Want a GPS bluetooth in my non nav G.. ADVICE PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want a GPS bluetooth in my non nav G.. ADVICE PLEASE

I WANT A OEM '08 GPS config, menu buttons and all to replace my Non nav 2007 G35 Sedan. Is there anyway to place the Gps transceiver somewhere like the glove compartment and replace the top part of the head unit where all screen and menu buttons are? ANNNy way !? this is electronics and mechanics, there should be !

Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Call OC Infiniti in Westminster, Ca. They sell the entire kit...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Keep us updated with this conversion. I am curious as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
its more than replacing the screen and buttons. the head unit itself is also integral to the GPS, and stores the maps, and the bluetooth software, also because the buttons and touch screen all have to plug into the head unit itself. plugging a nav screen into a non-nav head unit won't work because the non-nav head unit will not recognize the touch commands or the additional buttons.

so unfortunately a full conversion will not be easy since it will require wiring changes to the harnesses in the dash. note that i'm not saying impossible, but definitely not easy and by no means cheap.

you would have to get the new head unit and the molex connectors for the back because the molex connectors on the non-nav and on the bose wiring harness do not all match. you'll have to swap some wires around too. you can see this for yourself in the shop manuals, just head to the AV section and they lay out the wiring pretty good. if you want the backup camera this also requires an additional brain, the angle sensor in the steering wheel itself and some more wiring.

if you want bluetooth you're better off installing an aftermarket parrot module like myself and as far as GPS goes there are several options you can exercise. you can get an iPhone mirroring kit, you can do what infinitJazz did and use your android phone, you can do what i did and install a carputer, etc....

if you do choose to do a conversion keep us in the loop. the labor and cost will be high but it will be sweet to have an OEM system in place....

Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
great info, i WAS looking at replacing the head unit in this swap, as for the reverse camera the car has already got it.. unfortunetly i cant visit any shops in OC cos i reside in Oman, so i might just drive to Dubai and get the parts.
so just to get this clear, i need the head unit, the buttons and screen, their molex connectors, gps transciever, and a few wires? thats it? and is it possible to mount the gps unit somewhere in the dash rather than the boot ?
thumbs up for the support guys, if this doesnt work out, ill just put the money in 20" shoes

Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 AM
so do you already have the bose system? what i would do is break out the shop manual and compare the pinouts for the wiring harness for the stereo. since you already have the backup camera and you may have the bose system you may find your wiring is closer to the nav package wiring.

you'll need the head unit, the screen, the buttons, possibly the CD changer for the trunk (if you want to use CDs for music) and the GPS receiver. some wire and it would help if you could get the molex connectors. you won't need them all but definitely 2 or 3 (once you confirm in the shop manual you'll see what i mean). you may need a tool to remove the pins from the connectors because i believe you'll have to swap some of the pins around too.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
yes the car came with bose system and the reverse cam. As for the NAV packages any idea where the NAV CD is inserted?, is it not one of the 6 CDs mounted in front, or will i have to wire an extra one (in the trunk) to take the Nav CD. And what about the location of the GPS reciever, where could that go without having to gut the car?
appreciate the help guys.. BTW where do you get these shop manuals ??

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
well the nav cd goes in the head unit because the nav head unit is the hard drive and a dvd reader, that's why you'd need the 6-disc cd changer, that goes in the trunk since the head unit is nav specific.
acura/honda uses a single dvd reader in the trunk but nissan went the reverse direction.

the gps receiver could easily be mounted in the upper part of the windshield or on the front dash where it has a good sky view. that's easy enough to do without major interior removal.

you can grab the shop manual here, courtesy of another forum member:

http://www.sfplayers.com/serviceManuals/

they will be your best friends for this, just head to the AV.pdf file. DIYs for removing the head unit, etc. are on this site also. just let us know if you need help. considering that you have the bose system already this shouldn't be too difficult for you to pull off actually. for those of us with base models it's a pain in the butt and not really worth it.

The following users liked this post:
mjs24 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
2nd gen's don't use a nav cd or dvd. It's all in the hard drive. The changer in the trunk is only for music, it can't rip cds for musicbox either, to me it's just dead weight.

That's why updating maps on 2nd gen is a hassle, and you can't get a bootleg cd/dvd since they load it via the CF slot from their computer at the stealership.

RemmyZero, you sound like you are talking about 1st gen's?

Originally Posted by RemmyZero
well the nav cd goes in the head unit because the nav head unit is the hard drive and a dvd reader, that's why you'd need the 6-disc cd changer, that goes in the trunk since the head unit is nav specific.
acura/honda uses a single dvd reader in the trunk but nissan went the reverse direction.

the gps receiver could easily be mounted in the upper part of the windshield or on the front dash where it has a good sky view. that's easy enough to do without major interior removal.

you can grab the shop manual here, courtesy of another forum member:

http://www.sfplayers.com/serviceManuals/

they will be your best friends for this, just head to the AV.pdf file. DIYs for removing the head unit, etc. are on this site also. just let us know if you need help. considering that you have the bose system already this shouldn't be too difficult for you to pull off actually. for those of us with base models it's a pain in the butt and not really worth it.

mjs24 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
2nd gen's don't use a nav cd or dvd. It's all in the hard drive. The changer in the trunk is only for music, it can't rip cds for musicbox either, to me it's just dead weight.

That's why updating maps on 2nd gen is a hassle, and you can't get a bootleg cd/dvd since they load it via the CF slot from their computer at the stealership.

RemmyZero, you sound like you are talking about 1st gen's?
you are correct, i was confusing myself with either the 1st gens or had my mind stuck on honda. yeah i agree for me the changer would be useless since i use my iphone for music and mainly listen to XM but i can imagine some people may enjoy it.

mjs24 - sorry if this puts a damper on your plan, this means you probably can't upload new maps yourself without finding some bootleg software or going through the CONSULT III system but i bet the dealer will still update the maps for you. if you're lucky and you buy a new head unit or used one maybe you will get 2010-2011 maps in it already for your location.

mjs24 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Great, i think ima start procuring once im bak to home town.
But just to avoid any confusion, my G has the Bose System, the reverse Cam, and a 6-CD changer within the headunit, nuthin in the trunk) .
updating maps procedure not a prob,,,
And as for the GPS sat comm unit, did u mean mount it ontop of the dash (visible) ? im guessing its not a wire, but a device unit right? cos im calling it off if its not factory looking. sorry but have that OEM bug with interiors.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
well according to the shop manual the GPS antenna sits under the front dash towards the center (and yes it's a device, not just a wire). i don't know how easily you could self mount it there. you could also extend the harness and mount it behind the rear view mirror, in which case you won't really see it while driving and people outside can't see it since that part of the windshield is tinted.