Help! bc racing awd max height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! bc racing awd max height

I posted this on myg37 but very few folks there have installed the bc racing coil overs on an awd g37 so I am hoping someone here has some insight...

I just finished installing my BC racing coilovers on my 2010 AWD sedan.

I am struggling with the height of the coilovers, especially in the rear. I had hoped to drop maybe .75 to 1" and maybe keep the option of going to stock height.

The highest I can get my passenger rear (with the adjustment ring at the absolute bottom of the perch) is 26.88". It was over 27" right after installing and then settled a bit after I took a drive. I'm not sure how much more the springs will settle, but I'm sure they are not going to get any higher. The driver rear is sitting at about 27.38" and that is with me already lowering that side.

26.88" is a drop of about 1.44" where I was hoping to be able to get close to stock height in the winter (or at least just 1" drop or so).

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE THESE COILOVERS ON AN AWD SEDAN, how close can you get to the stock height? I called BC racing and they guy told me that I will never be able to get to stock height as this is a "lowering suspension". I swear I have read on various message boards that people could get back to stock height with these coilovers.

I haven't driven a lowered car before so I'm a little shy of making the 1.44" drop consistent across all corners. I had planned to avoid getting a camber kit and dont want to loose the bottom of my car on a speed bump. I'm also worried about what will happen if the springs settle more and I'm then sitting at a 1.75" drop or worse.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my **** is so low too. I am bottoming out and scraping speed bumps and driveways. I am gonna see if i can raise it up today. I have the car on the lift. I have lost the instructions and I can't remember how to loosen the coils to adjust.

If I am staring at the front coils on the driver side, which way do I turn the locking perches to undo the lock so I can turn the coils? thanks.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Lol why do you need it so high? And if you wanted the stock ride height why did you get coils? They are not neant to be changed season to season. The drop your talking about you wont even have an issue. Just drive with your eyes on the road and angle over bumps..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
You made the wrong choice to lower your car if you wanted it back to stock height. If you look at my pics my rear is at stock BC height. I am a rwd though

Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
All I hear is a bunch of whining.

If you wanted to stay stock height why did you buy coils?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I was never looking for a significant drop. The 1" or so I am looking to dial in in sufficient. I agree the car looked really good lower but I don't want to have to worry about losing the bottom of my oil pan or exhaust over some big speed bump if I have a couple of friends in the back.

What I was looking for, and what I did achieve was a firmer, better handling ride. The AWD car is sprung pretty softly and handling is pretty wallowy. With the coilovers dialed in to around 12 clicks from hard along with the hotchkis sway bars the car handles great. I'm looking for performance not appearance.

Someone on myg37 recommended using the stock rubber cones from the top of the suspension in the bottom bucket. I did that today and am now dropped about where I want to be. When everything settles I might drop a bit further to say 1.2" or so but not the 1.5" the car was settling to before.

So I think my problem has been solved!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you use the little spacer that adds height to the rear? Also make sure the preload is adjusted correctly. Too much or maxed out will restrict you from going up.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 AM
I didn't get those spacers in my kit. I think they only came with the older kits that had 210 or 230mm springs. My kit and the new awd kits have 255mm springs which are still too short in my opinion.

Lundy, was that your kit? What size spring did you get and how dropped are you? Thanks for posting the picture anyways, I would still love to get my hands on those spacers from bc racing so I could reinstall my springs without the upside down upper cone trick.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I bought it 3 months ago but I think it was an old kit. Cuz it did come with the adjustment ***** on the side of the rear shock. Mine rattled and BC sent me the new style. I'm at max w/o the spacer right now. I can barely fit one finger in the rear wheel gap with 285/30R20's. They do sit super low. I had them set in the middle originally when I installed them thinking it would be the stance I was after. I was just about tucking rim lol.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superjer2000
I didn't get those spacers in my kit. I think they only came with the older kits that had 210 or 230mm springs. My kit and the new awd kits have 255mm springs which are still too short in my opinion.

Lundy, was that your kit? What size spring did you get and how dropped are you? Thanks for posting the picture anyways, I would still love to get my hands on those spacers from bc racing so I could reinstall my springs without the upside down upper cone trick.
Super, you're in luck. I actually have an extra pair lying around that BC sent me a while back that I'm not using. Send me a PM and I'll send them over to you if you pay for shipping.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Can anybody, please, help me in this thread about stock g35x height (in the wheel well)?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i just bought my bc coilovers.and i got a x also.I dont wana my car slammed i want it so wear u can get atleast1 finger inbetween the tire and fender,i wana have it dropped but not wer eits gona caus eproblems anyboy got pic

Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know why you're having an issue with the rear height with the 255 springs. I had those installed also and I could raise the rear pretty high...I was set at a two finger gap and there was about another inch I could raise it. I don't you should use the stock rubber cone.....

Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Bc coils dont go back to the stock height.
usually sits 1/2 inch to an inch lower then stock on max height in rear.
My problem was not going low enough, they sent me shorter rear cartridges, still wasnt low enough on 220mm springs so they sent me 200mm springs.
See if they have longer cartridge for you with 255mm springs...

1 inch lower in winter wont kill you. I drove around dropped on eibachpro kit for 3 winters on 17s never got stuck with my X. matter of fact, I never even shoveled my car out. Drove out of waist high snow piles.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
Bc coils dont go back to the stock height.
usually sits 1/2 inch to an inch lower then stock on max height in rear.
My problem was not going low enough, they sent me shorter rear cartridges, still wasnt low enough on 220mm springs so they sent me 200mm springs.
See if they have longer cartridge for you with 255mm springs...

1 inch lower in winter wont kill you. I drove around dropped on eibachpro kit for 3 winters on 17s never got stuck with my X. matter of fact, I never even shoveled my car out. Drove out of waist high snow piles.
1/2" would have been great, but from my stock X height the highest I could go was about 1.5" lower than stock. Is your vehicle a 2007+? When you say cartridge, what are you referring to? Lastly, with 200mm springs, how dropped are you? With 255mm springs, if I had dialed the height to the lowest setting, I'd probably be dropped like 4" which I don't even think is possible!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! bc racing awd max height