Please help--wheel fitment question. (19", 9" wide, +47mm)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
If I throw on 255s, the rolling diameter will be bigger and my speedo will be screwy-er than with stock total diameter.

I will need all-seasons since I will be driving in winter weather quite a bit.
I had 245's before and now have 255's on 8.5" rims, different tire manufacturers. Per some online calculators the 245's would have been the perfect match, but that tire seems to run small. The 255's have brought my speedo closer back in line (per speed cameras, gps and my G-Tech). However, either way, they should not mess you speedo more than 3%, an industry accepted standard for deviation.

Since you brought up winter. Just something to keep in mind, narrower tires tend to work better in snow.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
To address these two points.

- Aesthetics-wise, it's subjective. Some aftermarket wheels look worse than the OEM, even if they are larger. But generally, the larger wheels will change the look of the vehicle. A thing to note is that in certain cases, larger wheels also tend to make cars look like they're jacked-up (i.e. high off the ground).

- Again, generally speaking, wider wheels have a bit more bias to extend inwards, thus the need for lower offsets to bring it out more. 9" wide wheels, at 47mm offset should be fine, but the inner rim will be a bit closer to the suspension components. It's not as bad as it sounds, however.

- As for speedo correction, not all tires are made the same. Those calculators are general guidelines, and in almost all cases is good enough to follow. But if you're really that concerned about being a few points off, i suggest checking the specs of the tire you currently have against the new one (taking into account the width of wheels they were measured against since that, too, changes the height of the tires somewhat.)
Thanks so much for the detailed response.
1) large wheels making the car look higher is just an illusion, since the diameter is the same, right?
2)If the inner rim is closer to the suspension components--is there any downside? Any possibility of warranty issues?
3) I'm not really sure what you meant by the last point--but it seems that 245/40/19 tires should be OK according to the calc.

Here's a picture of a car with the same wheels:
https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...ls-my-car.html

Not sure if it's dropped but I think it looks cool . This is making me a bit nervous dropping so much cash on wheels lol. I kinda wish there was someone in my area that could let me fit test them .

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome.

1. It's merely an illusion. Nothing to worry about there.

2. Somewhat, if it's ridiculously close to the suspension components then things start rubbing and clunking. However, the size you've chosen, especially without a drop, is rather conservative. Dealerships will be hard-pressed to find a reason to deny you warranty coverage. (Then again, with a lot of dealerships, one is guilty unless proven innocent... sad as it sounds).

3. Tires run large, exact or small. They may be rated, say 245/40/19, but different brands and models will have very slightly different overall diameters. This is why there's that accepted margin of error (usually 3%).

Those 370z's will look great!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I have 245/40/19 on 19x9.5. The tires fit fine with no issues. You'll be ok if you go with the 19x9 on 245/40. Focus on the offsets.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Welcome.

2. Somewhat, if it's ridiculously close to the suspension components then things start rubbing and clunking. However, the size you've chosen, especially without a drop, is rather conservative. Dealerships will be hard-pressed to find a reason to deny you warranty coverage. (Then again, with a lot of dealerships, one is guilty unless proven innocent... sad as it sounds).

Those 370z's will look great!
Hmm...the warranty thing is very worrying. I really know nothing about car mechanics so I am a bit nervous doing something that may screw me over long-term. Is there a way to ensure they don't rub/clunk? I don't know if I will even realize if it's rubbing/clunking unless it's super obvious.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by NBYOND
I have 245/40/19 on 19x9.5. The tires fit fine with no issues. You'll be ok if you go with the 19x9 on 245/40. Focus on the offsets.
What do you mean by focus on the offsets? The offsets on the wheels I'm looking at are +47mm. The stock wheels are +45mm.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Hmm...the warranty thing is very worrying. I really know nothing about car mechanics so I am a bit nervous doing something that may screw me over long-term. Is there a way to ensure they don't rub/clunk? I don't know if I will even realize if it's rubbing/clunking unless it's super obvious.
It'll be obvious.

Seriously though, i doubt what you're planning to do will damage or even affect anything.

I just mentioned the warranty issue because some dealerships will try to get out of anything warranty-related even if something is a legitimate warranty-covered issue.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 PM
What do you mean by focus on the offsets? The offsets on the wheels I'm looking at are +47mm. The stock wheels are +45mm.
All I was trying to say is getting the correct offsets is probably the most crucial part of the selection process. Tire size comes into play once you've selected your wheels and decided whether or not you will remain on stock suspension.

You should be fine with those offsets.

I was the same as you a few months ago...somewhat nervous to go forward because things wouldnt work out. Listen to what everyone is telling you. Most likely someone on here has already done it, or tried it. You will learn a lot quickly...I know I have.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I will see if I can pick up a set of these wheels. It will be hard because I'll need to try to trade some rears for fronts before putting them on. How much do you guys think I could get for my stock 17" wheels with tires if they have some curb rash?