Pads and Rotors Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pads and Rotors Help

I have done many searches on this and have seemed to confuse myself. I have an 08 G35x. Currently when I brake it feels like an earthquake, I assume my rotors are warped. I can decide between the Akebono Pro-Act pads or the Centric Posi-Quiet. I dont race or anything like that so high performance isnt really a need.

Also can someone educate me on rotors. I dont know what Brembo and non Brembo is. Is drilled and slotted really necessary?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Either pads are good.

Brembo is the manufacturer of many things brake-related, mostly used in high-performance applications. You don't need Brembo rotors, pads or fluid to get the job done.

Drilled, i would not recommend. Slotted, maybe. I used to track on blank rotors, for daily you don't need anything more than that.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM
great thanks!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've used Stoptech Street performance pads or 309 series on a variety of cars and each car stops with eyeball pulling force just resting your foot on the brake if that's what you're looking for. Little bit of dust, but nothing you're not used to with the oem pads. Along with the pads mentioned above, I'd get what's more affordable. Also with rotors, you may be concerned with rust on the hats which is purely cosmetic, but still. In that case you may want to get Centric Premium (the ones with the e-coat) or spray your rotors with a few coats of high temp spray to prevent unsightly rust. Blanks are perfect and less expensive for all purpose driving. Also use some synthetic brake grease generously on the tabs and the back of the pads so they don't squeal during dry, cold weather. Good luck

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I found a Powerstop rotor and ceramic brake set for $350 but I know you tend to get what you pay for. Thanks, yall have been a big help

Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by ABN35
I have done many searches on this and have seemed to confuse myself. I have an 08 G35x. Currently when I brake it feels like an earthquake, I assume my rotors are warped. I can decide between the Akebono Pro-Act pads or the Centric Posi-Quiet. I dont race or anything like that so high performance isnt really a need.

Also can someone educate me on rotors. I dont know what Brembo and non Brembo is. Is drilled and slotted really necessary?
You say your brakes feel like an earthquake. You may already know but if you don't, there is a TSB out for this very issue - TSB ITB 09-037. I just got this performed this past saturday all under warranty. SMOOTH like butter now. They resurface front and rear rotors and install air baffle in the front to help cool discs more efficiently (prevents warping). Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gee35S
You say your brakes feel like an earthquake. You may already know but if you don't, there is a TSB out for this very issue - TSB ITB 09-037. I just got this performed this past saturday all under warranty. SMOOTH like butter now. They resurface front and rear rotors and install air baffle in the front to help cool discs more efficiently (prevents warping). Hope this helps.
No I had no idea. Does Infiniti pay 100% of the cost?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by ABN35
No I had no idea. Does Infiniti pay 100% of the cost?
YES they should if you are still have factory warranty. BEWARE though since every dealership is different. I went to the one close to my house and they said the TSB does not apply and that I need new pads since mine are at 4mm and front and rear need resurfacing. I said okay maybe I do need new brakes but can you perform the TSB so my new brakes don't wear prematurely? They said, nope, you don't have premature wear now so you wont have it later. BULL$H!T!!!

I declined service and called up next local dealer and they knew EXACTLY which TSB I was talking about and that it DID apply to my car and they did it all at zero cost to me. AND that my pads were at 7mm!!! What a bunch of crooks at the other dealership!

Good luck

Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
yeah my stealership said my pads were at 4mm. I did the brake job myself and the brakes had plenty of meet on them - way more than that. Oh yeah they wanted 345 just for a front brake job, that is just sad. I just politely declined and went on my way.