My new tires initial thoughts Kumho Ecsta LX platinum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the LX Plats on my G for 25K miles now. fronts will probably get another 10-15K on them and are showing very even, light wear with no cupping or feathering i can detect with my hands or eyes. rear's are starting to show the wear bars on the inside edges due to the negative camber on rear.

i just took the car in for an alignment. the fronts were dead on. the rear's had gone from -1.3 camber all the way to -2.1 (roughly, there was slight variation between the two sides). infiniti alignment tech said it may be time for new springs or struts. for some reason the left was worse than the right. anyway, he had just enough adjustment to get both sides back down to -1.1 camber in the rear so they are set there now. next alignment, i may need new springs or struts to get the ride height back up enough for a proper adjustment. i don't really carry much heavy in the car or trunk except my kids so don't really understand this at 60k miles on the car.

i was planning to get new rear tires this summer, but now am thinking of having the tire shop dismount and swap the rear tires left to right. my understanding is while these kumhos are asymmetric, they are not directional. so, paying the tire shop to have them swapped would put the outside tread pattern on the inside, which MAY affect handling but will also put the most worn part of the tire on the outside and the less worn part on the inside extending life.

if the tire shop will do this (haven't asked yet) i will report back on the effects. doing so should make it possible to extend the life of the rears to match the fronts and basically get another year out of the rears. i don't really drive the car much in the winter so winter traction isn't an issue for me and i don't think it will matter much in the summer and in the rain.

otherwise, i'm very happy with the kumhos. like others have posted, the sport corning isn't up to the level of a stickier tire, but the ride is very comfortable, quiet, and smooth and i really enjoy driving the car with this rubber on it. with a good alignment, tire life is decent.

i run the fronts at 40 psi and rears at 32-34, just enough to keep the TPMS light from coming on. with the current alignment, the car handles, drives and tracks straight and is a joy to motor around in.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my g35s it had the kumho tires on it. After driving around 20k miles on them they were shot with the inside of the tire almost bald and the outside more than 30% tread left. The infiniti alignment tech said that everything was in spec, and said that was normal. Now I am using the discount tire Yokohama yk580 and love them. they will definitely last longer than the kumho tires. They have a little more give during initial turn in (softer sidewall) than the kumho tires and should flex more to allow the tire to sit flatter on the road.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, the tire shop did the rear left to right swap for me (dismount and flip on rims and remount). the inside tread is hitting the wear bars and the belt near the edge had shifted/migrated in about an inch. i have seen this before from kumhos on a different car. cost to do the flip was $33.

i have ordered the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 XL to try on the rears next.

so far, reversing the kumhos caused a slight increase in road noise, but the car handles and drives very well on dry roads. i have about 300 miles on the reversal and will keep them on for awhile knowing i have the Hankook's handy in reserve for the time when the kumhos finally give out. i will have to remember to swap the new rears left to right at about 18k-20k and not wait too long to the point the inside wear is so dramatic.

amp