TPMS Blinking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
TPMS Blinking

So the other day i took my car out of storage, and i have AF wheels on with the oem sensors.

The tires were under inflated at first so i inflated them up to 38psi approx for now.

when i start the car up the indicator blinks at first for maybe about a minute and then it stays on.

question is that i thought that if the pressure is low that the indicator goes on and stays on right away when the car is started.

i have driven above 40mph for about 20miles now and each time i start the car same thing.

any comments about this? thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
That happens to me cause i dont have OEM sensors anymore, drive for a while and it might reset else you might have a bad sensor, the sensors are battery operated but the whole thing needs to be replaced when the battery dies.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
oh so it could be a bad sensor? that would suck.

i think what i will do since now i have them over inflated a little i will do
the ecu reset. and see if that changes anything at all.

any other suggestions?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is your problem! your stock sensors are set to certain perameters such as high reading is 36psi while low is 29psi or around there, when you get under inflated your tmps sensor will illuminate and stay illuminated and so with the warning on the screen in the dash...

your tires are OVER inflated as per the stock sensors so the light will flash and then either go off or stay on.... you can have your sensors reprogramed for a few bucks at nissan or you can just deal with the light!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I have the same problem also! I called Infiniti and it cost $75 bucks for them to reprogram it. If it's a bad sensor even more $$$$. I've had the light on now for over 5000 miles. I just got use to the light and one day I'll get it reprogrammed... Btw how much does Nissan charge?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gorillaclub
Here is your problem! your stock sensors are set to certain perameters such as high reading is 36psi while low is 29psi or around there, when you get under inflated your tmps sensor will illuminate and stay illuminated and so with the warning on the screen in the dash...

your tires are OVER inflated as per the stock sensors so the light will flash and then either go off or stay on.... you can have your sensors reprogramed for a few bucks at nissan or you can just deal with the light!
Thats not at all true, his problem is a bad sensor NOT over inflated tires.
I've driven over 200 miles with 42psi (cold pressure) in my tires with no light. There might be a factory high reading threshold but it has to be in the HIGH 40's not 36psi

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey Not trying to be rude But don't go saying things are false unless you are for sure!! 200 miles with 42 psi means nothing because it's there are many variables involved! The year and tire brand that Came on his car stock and most importantly what the sensors are set to from the factory which could be different from yours! Yesitcould be a malfunctioning sensor but likely if you drop the psi to the stock rating the light will go off if not the sensors could nogbe grounded right or be malfunctioning

Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^no need to be offended, everyone has their own theory, imo it could be either of the two, a bad sensor or wrong psi, however i doubt that the top limit would be as low as 36(my guess would be around 38-42) but wont hurt droppin it around 33 for a week to try if it works out.

I have aftermarket sensor kit and if i inflate over 42psi then the light goes off.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
hm thanks guys, ill drop the psi to regular. i just thought if i inflated it more it would clear the reading faster? lol.

i did do the ecu reset with the psi at 36 and the light came on within a minute, so that didnt help.

ill go down to the dealership and see if they can just reprogram it. if they do and it works then so be it, if not i may need a new sensor.

if it is bad, hopefully they can tell which one it is and its just one.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The tpms sensors are battery powered. Depending on how old your car is, its possible that a battery has worn out. I have my stock sensors in my aftermarket wheels. They worked fine for a while then the light came on. My tire pressure is fine and im not taking each tire off just to find which sensor is out haha

Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you try the manual reset procedure to put it back into learning mode?

http://myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-instal...-for-free.html

The following 2 users liked this post by PursuitofG:
bigjee (01-25-2012), dj714 (10-05-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PursuitofG
did you try the manual reset procedure to put it back into learning mode?

http://myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-instal...-for-free.html

thank you for the link.

I will try it today as my light is on once again.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
there is a battery in the sensor, that is in the wheels (on the value stem inside the tire). When the battery goes dead.. the sensors in the tires have to be replaced.. U can not install a new battery because it is sealed.

By resetting the ECU will have no effect on it.. Once he goes bad it's just bad. Like someone said after you have inflated the tires ride on them for awhile.. if the light doesn't go off.. you will need new senors in ya tires. Most of the folks on here just ignore the light..

The dealership wanted to charge me 175 to check them.. if u buy more from a wheel shop just make sure they will work with your model and then have stealership reprogrammed. It will be cheaper

Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to deal with this same issue a few months ago. I needed new tires at the time as well so I just bit the bullet and replaced all four sensors. The way i thought about it was that if one of the batteries was dead, then they all might be near that point as well.

I bought the sensors off tirerack for like 200 bucks for 4 new sensors. Nissan uses a fairly common sensor make by Schrader. Once my new wheels were on I just swung by my Infiniti dealership during my lunch break. As a courtesy, they programmed the new sensor ids to the car's computer for free and now all is good.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Ive also had this problem today going to school, i usually put my tires to 40psi (being that i have a slow leak in my left rear, it helps from refilling every other day if i went 35psi,) But today my light was blinking on and off and never did it before it would always lose pressure and the light would come on and STAY on, so im guessing it is a bad sensor, and the light did go off after about 5 mins of driving but the only tire that was less than 40psi was my left rear (one with leak like always)