My 09 G37xS (AWD) Lowered on Tanabe - Droopy Bum fix too!(PICS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb My 09 G37xS (AWD) Lowered on Tanabe - Droopy Bum fix too!(PICS)

Here's my 09 G37xS, in all it's beauty, with it's huge fender gaps. I bought the Tanabe's, hearing bad stories of the saggy bum, and a FEW members having luck with an even drop.

To this day, i still don't know how they accomplished an even drop. I've got the newest Version of the Tanabe nf210 - Part Number TNF130(not a Cross-reference V35 spring anymore). So for anyone buying these in the future, a lowered rear is still an issue.

Here's some BEFORE PICS ** REMEMBER, THIS IS AN AWD, NOT Touring, NOT SPORT

Pics of INSTALL

RESULT OF SAGGY BUM

That's a little TOO low for me, especially compared to the Front. So i took out the Rear Upper Spring Mount(RUBBER)

I then bought some "Energy Suspension"(URETHANE) Generic Coil Spring Mounts -Part number:9.6120 for a 5/8" lift

The Energy Coil Mount, in it's Original form, doesn't fit properly. I Didn't under any circumstances want to modify the stock mounts. The upper part is obviously just a thin metal/plastic with a Mold of rubber on it,so i wanted to leave it as is. So I took a Dremel bit an a good 15 minutes per side to get THIS - Observing the Proper angle, to avoid taking off too much

-- AND, THE FINAL RESULT --

In case you Guys are Wondering, for Alignment, left everything Stock. Toe for both Front and back were adjusted BACK to SPEC, with Plenty of room for Rear and Front(obviously).
FRONT CAMBER(non adj.) Ended up being -1.1 Degrees
REAR CAMBER Got to -1.8 Degrees, Closest to spec i could with stock Eccentric

IMPRESSIONS
I Would like the front a LITTLE Lower, But i wanna see how this Ride Height Handles the next winter, so this is how she'll Sit for the next 11 to 12 months. Hopefully Coilovers For the Front of our X's are out by then.

I've got some WORK REZAX II's Coming this Week, can't wait to mount them!

The following users liked this post:
momog37 (01-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
this should be stuck!!
great DIY and car looks good after fix

Old 05-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Haha thanks!

I'm assuming only the moderators make this a sticky?DOMO

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Nicely done. The winter driving with lowered car is one of my hold back to drop it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Good job, looks way better without the saggy bum. Have you seen InTgr8r's sedan on 370Z springs? Though not an X, he seems to have gotten the gaps perfect, you might be able to take some tips.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! I have the same springs installed 2 weeks ago and the rear sits too low so this DIY is great.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Well done! any chance we can get another size for the energy suspension? Or are they all like that? We would still have to dremel through it?

On the flip side, if we leave it as is, will that be an issue?

Nice drop though!

Any driving impressions?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Well done! any chance we can get another size for the energy suspension? Or are they all like that? We would still have to dremel through it?

On the flip side, if we leave it as is, will that be an issue?

Nice drop though!

Any driving impressions?
IF i remember correctly, The size that fits both the spring AND perch, you either have a choice of a 3/8" or 5/8".

Driving impressions? Pretty satisfied overall, very composed, got rid of ALOT of the Cushy ride the original springs had, the stock G doesn't have much body roll, so there's not Alot of improvement there. Looks wise it's 10x better. To me, the springs are almost TOO soft. they are stiffer than OEM by a small margin, But i've come from a 350z and a S14 that were both Lowered on Stance and Cusco Coilovers that were probably 3xtimes the spring rate....so take it with a grain of salt.

I couldn't get the rear camber quite back to stock, and the front has slightly more camber, but it still has good road manners.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well written and nicely done. i believe this is the way i will go to lower to my car. how hard/easy was it to install the springs itself?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky_One
well written and nicely done. i believe this is the way i will go to lower to my car. how hard/easy was it to install the springs itself?
I had a local shop installed the front springs for $135 and did the rear myself.

Last edited by superG35; 05-20-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Coryuyede
IF i remember correctly, The size that fits both the spring AND perch, you either have a choice of a 3/8" or 5/8".

Driving impressions? Pretty satisfied overall, very composed, got rid of ALOT of the Cushy ride the original springs had, the stock G doesn't have much body roll, so there's not Alot of improvement there. Looks wise it's 10x better. To me, the springs are almost TOO soft. they are stiffer than OEM by a small margin, But i've come from a 350z and a S14 that were both Lowered on Stance and Cusco Coilovers that were probably 3xtimes the spring rate....so take it with a grain of salt.

I couldn't get the rear camber quite back to stock, and the front has slightly more camber, but it still has good road manners.
So there really isnt any workaround the dremelling of the energy suspension eh?

I guess my issue with that is, you cant have the energy rubber ready before the install since you wont have a good feel of the rubber mount unless its right in front of you. So can test it out between dremelling.

I dont have the skills to install the springs myself. I would have to get someone else to do it.

Driving impression: Im more concerned about body roll. If it improves body roll a lot; then I would be interested in the springs.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM
interesting- i just got the same springs installed last week. my rear does sit lower then the front- but definately not as bad as yours before you installed the energy suspension. i do not have an X tho- so i suppose that is the difference? my drop looks closer to your AFTER install w/ the energy suspension- its pretty level- but the rear is still slightly lower- and i believe thats simply from the OEM fender lines.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
real nice job fixing this " on the fly" with the urethane spacers!!! looks very nice!!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky_One
For me, it's about a 1 or 2 out of 5 in difficulty. I used to Work at a Nissan/Infiniti Dealership as a lot guy/Detailer/Technician, yes, all three..lol, not all at once.

I rented the spring compressor from a tool shop, that's the only tool i didn't have. but i highly recommend you own a competent air compressor and impact gun. Using hand tools on the spring compressor tool is flat out depressing..lol

Originally Posted by cmo23
interesting- i just got the same springs installed last week. my rear does sit lower then the front- but definately not as bad as yours before you installed the energy suspension. i do not have an X tho- so i suppose that is the difference? my drop looks closer to your AFTER install w/ the energy suspension- its pretty level- but the rear is still slightly lower- and i believe thats simply from the OEM fender lines.
I can't explain how the x ride height would be so different with the same springs, of course the weight distribution is different, but about the same amount of weight is over the back wheels as a RWD model, just more mid-front weight really. Yea, i think it's been discussed before, the Rear fender cutout on the G have a Smaller Radius Cutout than the fronts. Not a big deal, and somewhat common. But a pain in the *** when your picky about an even drop. You either get the fender gaps even, or get the side skirt parallel to the ground with a little more front gap, can't have it both ways.

oh well, it's better than my 02 Altima. It has so much front wheel gap and so little rear wheel gap stock, it's doing a permanent wheelie..lol

Originally Posted by Triton3.5
real nice job fixing this " on the fly" with the urethane spacers!!! looks very nice!!
Thanks

Looks weren't important too me, i just didn't want a crap home made coffee can spacer breaking on me on the highway. The fact it turned out clean is just a bonus.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Incredible work. At first I had assumed by 'saggy butt' you meanted the fender wells were lower in the rear (normal) but from your pictures, it is clear there is something wrong with the unevenness of the drop. Kudos!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 09 G37xS (AWD) Lowered on Tanabe - Droopy Bum fix too!(PICS)