car pc in the works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
that's true. I wish I didn't have a touchscreen so I could do that. Why don't you just take the rgb input an put in on the second input of a liliput monitor? and I got a spare cup holder lid and started cutting yesterday. What I did was take out the clip system that is a push to release and replaced it with magnets so you have to pull the cup holder up in order to lift the lid. I also mounted the navigator to it and ran the wire into the center console. Looks great so far.. no the hard part lol. I also got my new (used) sun visors and thank god, the driver side is clean as a whistle (still going to clean it due to being a germ freak (not really) but it will make me paranoid lol) the passenger side has some dirt on it.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by zoop425
that's true. I wish I didn't have a touchscreen so I could do that. Why don't you just take the rgb input an put in on the second input of a liliput monitor? and I got a spare cup holder lid and started cutting yesterday. What I did was take out the clip system that is a push to release and replaced it with magnets so you have to pull the cup holder up in order to lift the lid. I also mounted the navigator to it and ran the wire into the center console. Looks great so far.. no the hard part lol. I also got my new (used) sun visors and thank god, the driver side is clean as a whistle (still going to clean it due to being a germ freak (not really) but it will make me paranoid lol) the passenger side has some dirt on it.
well i thought about that but its no different from what i have now then. i flip a switch to change displays. id only gain a little quality on the navi image. plus then i'd have to change how my backup camera works. ideally i'd want to have something where if i use both inputs the image auto-toggles to the headunit display whenever someone adjusts the temperature or something, then reverts back to the navi after maybe 5 seconds but that would have to be software driven i guess....

ideally i want the nav and the headunit info both displayed at the same time, which is why i'll probably go with aToxic's setup.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know which wires I'll have to tap into to install the lilliput touchscreen in the stock location?
I don't want to do dual screens. I would rather just replace the stock screen. I've looked at the service manual but don't clearly understand.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
are you talking about power or picture? im not at home right now and i dont have the manuals, i can check it out when i get back from vacation but right now i would just direct you to go back to the manual and located the RGB wires, if you're going to put in a lilliput then you'll need that RGB signal for the stock headunit image, then the power should be obvious. i hope that helps a bit. you'll have to wire those RGB wires out to a VGA adapter also, but that's not as tough as it sounds.

there is a thread on myg37.com that should help you, ill find it tonight and post it for you if i can grab a free minute.

cheers!

Bob

Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm talking about the picture. I'm not to worried about getting the power. I understand that I'll need to use the vga adapter but I'm worried about the other wires. I saw the it has a horizontal sync, vertical sync and sync. I don't know what the other wires are for.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need custom XP OS's? I can strip out all the useless processes and preinstall drivers for you. It's pretty much the only way to get that instant startup speed, also if you're serious about this car PC, get an SSD hard drive.

Are you guys keeping the stock stereo or controlling everything through the computer? This is what I had issues with, since my MR2 doesn't have all this space I had to convert everything to the Mac. It worked fairly well, used iTunes to control the music and used SyncTunes to sync my Mac Mini to my MacBook Pro whenever I got in range of my home's wifi signal.

But I didn't have the luxury of SSD back then, so definitely pick up an SSD drive and your CarPC will boot up in a few seconds tops. And also make sure you set it to hibernate when it loses it's power from the regulator. That way you won't have improper shut downs and it won't use any power at all, but will boot up where you left off.

On the side note, if anyone is interested:
I use to have a CarPC in my MR2, but sold the mac mini. So I still have a 140W, regulator link ,power regulator + the touch screen Lilliput 7"(EBY701) screen i'd be willing to sell. It's in a box enclosure, but I'm not sure it will work with our cars

It received touch screen signals through USB. It's the more common lillput monitor, with 800x480 up to 1024x768 resolution. If you want it just let me know. Oh, and it also has an auto reverse camera switch, if you decide to add one.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by rdeol
I'm talking about the picture. I'm not to worried about getting the power. I understand that I'll need to use the vga adapter but I'm worried about the other wires. I saw the it has a horizontal sync, vertical sync and sync. I don't know what the other wires are for.
i'm sorry i never replied to your post, i must have just lost track. have you made any headway or do you still need some help? in reality i think you only need the RGB and the lilliput should do it's own vertical and horizontal syncing but we can look into that. there is a member here named aToxic that has some experience doing this too. i am also planning on *attempting to shoehorn an 8inch screen (if i can find it) into the stock location this summer.

arashb - i myself kept the stereo, i run the audio for my computer through my parrot bluetooth system which has it's own self-contained 25W amplifier (and therefore independent volume control)