Upgrading to an aftermarket Amp & Sub ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Upgrading to an aftermarket Amp & Sub ?

Hello, I tried to search it but didnt come across a good topic, maybe someone can help me find it.
But I had a 10" sub with a amp attached to the box, in my old car, it was very simple to install since the radio in the old car had the slots for the cables, but in the G35 I have no idea as to where begin besides putting the box in the trunk
Pretty much I want to keep everything stock but add my sub and 10" to everything, thank you guys

Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have u ever install a amp b4?????????????.. bcuz if u havent everything ima tell u is useless>>>>>>>

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM
yea i have, but I used to have a civic with aftermarket unit ... it took me 20 minutes to do it but on the G35 i dont know where to hook things up

Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somebody please help I need to know about this too. Is it possible?, will I run into any issues?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
it's very easy to add an amp/sub to the g. since you're familiar with this concept already ill trim down the instructions but basically you'll need to remove the head unit, wire in a LOC, then run your RCAs to the trunk using the door sills.

there is a pass-through to the trunk on either side of the rear seats if you stick your hand between the seat and the interior wall of the car. they are high up towards the top of the seatback, be careful as there is some sharp sheetmetal there. you can see the pass-through easily from inside the trunk if you remove the carpet panels under the parcel shelf. i may even have pics of this in my carputer thread.

as far as power there are some grommets on the firewall where you can run up to a 0awg or possibly 00awg cable but typically 4-8 should be plenty depending on how much firepower you're looking to put on your amp.

for your remote turn on i would recommend tapping that directly from the XM radio harness in the trunk. it just makes life easier in my opinion, then your amp is only on when the stereo is on.

the wiring diagrams are available right from the shop manual, which you can find here thanks to some other generous members:

http://www.sfplayers.com/serviceManuals/

if you have more specific questions just let us know. i'll be hooking my sub back up this upcoming weekend most likely so i could take some pictures then.

- Bob

Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 AM
ohhh ok, if you could take some photos id appreciate it
Now i got an idea of how to start thanks !

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
it's very easy to add an amp/sub to the g. since you're familiar with this concept already ill trim down the instructions but basically you'll need to remove the head unit, wire in a LOC, then run your RCAs to the trunk using the door sills.

there is a pass-through to the trunk on either side of the rear seats if you stick your hand between the seat and the interior wall of the car. they are high up towards the top of the seatback, be careful as there is some sharp sheetmetal there. you can see the pass-through easily from inside the trunk if you remove the carpet panels under the parcel shelf. i may even have pics of this in my carputer thread.

as far as power there are some grommets on the firewall where you can run up to a 0awg or possibly 00awg cable but typically 4-8 should be plenty depending on how much firepower you're looking to put on your amp.

for your remote turn on i would recommend tapping that directly from the XM radio harness in the trunk. it just makes life easier in my opinion, then your amp is only on when the stereo is on.

the wiring diagrams are available right from the shop manual, which you can find here thanks to some other generous members:

http://www.sfplayers.com/serviceManuals/

if you have more specific questions just let us know. i'll be hooking my sub back up this upcoming weekend most likely so i could take some pictures then.

- Bob
to make it easier couldnt u wire the LOC to the rear speakers instead of removing the headunit?

Last edited by pbabajan; 04-13-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah i thought i read on here somewhere that you can tap into the wires for the subwoofer/amp right there...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts