G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   V36 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brakes-suspension-wheels-tires-374/)
-   -   07-09 Brake Judder TSB fix (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brakes-suspension-wheels-tires/349246-07-09-brake-judder-tsb-fix.html)

fauja 10-01-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dockersguy (Post 5386970)
Got my brake judder fixed today. My odometer read 59,041 and the Escondido Infiniti in California didn't even so much as flinch when I told them how many miles were on my car. The process of getting it fixed was painless. They didn't try to screw me out of the repair or blame it on something else. They ran the VIN and made the appropriate corrections. I got a pair of baffles and they resurfaced my rotors even though the previous owner of my G did a crappy uneven resurface job. I'm glad I was able to get this stuff fixed for free before my warranty expired. Big thanks to all the posters of the "Brake Judder" TSB.

Man that's awesome, congrats! I have a question for you... Were your brake pads worn down when you took it in? Mine needed to be replaced so that was the big reason why they kept forcing the maintenance issue -even though they should have still covered the rotors and the splash guard.

I think I'm gonna call the Escondido Infinit Service Manager and ask him what I should do.

dockersguy 10-01-2010 03:25 PM

My front brake pads were at 5mm when I brought the car in. Considering what you said, I read the Infiniti TSB again and it doesn't say anywhere NOT to replace the splash guards, replace or resurface the rotors, and replace the brake pad kit and hardware kit due to maintenance issues or brake pads that are too worn down. Regardless of the condition of your brake pads, you still don't have splash guards on your rotors and you still have rotors that probably warped because of the lack of splash guards. Therefore, at the very least they should install new splash guards and resurface or replace the rotors.

As for the brake pads the TSB states "Inspect the brake pads and install the new brake pad kit and new hardware kit if replacement is necessary." This makes it sounds like they are suppose to replace your pads and hardware kit if you have the older generation pads and or hardware kit. I asked Mike Sadoughi my service adviser why I didn't get new brake pads. His response was because I already had the newer generation brake pads. So, regardless of the condition of your pads if you have the older style brake pads or hardware kit they are suppose to replace them. This is my interpretation of the TSB regarding brake pads.

I learned awhile back from the service manager at Kearny Mesa Infiniti that their two biggest fears were the general manager at the dealership and Infiniti Corporate. Perhaps those two can be of some assistance in your matter if you feel they are screwing you over. Good luck and if you have anymore questions then feel free to ask.

harp00n 10-01-2010 04:59 PM

BTW, splash guard on the front rotors is one of the reasons of overheating them -> rotors warping -> brake judder

lundy 10-01-2010 06:39 PM

I just went slotted and ceramic with no splash guard. The dealer is too far and they said they need the car for two days. Gas = $125 round trip, room = $100 and a day of my time. Hawk Ceramic and slotted rotors were $250 installed. Hopefully the aftermarket parts over power the splash guard. Not that Infiniti would put it on anyways. They said the splash guard doesn't work with aftermarket pads. I guess they won't clear my BBPK (big brake pad kit) lol

dockersguy 10-01-2010 11:53 PM

harp00n BTW, splash guard on the front rotors is one of the reasons of overheating them -> rotors warping -> brake judder
I had no idea that the splash guards made the rotors overheat. Should the splash guards be removed? Or am I missing something?

harp00n 10-02-2010 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by dockersguy (Post 5388840)
I had no idea that the splash guards made the rotors overheat. Should the splash guards be removed? Or am I missing something?

a lot of my friends here (Russia and Ukraine) removed the splash guards and it helped the rotors not to overheat so badly.

try to think logically - this splash guard is just a piece of metal that doesn't allow the fresh air to cool down the rotor (though it helps against the little rocks coming from the road).

Eclipse2G35 10-25-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by dockersguy (Post 5386970)
Got my brake judder fixed today. My odometer read 59,041 and the Escondido Infiniti in California didn't even so much as flinch when I told them how many miles were on my car. The process of getting it fixed was painless. They didn't try to screw me out of the repair or blame it on something else. They ran the VIN and made the appropriate corrections. I got a pair of baffles and they resurfaced my rotors even though the previous owner of my G did a crappy uneven resurface job. I'm glad I was able to get this stuff fixed for free before my warranty expired. Big thanks to all the posters of the "Brake Judder" TSB.

Well, am glad I researched this before I bought my own rotors. My sedan has the sport package at 27000 miles and brake judders hard when breaking. I guess I will drive down to Escondido this week.

djfarhan 10-25-2010 12:09 PM

^ let us know how it goes

TokerIS350 10-25-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueFlash (Post 5327221)
does anyone know if the OEM S akebonos will take care of this problem?

i have no clue:bowrofl:

dockersguy 11-25-2010 09:00 PM

Update, recently at 59,000K I had the brake judder problem corrected under warranty from Infiniti Escondido. I'm at 63K now and the brake judder has returned. I'm pretty upset. Got this luxury car, but the manufacturer can't get the braking system down right. I'm not sure if I can get the brake judder problem fixed again since my warranty has expired. If the brake judder is a result of the stock rotors then I'll be buying some better after market ones. Anyone know if I can still get the rotors replaced for free from the dealer because it's a recurring problem?

nr2134 11-29-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dockersguy (Post 5502794)
Update, recently at 59,000K I had the brake judder problem corrected under warranty from Infiniti Escondido. I'm at 63K now and the brake judder has returned. I'm pretty upset. Got this luxury car, but the manufacturer can't get the braking system down right. I'm not sure if I can get the brake judder problem fixed again since my warranty has expired. If the brake judder is a result of the stock rotors then I'll be buying some better after market ones. Anyone know if I can still get the rotors replaced for free from the dealer because it's a recurring problem?

Im in the same boat. Had the TSB done at 31K and now with 42K its back. The rotors lasted less with the splash shield installed. Im actually looking into upgrading to the Akebono OEM hardware now.

SQconstable 12-31-2010 05:00 AM

Well dang... I purchased my 07 sedan with around 28k miles and it had this problem right off the lot. I didn't think about it much because I was overwhelmed by the really stiff gas pedal and other things that were so different from the M35 and G35 coupe I've come from. Now it's really bad and when I brake, the car shakes in a weird rhythm. It feels like there's 3 warped spots on the rotors as I come to a stop. It must look weird to other drivers like I can't keep a steady braking foot. Our heads bob forward and back because the warping is so bad now. Ya know what the craziest thing is? I don't really even use the brakes unless coming to a full stop after down-shifting to 2nd or 1st gear (it's an automatic but I religiously use the manual downshifting since I'm used to manuals). So... these rotors warp even with minimal braking applied. My service department hates me and I dread calling for an appointment. They always sell me used Infiniti's with warped rotors or bad transmissions (or new AND used Infiniti's that won't let me fill the gas tank all the way!!! They say I'm "the only one with these problems"). I used to get only new cars but didn't think used ones would have demons with 'em. 'Seems like this TSB affects new or used, despite the previous or new owners' driving habits. Like I say, I rarely use the brakes and depend mostly on the engine braking to slow the car down. That's how horribly designed the braking system is.

I am concerned about what you all are saying with the splash shield causing overheating. I would assume the designers intended the splash shield to deflect water from hitting hot rotors, but it doesn't seem like it's preventing the root of the problem here. I brake hard in other vehicles and then hit water puddles, and those rotors never warped like these G35s's do without water in the equation. I'm thinking I may not subject my car to the dealership and instead go for my own brake setup. Afterall, avoiding this particular dealership is said to increase life expectancy by 2 years. They're that stressful.

dohturdima 01-01-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by harp00n (Post 5388960)
a lot of my friends here (Russia and Ukraine) removed the splash guards and it helped the rotors not to overheat so badly.

try to think logically - this splash guard is just a piece of metal that doesn't allow the fresh air to cool down the rotor (though it helps against the little rocks coming from the road).

I would not remove the splashguards, but YMMV. Some people removed them because they act as a heat trap.

One of the splashguard's function is to prevent water/moisture from cooling the rotors too quickly and unevenly, causing uneven pad deposits on rotors and and their subsequent warpage -> brake judder. Why do you think they are being installed by as a part of brake judder TSB? Infiniti must know something.

who4ever 01-03-2011 04:07 PM

Guys I have same issuewhth brake
First time I get brake judder on 40k
I changed my rotor and pad at dealer
But agin I get at 70ki did surface for rotors and change the pad ( at dealer
Again at 80k
I makesome havy complaint for Nissan midle east website (I'm from UAE)
Dealer call me and change my front rotor and pad for free . After I get my car from dealer brake was good but on high way and high speed like 140km + I was feeling body vibration nor steering
Really I don't know what to do
I can't pay for akebono BBK
Im thinking to change the rotor and pads to some after market. Like this link below.
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...94.201.228.208

Anybody. Has experience with this. ??

SQconstable 01-04-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dohturdima (Post 5572504)
I would not remove the splashguards, but YMMV. Some people removed them because they act as a heat trap.

One of the splashguard's function is to prevent water/moisture from cooling the rotors too quickly and unevenly, causing uneven pad deposits on rotors and and their subsequent warpage -> brake judder. Why do you think they are being installed by as a part of brake judder TSB? Infiniti must know something.

Well, my rotors warped significantly without even experiencing rain for a very long time. I work from home and never really drive anywhere. I mostly engine brake with the manual shifts, and I keep big distances from the car in-front of me. I've never warped any rotors on any other car, even when auto-crossing it, especially when it has rained mid-way through events. I think these rotors are just really bad material or something. That, or the brakes need to be made of a different compound? I'm not a pro on brakes, but I've abused cars before and this one is giving me problems when I've babied it. I want to know if those that have simply gone with a different, aftermarket brake kit/rotor combo have ever experienced the same issues regardless of a splashguard...