Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using Hawk Ceramics. To tell you the truth, I didn't notice any difference in stopping power with them over the stock semi's. The ceramics seem to dust more than stock. The dust is more brownish in color so it shows up more versus the stock dust. I know for sure since I swapped out the rears first and copared the dust front to back. I'll probably go back to stock pads next round.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pennywise1971
I just ordered a set of the Rotora drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, kind of pricey but nice. The 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey (Non-Sport model) rotors are the same front and rear as the 2007-2008 Infiniti G35S.

http://www.thmotorsports.com/rotora/.../i-279105.aspx
googd info.
I kind of figured that but now I have proof.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by bertmauricio
I bought the R1 Premium drilled/slotted a couple months ago and so far so good. Got rid of the stock rotor vibration/judder during high speed braking so I'm happy. They look good and the price is right. I bought direct from R1.
Any pics of the car with them on?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
You're welcome.

Nissan's were known for using weak metal in their rotors, so it's natural to automatically assume the rotors are the problem. You'll even read of numerous other 07/08 S owners who complain of the same issue and we have 13" rotors all around. Here's the kicker, people who complain about it use their cars as daily drivers, some spirited. However, ask anyone who took their car out to the track (me included) and i, for one, can tell you there's nothing wrong with the rotor -- it's the pad that's the problem, it is soft to make daily driving livable, but it does have consequences. Spirited driving + improper cooling = pad transfer/uneven wear. It's easy to see, drive around and use you brakes spiritedly enough to heat them up then pull over and keep on the brakes for a minute or so (as you normally would when stopped in traffic), pull up just a feet or two, park, then turn the car off. Look at your rotors. Chances are you'll see pad imprint.
The soft OEM pads might definitely be the culprit. My OEM brakes had the warped brake feeling so I had the OEM rotors resurfaced and got EBC Yellow Stuff pads (street/track, but geared more for track). After ~10000 miles, and two full, all-out track days, the brakes still don't have any warped feeling. BTW, I do like the Yellow Stuff pads - I can live with its downfalls (they do get a bit squeaky when wet (i.e. rain) and don't have the cold bite like OEM pads), but they are awesome at track temps and never once faded!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
The soft OEM pads might definitely be the culprit. My OEM brakes had the warped brake feeling so I had the OEM rotors resurfaced and got EBC Yellow Stuff pads (street/track, but geared more for track). After ~10000 miles, and two full, all-out track days, the brakes still don't have any warped feeling. BTW, I do like the Yellow Stuff pads - I can live with its downfalls (they do get a bit squeaky when wet (i.e. rain) and don't have the cold bite like OEM pads), but they are awesome at track temps and never once faded!
Hmm... I am going to fight it out at the dealership so that all four corners can have rotors/pads replaced under warranty. But if it's just the pads, maybe I can get them to replace rotors and use Hawk HPS pads instead

Originally Posted by mishmosh
Are you guys putting in the splash guards (front only) that is in the TSB for brake judder?
I'm bringing a copy of the TSB with me to the dealership and will try to get them to install the splash guards.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I just ordered the R1 concepts premium slotted and drilled for the fronts. i am going to see what they are like before getting the backs since I dont need them right now.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The dealership did not put up a fight regarding the brake judder TSB, machined the front rotors (refused to replace them, meaning they were cut the 2nd time ) and installed the splash guards. Front pads weren't replaced either, though there was a lot of pad left. I thought pads need to be replaced when rotors are replaced or machined? I was told that I have 3mm left on rear brakes but refused to go for the upsell. The service manager said that the front rotors were warping prematurely because of moisture buildup the newly installed splash guards are supposed to prevent, but I am not buying it - much more likely, it's the crappy stock pads (and possibly rotors). Question: should I just have my mechanic replace the stock rotors and pads with Centric premium rotors/Hawk HPS pads (already bought both) or just re-machine (for the 2nd time) the rear rotors and replace the worn-out stock pads with Hawks? Or, with TSB fix now applied will address the warping issue, which not necessitate rotor replacement (can return 'em for a refund)?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
what about these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INFIN...Q5fAccessories

anyone know of them?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by JayJay
what about these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INFIN...Q5fAccessories

anyone know of them?
No i do not know about these..but within that price you can get stoptech rotors and Hawk pads.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Anyone tried using HAWK HPS on stock rotors?
My rears have 4mm and fronts have 7mm left.. dealer suggesting rear be replaced and fronts left alone for another 10-15k miles...
debating between using HPS on stock resurfaced rotors or going back to short life OEM pads
OR stoptech rotors with HAWK HPS all way around...

Saw some complaining about HAWK HPS having no bite in cold and wet weather..sounds pretty scarry..
any input??

Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Not that it doesn't have any bite, but until it reaches operating temperature the bite is nowhere near what you may have noticed with OEM's.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Pics of R1

Originally Posted by gassian
Any pics of the car with them on?
Here are the pics. Sorry I didn't snap any with the wheels back on.

Attached Thumbnails Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model-dsc_1518.jpg   Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model-dsc_1521.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Cool Check These Out

To All,

I put these slotted/dimpled rotors along with the perfomance pads on my G35S. I was a little skeptical at first, but they turned out awesome. They look great, stops are much smoother and shorter, and the semi-metallic pads don't make any noise. These have a lifetime warranty against warping and manufacturing defects.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1910&ad=google

Lastly, they claim that they are rustproof. At first I thought this was hype, but after washing my car for the first time, I was surprised that no rust formed on the rotor surfaces (the OEM rotors would rust within minutes once they got wet).

I went with the Premium Slotted/Dimple Rotors in Black and the Premium pads. Also, shipping was prompt and timely.

Regards,

Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by gstais
To All,

I put these slotted/dimpled rotors along with the perfomance pads on my G35S. I was a little skeptical at first, but they turned out awesome. They look great, stops are much smoother and shorter, and the semi-metallic pads don't make any noise. These have a lifetime warranty against warping and manufacturing defects.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1910&ad=google

Lastly, they claim that they are rustproof. At first I thought this was hype, but after washing my car for the first time, I was surprised that no rust formed on the rotor surfaces (the OEM rotors would rust within minutes once they got wet).

I went with the Premium Slotted/Dimple Rotors in Black and the Premium pads. Also, shipping was prompt and timely.

Regards,
You have peaked my interest. How many miles have you put on these? I have never heard of them...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by baksdak
You have peaked my interest. How many miles have you put on these? I have never heard of them...
baksdak,

I had these installed on my G35S about a week ago. As of today I have around 600 miles on them with no issues. The slotted/dimpled rotors and performance pads cost me around $600. I had them installed at the dealer (where I bought the car) at a cost of $293. Even the mechanic that installed them was impressed. He verified that they went on as if they were OEM parts with no modification whatsoever. This may be a little pricey, but I have been very pleased with the service at Infiniti of Pleasanton (CA). Also, I am not particularly fond of the independent shops in my area, nor do I trust them.

Overall I am very pleased with the quality, and the customer service from Brake Performance. I hadn't heard of them either until I happened to to come across their web site while doing an internet search. After a couple of months of research and comtemplation, I gave Brake Performance a call and spoke to one of their reps. A few days later I decided to give them a try.

Now that I have them on my car, I am glad I made the investment. I think these are going to work out really well!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Last edited by gstais; 05-04-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added some additional text.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model