Playing music from iphone 5(s) in 08 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playing music from iphone 5(s) in 08 sedan

Currently I'm using the integrated ipod cable to play music from my iPhone 4s.
The 5s though, has the lightning pin. Is the easiest way to still play audio buy a 30 pin to lighting adapter, or go wireless Bluetooth streaming? I want the best audio quality and don't want to have to spend more than $50. The 30 pin to lightning adapter would work I assume but I've seen Bluetooth receivers that may be more convenient. Anyone currently play music through their iPhone 5, I'd like to know what works well.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Get XM

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Get XM
I have XM but on my phone I use spotify (I'm a premium member). XM cuts out a bit also, I really would like to still have the ability to play songs from Spotify in my car.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
If you get a new iPhone, you are going to have to buy adapters no matter what. So get the adapter, see if you like it. Really the limiting factor is going to be the crap stock stereo system. Adapter vs bluetooth really wont make much difference.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
If you get a new iPhone, you are going to have to buy adapters no matter what. So get the adapter, see if you like it. Really the limiting factor is going to be the crap stock stereo system. Adapter vs bluetooth really wont make much difference.
The stock (Bose) system isn't that bad is it?
I feel it lacks some bass but other than that I don't see whats crap about it.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
He is in an 08...

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM
con
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Currently using the 4s but will be getting the 5s here in a few weeks. I see it as oem ipod cable -> charging adapter (if you want that feature) -> lightning adapter -> phone. It is a mess of cables but appears to be the only way. I do believe Bluetooth will reduce sound quality. Strictly theory, but I'd compare it similar to radio quality vs CD quality. It will depend on the bit rate quality of the your music too though and I have not used Spotify yet.

Maybe we can take the arm console apart, retrofit all the wires under it, and extrude a lighting adapater into the armrest? I'm scared.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I bought the 30pin-lightning converter/adapter and plan to try that when I get my phone (back ordered and wont get it til late October, apparently) what is the charging adapter?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM
con
Originally Posted by Clueless
I bought the 30pin-lightning converter/adapter and plan to try that when I get my phone (back ordered and wont get it til late October, apparently) what is the charging adapter?
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Cablejive I believe makes one too but this is the one I got.

It's an adapter that routes the new pin layout from the old 30 pin to the newer ones.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by con
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Cablejive I believe makes one too but this is the one I got.

It's an adapter that routes the new pin layout from the old 30 pin to the newer ones.
so that thing will allow a 4s to be charged while plugged into the stock adapter cable?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM
con
Originally Posted by ProKiller
so that thing will allow a 4s to be charged while plugged into the stock adapter cable?
Yes but you have to have the OEM infiniti cable. There are sellers that sell ipod cables for the car that won't allow charging even with this adapter. I found out the hard way.

The following users liked this post:
ProKiller (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cool thanks man, just placed the order for it.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iPhone 5s Update

Despite some of the broad representations in earlier posts, I can confirm that neither of the Apple lightning-to-30 pin converters worked for me.

I have a 2008 G35 Journey with Nav/Bose. I tried two converters from Apple: (1) http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3c and (2) http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=3c.

When I plug either converter onto the factory cable, the phone doesn't even register as connected to the car.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
con
I now have the iphone 5s and have full audio control and charging capabilities as if it were an ipod classic. Check my post above for the requirements. I went to best buy for the 30 pin to lightning in case it didn't work it'd be returnable, but it does. I seen various retailers sell the lightning adapters for a buck or two. Get the $30 one as the cheap ones seem to have problems.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. I bought both converters directly from Apple. Just to confirm, which model G35 do you have? Also are you using the factory cable (Part # 284H2-1BA0B) and simply attached the adapter at the end of that (or are there additional adapters installed)?

Will try to return the converters I got.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Playing music from iphone 5(s) in 08 sedan