when to change brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cousin T
The guy I just bought my car from said that they are as suppose to last to 50k miles, and that the dealer will replace them for free if they don’t. Is that true?
man the things ppl say to sell a car , while its possible for the brakes to last to 50k(doubt it though), but the dealer wont change the brakes for free!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
depending on how u drive, it should last about 50k miles (+/- 10k miles). But yea, change them when the indicator starts to squeel....

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
The Autozone brakes (Duralast or whatever they're calling them these days) are crap and will destroy your rotors.
Why would anyone buy brake pads for a autoparts store, you're much better
off with OEM pads. Or if you'll do some research there are some really good
brake pads on the market....just not sold at Pep Boys! LOL If you don't do
your own oil changes ask the tech to check your pads (brake). I know the
thickness of the pads when I installed them so about the time I have 30%
left I put in an order for new Hawk HP pads.
Gary

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not to hijack this thread from OP,

but since we are on brakes, my 2005 g35x needs new brakes cuz she's squealing for a while now.
I want to replace everything, pads and rotors the whole thing.
What brand do i look at if i want: Most is long life, second most is good braking, third is realibility.

thanks.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How in the world are you guys getting high mileage out of these pads. I have 20k on my G and it squeaks bad. Have an appointment to replace the pads Monday at the stealership. $220 which includes resurfacing rotors if needed. No track days here, normal driving and very little traffic.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baileyt35
How in the world are you guys getting high mileage out of these pads. I have 20k on my G and it squeaks bad. Have an appointment to replace the pads Monday at the stealership. $220 which includes resurfacing rotors if needed. No track days here, normal driving and very little traffic.
you must ride the crap out of those brakes then...cause 20k miles and pads are gone?? that's unheard of...especially when you live on the flattest state in the US

Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow - was just at discount tire getting the tires balanced, and while the wheels were off checked the pads. They're still close to half, which is still amazing to me.

baileyt, if you're encountering squealing under light braking, which then goes away when you brake harder, it's not dead pads. Mine do that too, as do others on the site - guess it's a G brake thing.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Wow - was just at discount tire getting the tires balanced, and while the wheels were off checked the pads. They're still close to half, which is still amazing to me.

baileyt, if you're encountering squealing under light braking, which then goes away when you brake harder, it's not dead pads. Mine do that too, as do others on the site - guess it's a G brake thing.
Actually I am. I took it to the stealership hmmmm, about 2 months ago when I got an oil change. They took it for a drive and said they heard nothing but then again it was pouring down raining. So of course in the rain they aren't goign to hear anything. They didn't even take the tires off to check the pad level. Its so embarassing driving around in the G and yes under "light braking" they squeal. That just doesn't seem right, but when I break hard I NEVER hear a thing. So yours does it to? I was just going to insist that they change the pads on Monday if they call me back and say the pads still have life on them. Its so annoying.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gary c
....just not sold at Pep Boys!
I bought Hawk HPS' at Pep Boys

Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by baileyt35
Actually I am. I took it to the stealership hmmmm, about 2 months ago when I got an oil change. They took it for a drive and said they heard nothing but then again it was pouring down raining. So of course in the rain they aren't goign to hear anything. They didn't even take the tires off to check the pad level. Its so embarassing driving around in the G and yes under "light braking" they squeal. That just doesn't seem right, but when I break hard I NEVER hear a thing. So yours does it to? I was just going to insist that they change the pads on Monday if they call me back and say the pads still have life on them. Its so annoying.
mine squealed early in its life....no squeaks in over 18000 miles

Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech took the pads off and I had a good amount left, just alot of dust. I told him to go ahead and change the pads didn't want to have to come back. I'm squeak free now!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I had a friend of mine whos a mechanice check my brakes because they were squeaking under light pressure and he told me they were my back brakes that were going bad after only 19,000 miles put on the car. From what I read around the forums the back brakes get used just as much if not more then the front brakes on this car, I guess to keep from nose diving. Im getting the back ones changed soon to some hawk pads and hopefully that awful sound will go away.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
it depends where you live and how you drive around here (wash. dc) it will vary on the new cars from 28k-35k for rears to reash 2/32nds and start squealing and the fronts upwards of 40k miles to be done. and i have seen them as early as 15k for fronts with horrid aggressive driving.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Just curious what is the thickness of the front and rear brakepads? Just got a new set of tires and I noticed the front pads looked to be about 3/8" thick and the rears significantly less, maybe 1/4", does this sound about right for
22k miles (I don't drive the hell out of it either, lol ). At what thickness would you recommend changing them out?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I had the same problem with my S and couldnt understand it. They told me that my brakes got "dry" and needed to be lubed up.... ok but that doesnt explain to me why on a car like this I am replacing the pads every 25K with non crazy driving. My '04 G's brakes lasted sooo much longer. It bad enough the tires suck on it. I dont want to get after market rims to get better tires 'cause I tear the ones I have up and I got the dang camera.. lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: when to change brakes?