Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is so strange.

I bought the car at 50k miles and this issue didn't show up until 68k miles. The car was smooth was butter then after the 2012-2013 winter, it started getting this issue.

It first started out when I was climbing a snowy hill and the AWD system worked fine. It was just very rough around the edges.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Any updates on this issue?

I commute daily now and the hesitation around 40MPH when light on the gas pedal is SO annoying during the first 10 minutes of my drive TO AND FROM work.

I refuse to pay Infiniti dealership $100+ per hour just to diagnosis it as they quoted.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
When did you last get your transmission fluid changed?
Right after the issue started happening. Didn't work.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update that I have continued to have the problem for about 15k miles (65k to 80k). I have completely changed the ATF (14q total flush), with only minor improvement. Adding a shudder stop did change the behavior, but it has not gone away.
I also have wondered about a system (drive train) resonance issue. It seems to be initiated by the transmission, but might also involve other parts of the drive train once it starts. I can believe that the torque converter is the most likely root problem.
It is too bad...I really love this car except for this awful issue. It is really embarrassing when passengers think that you are pumping the gas and making the car jerk on purpose.
-Disappointed

Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Manual Shift Mode

On my car, the problem was at its worst in regular drive (D) and shifting to DS and changing gears could get the problem to stop. As it progressed, it would have the problem in D and DS in 2nd and 3rd gear, and if the problem would not stop by shifting to 4th or 5th once it started.
The car also has what must be a related issue that is getting worse... There was a less sever shudder around 20mph, but now it is possible that if I am driving at 20mph and let off the gas for a few seconds and then accelerate hard that the car has a single hard jerk. This also seems to be torque converter related.
The problem was occurring more when the outside temperatures were warm, but now it does it in any weather. Sorry my comments are not more help. I am an engineer and I hoped to figure this out, but it seems there is no simple (low cost) trick to fix this issue. I assume Nissan/Infiniti knows what the problem is, and it would be great if we at least knew what was going on and how to prevent making it worse.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
Your symptoms are somewhat different from what I and others have experienced over the years. IMO your transmission may have other issues that are exhibiting similar symptoms.

•My symptoms never occur in first through 4th gear

•Manually shifting from 4th to 5th always gets rid of any shudder I have had

•Minimum speed for any shuddering 35-40MPH

True. My issue started exactly as you describe in the three bullets above, but now has a host of transmission issues as it has progressed for three years. I wanted to share the point that it obviously does not resolve itself, it does get worse, but it does not seem to produce short term catastrophic failure.
Does this problem occur with the 7 speed transmissions as well? If it is not resolved on the newer G37 models, then I have no interest in buying another Infiniti.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
Hey guys, definitely not a wheel balance issue. In fact, just to be sure, I had them rebalanced in the summer. From what I've read, and what my mechanical knowledge tells me, is that the torque converter is locking/unlocking at that speed range.

To answer your questions:
-Yes it's an auto, 5AT w/AWD (this problem is not with the AWD though).
-By shudder I mean holding the car at 40mph (60kmh) at a steady cruising speed (but not in cruise control)
-It feels as if the car is going over ripples on the road, slightly bucking forward and back really quickly, mossman said it best: it feels like you're in a manual car in 5th gear when you should be in 3rd, the car bucking and "shuddering"
-I attempted swapping over to DS (sport) when I feel shuddering, and it does not go away (unless the gear changes)
-It happens on level roads, and inclined roads. you definitely feel it more on inclined (uphill) roads. haven't noticed it going downhill.
-It's doing it at approximately 1500RPM

Wayne (gee35x): So this surging/bucking only happens when you're in cruise control?

So some of you guys are having this issue as well, you know what I'm talking about then, hopefully all our minds and efforts together will get this dealt with.

Thanks for all this research and problem descriptions.

I'm having a similar problem with my 08 G35x ~65000 miles. I feel an abrupt stutter/shudder in the drivetrain under the conditions you described, but it's very brief (less than a second) and very noticeable). Is this what you guys experienced or is it a more prolonged continuous shudder that goes away after a gear change for example?

The problem is getting more frequent now (1-2 times per week), whereas I used to notice it once or twice a year when I bought the car in 2010.

I was going to flush all the fluids per the Infiniti maintenance schedule and see if I had a transmission problem. But, I hope this re-flash solves the problem.

Thanks again for all the input on this.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same response as in the other thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the update!
I'm still on my extended warranty. I wish there was a way to make the dealer abide by the TSB Mine refuses to acknowledge this problem!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
I have to tell you: today was definitely a hell of a day here on the east coast.
Perfect conditions for shudder, but I haven't felt it at all (plenty of chances to reproduce it).
I've replaced both of my MAF sensors recently....i'll let you know If I feel it again when it gets even more humid down here.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 AM
It really seems that higher temps AND higher humidity (the combination of both) exacerbate the issue. Yes, finding a road to the dealer that can provide a slight incline and maintain 36-40mph would be ideal.....I need to do that too.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Any update treacherous?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the update!
It's been really hot on the east coast, but rather dry (no more than 40-60% humidity).
So I've experienced no shudder as well. I think the next couple of days will be the real test (~80% humidity).

Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
you guys want a shudder? buy a new altima with the 3.5. Holy shudder!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM
lol, that sux Good to know that nissan doesn't care about such things as"proper tranny operation" :P

I've just sold my '07 to my brother, and he couldn't care less about anything that we'd nitpick about.
He's having a blast (aside from the gas mileage).

I've graduated to a brand new '13 G37x & loving it. They've finally perfected that 7AT.smooth as buttah!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)