screen not turning on in cold weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 06:25 PM
|
screen not turning on in cold weather

Alright guys. I've done a lot of search but only found one dead end thread.

Every so often I'll turn on the car and the screen doesn't come on. I took a video that will save me having to explain much.

Basically every so often it won't turn on. I have found that by turning the car off and on (and arming the security system in between with the lock button on the keyfob) a few times it eventually comes back on.

You can see in the attached video that it turns on after one stop/start.

Has anyone else experienced this? My last car was a lemon, really hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.

Video Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qr96m6

Dead end thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...een-issue.html

J

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:54 PM
if this is only occurring in the cold weather then i would just take it to the dealer and have them replace the screen. you could always remove the screen and measure the pins on the harness to be sure it's getting power but if you're vehicle is under warranty i'd just leave it to them.

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:05 PM
|
Yeah, I'm still under warranty so I'll definitely be bringing it in.

Thx Remmy.

Old 01-21-2011 | 10:31 AM
no problem, sorry i couldn't offer something more to help you.

Old 01-22-2011 | 07:05 PM
Let me know if your dealer covers it! Unfortunately for me it happens when its cold as well but almost never in the morning, so im unable to reproduce it to the dealer for them to do anything about it

Old 01-23-2011 | 01:10 AM
Never had this happen, next time it doesnt turn on try turning on the screen with the "day/night" button the right side and see it that does the trick.

If not hold the settings button down while turning the volume button to the right or left quite a few times, approx 40, just keep turning until(if) the screen resets.

Old 01-23-2011 | 09:08 AM
my screen is abnormally dim in the cold so i have a feeling that the LCDs infiniti used may not have been rated for northeast/canadian temperatures.

Old 01-23-2011 | 05:56 PM
I had the same problem with my G and the dealer said it was the day night however... it turned out to be the screen... i would get it replaced if I were you ...

Old 01-23-2011 | 05:58 PM
I just watched the video, and this is exactly what happened to mine, when you take this and put it in day/night mode, then the screen lighting on the buttons also goes away. For me it was the screen... after replacement it never happened.

Now that I think of it, it might have been only on cold days that this happened for me too...

Good luck hopefully you have a cool dealer, like me who would take the video as proof of needing a new screen.

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:03 PM
Ok back to the original issue - finally reproduced in the morning today and was able to get into the dealer to diagnose it immediately. Error logs showed something along the lines of "CAN COMM ERROR 039".
Will need to see what comes out of this (i had to run, but the tech indicated he'll need to look it up to see what part needs to be ordered)

Old 01-24-2011 | 05:14 PM
|
Wow guys. Haven't checked back here in a while. Lots of good info.

I haven't brought the car in yet. Need to make an appointment. Comatose, please let me know what you find out from your dealer tech. I'll start with that when I bring mine in.

J

Old 01-24-2011 | 05:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Never had this happen, next time it doesnt turn on try turning on the screen with the "day/night" button the right side and see it that does the trick.

If not hold the settings button down while turning the volume button to the right or left quite a few times, approx 40, just keep turning until(if) the screen resets.
Actually, I never knew that button could actually turn off the screen. I learnt about it when I was playing with the screen on another day. Once I did learn about it I tried turning on the screen using it but no dice.

J

Old 01-24-2011 | 05:22 PM
|
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
my screen is abnormally dim in the cold so i have a feeling that the LCDs infiniti used may not have been rated for northeast/canadian temperatures.
So we got some really cold temps here today (-25c / -13F) and the screen was really washed out. Not dim. I wonder, is that what you experience or is it really actually dim?

J

Old 01-24-2011 | 05:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by princealyy
I just watched the video, and this is exactly what happened to mine, when you take this and put it in day/night mode, then the screen lighting on the buttons also goes away. For me it was the screen... after replacement it never happened.

Now that I think of it, it might have been only on cold days that this happened for me too...

Good luck hopefully you have a cool dealer, like me who would take the video as proof of needing a new screen.
Thanks Prince. What did you have to do to get the work done in your case?

J

Old 01-25-2011 | 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by jcrayamsterdam
So we got some really cold temps here today (-25c / -13F) and the screen was really washed out. Not dim. I wonder, is that what you experience or is it really actually dim?

J
i suspect dim because they likely use fluorescent lighting as a backlight, which takes time to warm up when it's cold out, although it could be another issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: screen not turning on in cold weather