Install Backup Camera Using Stock Non Nav AV Harness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by markk132
man, theres GOTTA be a way to install that OEM camera just how it is stock as if it came with the car. i've never taken my stereo unit out or anything, but this has to be more plug and play than people make it out to be. if you can get the camera, trim, and wire thats long enough to go from camera in rear to front head unit, then it can't be that hard. and OP is saying it only cost him like 250 for those parts. i wish i knew the first thing about car electronics ughhh i would try this in a heart beat. btw, i have nav but not camera. i would seriously pay up to $1,000 to have an OEM camera put in.
You also need the camera control unit (CCU) and steering angle sensor.

I've looked in a car without backup cam ... the harness/connector in the trunk where the CCU would go is not there. I didn't bother looking to see if there is a connector in the steering column for the steering angle sensor.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs

I've looked in a car without backup cam ... the harness/connector in the trunk where the CCU would go is not there. I didn't bother looking to see if there is a connector in the steering column for the steering angle sensor.
this is correct, the harnesses are not present on base models, and i believe the steering angle harness is not present either. i was simply going to buy a molex connector from mouser and wire the camera accordingly then run a twisted pair back up to the AV harness where i can tap onto those wires. obviously this doesn't give me the guidance lines but oh well.

rpm&my_G35 - yeah ive been searching for pinouts of the LCDs so i could figure out where to tap the picture from but so far no luck. my belief is that if you could get the picture onto the stock screen then you could just use the OEM garmin touch digitizer as an overlay and shove the body of the garmin in your glove compartment. voila, OEM looking nav. but that would necessitate getting the PAC VCI NIS to switch between the stock screen, nav and backup camera. so that may be how i have to go in the long run.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs

My car does have nav though.. Are you talking about a car with no nav or with nav?? Also, I don't really necessarily need those lines on the screen that turn with the steering column, I'd be happy with just getting the image on my screen with no grid lines.. Do I still need the CCU for that??

Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
My car does have nav though.. Are you talking about a car with no nav or with nav?? Also, I don't really necessarily need those lines on the screen that turn with the steering column, I'd be happy with just getting the image on my screen with no grid lines.. Do I still need the CCU for that??
ah well if you have nav already then that makes life alot easier i would think! if i recall correctly then the nav stereo is ready to accept the camera and should have the wire in the harness already, whereas mine doesn't even have a wire there i don't think. i don't know if the camera control harness is in the trunk for you or if the tech package harness is different from the nav harness (which i thought they were bundled but i guess i was wrong).

and i think i figured out how to do what i'm looking to do with the garmin. i'll start experimenting with getting the video out to a regular LCD this weekend. maybe it will bear fruit.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM
C
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
ah well if you have nav already then that makes life alot easier i would think! if i recall correctly then the nav stereo is ready to accept the camera and should have the wire in the harness already, whereas mine doesn't even have a wire there i don't think. i don't know if the camera control harness is in the trunk for you or if the tech package harness is different from the nav harness (which i thought they were bundled but i guess i was wrong).

and i think i figured out how to do what i'm looking to do with the garmin. i'll start experimenting with getting the video out to a regular LCD this weekend. maybe it will bear fruit.
Can anyone confirm if the proper harnesses and plugs are included with the 07 nav package?? Or at least if someone can tell me where to look and what I'm looking for? Again, I'm totally willing to do this if I can get the parts for under $1k.. I would take the time to figure out how to install it if I knew it was possible with turning gridlines or without

Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
C

Can anyone confirm if the proper harnesses and plugs are included with the 07 nav package?? Or at least if someone can tell me where to look and what I'm looking for? Again, I'm totally willing to do this if I can get the parts for under $1k.. I would take the time to figure out how to install it if I knew it was possible with turning gridlines or without
installing the steering angle sensor looks daunting to me only because ive never removed a steering wheel. i really do think that the gridlines are such a great help though.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM
installing the steering angle sensor looks daunting to me only because ive never removed a steering wheel. i really do think that the gridlines are such a great help though.
The steering angle sensor is not of most importance to me right now.. I more so just want to know if I have the proper harnesses and connectors in the trunk and behind my AV unit. Again, if someone can tell me where to look and what trim pieces to remove to check I'd be happy to let you guys know if this is possible with the nav package

Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a great thread. I have an 08 with Bose but non nav or reverse camera (tech package?). Anyway, I could care less about the nav but I would love to have the reverse camera as if it came from the factory. I hope you have some success with this project.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Boyo camera and the VCI-NIS1 module. Planing on doing the install this weekend and have some concerns:

1. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s BLUE wire the vehicle’s +12 volt reverse light supply wire.
is this the cable orange #105 in the M85 connector?

2. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s GREEN wire to the vehicle’s negative parking brake supply wire. Is this cable violet #106 in the M85 connector too?

Thanks to all.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by kendroz
I have a Boyo camera and the VCI-NIS1 module. Planing on doing the install this weekend and have some concerns:

1. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s BLUE wire the vehicle’s +12 volt reverse light supply wire.
is this the cable orange #105 in the M85 connector?

2. Wire the VCI-NIS1’s GREEN wire to the vehicle’s negative parking brake supply wire. Is this cable violet #106 in the M85 connector too?

Thanks to all.
according to the shop manual you are correct. from the harness side (wire side) of the plug 107, 106 & 105 will be the first 3 wires reading left to right on the bottom row in the plug.

i love the simplicity of the VCI, just wish it was cheaper...oh well...

Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow you need sensors in the steering wheel ahh man

Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
according to the shop manual you are correct. from the harness side (wire side) of the plug 107, 106 & 105 will be the first 3 wires reading left to right on the bottom row in the plug.

i love the simplicity of the VCI, just wish it was cheaper...oh well...
Thank's, will do everything this weekend.
I will post results

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by samsizzle
wow you need sensors in the steering wheel ahh man
only if you want the lane guidance lines to display on the screen. now if you want distance readouts i have seen an aftermarket kit that will overlay the distance on the screen while you're backing up, but that also means you have to install the sensors.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Btw guys, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what wires and connectors I'm looking for in the trunk and behind my AV unit and I'll get to work on this.. If anybody knows please reply or PM me and I'll get to work and report back

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Btw guys, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what wires and connectors I'm looking for in the trunk and behind my AV unit and I'll get to work on this.. If anybody knows please reply or PM me and I'll get to work and report back
mark, i believe if you remove the interior trunk trim along the passenger side and rear of the trunk (away from the cabin) it should be in one of those two places just hanging. the camera control unit physically mounts on the passenger side. the camera plug would be a smaller female, 4-pin plug. the camera control unit looks like it uses a 32 pin connector, this is shown on page 419 of the pdf.

do a search for the service manual on the board here and download it. if you go to the AV section its on page 319. i don't know how to post it or i would do it for you.

Last edited by RemmyZero; 06-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Install Backup Camera Using Stock Non Nav AV Harness?