Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received a PM from another member here who has a 2009 G37 Coupe and his BCM was missing one of the three wires listed in the install manual, so please keep that in mind.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Would this work on an 05?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I have no idea, all I do know is that it worked on my individual '07 G35x sedan.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm interested.. What are the benefits of this system and what are its features?

How hard was the install?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
It's basically a single-stage, adjustable shock/vibration sensor that is intended to trigger your OEM horn honk and light flash if it is triggered.

Originally Posted by hybridamp
If you're curious about wiring, you tap three wires at the BCM using the included posi-tap style wire taps and connect a ground wire using a bolt near the BCM.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok i got this in today on my 2009 G37 coupe with NAV.
There are AT LEAST 2 set of instructions floating around for this.

Instructions dated 12-15-2008 which say to connect to pink wire terminal #122 on connector M123. This wire DOES NOT exist on my 2009, but does seem to be on the 2008's and 2007's.

Instructions dated 10-28-2009 say to connect to WHITE wire TERMINAL # 123 on connector M123. This wire is there on my 2009.

...and FYI i am running the sensitivity at near max (11) on mine. Seemed very hard to get it to trigger at the lower settings.

Would this work on an 05?
My guess is you could prob make it work but you may have to figure out the correct wires to use. There is a DIY on the forum for an aftermarket one that is about 1/2 the price of this OEM one and known to work on the older G35's. Just do a forum search and you can find it.

How hard was the install?
Pretty easy really, you will need to disconnect the battery, pop off a couple finish pieces and wire tap 3 wires at the BCM. It can be done start to finish in about +/- 1/2 an hour.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM
^ I had to turn my sensitivity up also, I think I'm about 9 if memory serves me correct.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
does it flash and sound the horn once or does it stay on honking until i deacivate?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
It keeps flashing/honking until the normal alarm system cycle stops (should tell in the manual somewhere how long the cycle is, I'm guessing 30-60seconds?) or until you disarm it if you do so before the cycle completes...

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hybridamp, redwillow, can you make a scan of the installation manual and put it here? is there a part number on the shock sensor?

Last edited by Pasha; 06-27-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To answer your question hybridamp, yes, this works.

So, I figured I would take one for the team here and order the OEM sensor from that link posted above to see if it worked. The sensor arrived in a "kit" that included the sensor, wiring harness (with ground ring terminal), tie straps, posi-tap style wire taps, a small business card style owners guide, and installation instructions for what I think is the coupe.

Followed the instructions and several minutes later, voila, shock sensor working. I had to use a slightly different mounting location because the location that the instructions specified was blocked on my sedan, so I used an adjacent location.

The instructions show it installing to a large factory wiring harness near the BCM using a tie strap, but I couldn't get mine located on the harness as indicated due to a "Y" split in that harness. Maybe my sedan has an extra harness or something? Anyhow, I had another large wiring harness near the one indicated that it would fit on so I used it instead.

If you're curious about wiring, you tap three wires at the BCM using the included posi-tap style wire taps and connect a ground wire using a bolt near the BCM.

I'm receiving the kit tomorrow. Would you have any other installation tips/suggestions?

How long did it roughly take you to install?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OMG35S
I'm receiving the kit tomorrow. Would you have any other installation tips/suggestions?

How long did it roughly take you to install?

Thanks
Can you post pics when you get it? I've always wondered what it looked like.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Part of the problem, as far as the high sensitivity requirement goes, is that the directions call for tie-strapping the sensor to a bundle of wires.

A far better method would be to mount (hell, even 2 way tape) the sensor to something rigid, such as the firewall, dash support, etc etc. That way, when shock/resonance is transmitted through the body from say, an impact to the door (which is the function/aim, isn't it), then the sensor would be able to better detect that and trigger the alarm without having the sensitivity a near max in order to do its job.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 AM
^ not really looking to argue why that may be incorrect, but I most certainly wouldn't recommend ignoring the manufacturer's instructions; especially when major automotive alarm manufacturers (ie: DEI) recommend the same basic mounting locations for their common shock sensors. Ask any MECP installer and you'll understand.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by voltagefx
^ not really looking to argue why that may be incorrect, but I most certainly wouldn't recommend ignoring the manufacturer's instructions; especially when major automotive alarm manufacturers (ie: DEI) recommend the same basic mounting locations for their common shock sensors. Ask any MECP installer and you'll understand.

In essence, we're both correct

The sensor I was speaking of was the older alpine impact sensor, which required mounting to the frame or a rigid surface. Guess I'm showing my age if that's the last alarm sensor I installed lol

My friend who works at the local dei shop of the year confirmed what you posted, that the newer types of sensors do get wire tied to a harness. He also stated that the oem sensor must suck if it needs to be turned ip to almost max I order to work. He also said he could wire a dei sensor to either the hood or trunk trigger and save a bunch of money versus the oem sensor, and that would be all that's needed to honk the horn once triggered

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor ??