AWD Spacers Vs. Staggering.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD Spacers Vs. Staggering.

Okay so after reading a trillion threads well not that many but alot of articles and threads and other things on AWD and different size wheels i have come to the conclusion that maybe running a staggered set up on AWD vehicles affects the system. So i went out and bought my self uniformed wheels.

after dropping the car i noticed that the tire does not sit as close to the body as i want it to, so like my previous cars i am going with spacers. i am thinking 10mm spacers. so the questions is... and it maybe an obvious question to some but since i am totally clueless about engineering and (ill admit life in general) i don't know if using spacers in the back ONLY is the same as being staggered.

i thought the only thing was the tire rotating a number different of times per minute because of the side wall and width differences so if anyone can help me please do so ! thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i wouldnt im getting spacers on my X next year and doing the same all around. but i dont know if running just the back will change anything for you

Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Spacers are not the same as staggered. Metric tires use a ratio based on wheel width and sidewall height. With a wider wheel that ratio gets slightly thrown off which is what causes the problem in the X. The ratio is the same using spacers, the wheel is just pushed out further.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by popsnicker
Spacers are not the same as staggered. Metric tires use a ratio based on wheel width and sidewall height. With a wider wheel that ratio gets slightly thrown off which is what causes the problem in the X. The ratio is the same using spacers, the wheel is just pushed out further.
thank you for the reply ! it makes a lot of sense. keep those replies coming i'm ordering my spacers soon!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 PM
the sensors dont move with the wheel though. it will read it as uneven if im not mistaken. to be honest man, i would just do it and drive around and see if it throws and VDC/SLIP warning lights up after normal driving. i talked to the service dept about adding new wheels and they said even adding staggered wheels wont cause any safety issues. i would get the spacers and then if down the road you need to even it back out, take em off or get ones for the fornt...lol. my .02

joe