered sub then the output of the Bose main amp feeds the sub amp. If I remember correctly this is not the case with earlier car. Because of this then if using a speaker level converter you need to tap right at the current sub voice coil.

That is a cd changer in the trunk do you not have this in your 07? Do you have the Music Box?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
i have both the music box and the 6 cd changer...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
No i dont have a cd changer and what is a music box?? is that the hard drive becuase i dont think i have that either. I dont have nav i just have the premium sound bose system. Does anyone else know which ones i might want to splice into?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 PM
music box is the 10gb hard drive system where u can record cds from ur main cd player

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I got these from a buddy who works at Toyota..do these help at all pfarmer..my car does have the powered sub and there is a brown clip like in the sticky that has a black/white wire that goes upward towards the sub so im guessing that would be it. I might just take it somewhere since i dont really know what im talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Adding subs to non-nav Bose 07 G35x-infinitiaudiowiringdiagram.gif   Adding subs to non-nav Bose 07 G35x-wiring.gif  
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I got these from a buddy who works at Toyota..do these help at all pfarmer..my car does have the powered sub and there is a brown clip like in the sticky that has a black/white wire that goes upward towards the sub so im guessing that would be it. I might just take it somewhere since i dont really know what im talking about.
Steve,

Without going out and looking at mine to be sure, from what I see in the drawings which I have, the sub assembly has the sub amp close by. The wires on pins number 16 and 17 are the balance outputs to this amp. To use the speaker level convertor correctly I believe you should tap what is going to the voice coil of the sub which should be visible by looking at the sub.

I forget if the stock sub comes out of its hole top or bottom but what some do with stock subs is they replace them with ventilation when they replace with subs located in the trunk. So lets say the sub pulls out the top. You should easily see the wires going to the voice coil and this is where you can tap into them. If the sub amp allows the removal of the speaker you can discard the stock sub and put a ventilator in its place (or blank it off or leave empty).

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I believe it would be pins 16&17 as well but I've always read on other threads that I should put the line converter on before the audio signal reaches the amp becuase the bose amp is a piece and the equalizer does weird things to the bass. I think pins 16&17 would be the signal before it reaches the amp and would be the way to go rather than tapping in at the voice coil at the 5 pin connecter on the table labeled WOOFER on the diagram. What do you think?

Old 10-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I believe it would be pins 16&17 as well but I've always read on other threads that I should put the line converter on before the audio signal reaches the amp becuase the bose amp is a piece and the equalizer does weird things to the bass. I think pins 16&17 would be the signal before it reaches the amp and would be the way to go rather than tapping in at the voice coil at the 5 pin connecter on the table labeled WOOFER on the diagram. What do you think?
The issue becomes the line converter. Most are inductor based and placing it before the Bose amp will affect frequency response if inductor based which most seem to be. If we are speaking of before the Sub amp then maybe not as big of an issue. Most line converters are designed for speaker levels. If the line converter doesn't have a plus and negative lead powering it you can pretty much be assured it is inductor based (there are some that use what is called phantom power from the signal itself)

If you want to avoid all issues with equalization of the Main Bose Amp then the best way is probably the use of balance recievers which will not affect the frequency response of the rest of the system and tap in right in front of the Main Bose Amp (not at the head unit).

Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Steve,

It is probably best for you to get the FSM for this job. Basically you have a couple of choices. I am not sure on your Kenwood's (are you speaking of powered or unpowered). In any case the Bose main amp appears to feed a sub amp. The signals to the amps are balance. If you are connecting a powered sub then you need to use a balance receiver if grabbing before either amp. This probably should be a non-inductor type. Your second choice would be to tap right at the stock woofer (not the output of the main Bose).

The wires going to it from the main Bose would be pins 16, 17, 21, and 22. This would give you the balance signal for the balance receiver. Pin 16 is plus and color is SB. Pin 17 is negative (note not ground, this is a balanced signal) and color is V. Pin 21 is a shield and should be connected to a shield on one end only and in this case that is Pin 21. Pin 22 is the amp on signal.

For you second choice you could use speaker level inputs and tap into that right at the speaker voice coil inputs.

The issue I mention as far as inductor based converters has to do with where you tap into. If you are tapping into a low level balance input than inductor based converters will affect frequency response. For example say you were to tap into the input side of the main Bose amp and you want to combine the left/right and front/back inputs. Putting an inductor based converter at this point may well result in giving the entire system a 'muddy' sound. Putting it after the amp, that is on the input to the sub amp would affect the lows to a certain point but not the rest of the system. Tapping right at the sub woofer itself on the voice coil would not but you may be exposed to whatever equalization may or may not be taking place.

My experience is that most speaker level converters are inductor based.

The easiest method without totally replacement of the Bose may well be simply using a speaker level converter right at the stock sub voice coil.
Wow

Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I have no idea what balance receivers are..this LOC has the two adjustable screws on the back probably for gain purposes (meaning its not inductor based?) What are balance receivers? I have put my systems in my Silverado and Grand Cherokee and never had to mess with anything like the Bose amp i'm starting to think i should just bring it to a pro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding subs to non-nav Bose 07 G35x