Problem with tram-lining (road following)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem with tram-lining (road following)

Ever since I got my '07 X new I have noticed it tracks the groves in the road more than any other car I've ever owned or driven. I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars, so that's no insignificant point!

The tram-lining seems to be worse with lower tire pressure but overall the car does it with the old tires & wheels, new tires and wheels and after the sway bar upgrade. So, I'm sure the problem is in the suspension of the car and it is getting worse as the car gets older.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I read through the alignment thread and have had the alignment checked fairly recently, so I don't think that is the cause.

Are there any aftermarket bushings for this car that may solve the problem? Could something be loose?

Thanks!
Sunil

Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I suspect a different tire choice could help. Some tread designs are more prone to tram-lining.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks, but I've had three different tires on the car... same problem more or less.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been considering trading for an M35 and have researched quite a bit on them. Tramlining is a fairly common problem for M35 owners (google M35 tram-lining), and is the tendency for the car to follow surface conditions, ruts, or grooves in the surface of the pavement without steering input from the driver. Both the G35 and M35 are built on very common and similar architectures. I originally thought that the tram-lining might have had something to do with the active steering on the Sport models, and also because I did not observe G35 owners with the same complaints despite the similarities in the cars. However this apparently is not a factor because this behavior is also found on the regular M's as well as the M35X's.

Most M35 owners report that these problems go way when they get rid of the Goodyear tires they came with, in most cases they replace with Michelins or Continentals that solves the problem, or at least minimizes it. Inflation also can make a difference, as can alignment. However as you note, you've been there, done that.

For extremely persistent cases of tram-lining, some M owners have found that the steering rack was defective and when replaced, often under warranty, that the problem goes away. This might be the case for you. Google "M35 M45 tramlining steering rack" to get more detail and descriptions. Good luck.

Last edited by synesis; 01-30-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried changing power steering fluid? It's just a thought, I'm going to change mine in 500 miles and see how it goes. I'm also changing tires soon too. I would like to take in and try to fix it as a warranty item, but my car is lowered.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
I have not tried changing the fluid, but I really can't see how that would help? What am I missing?
I only have 40K miles on the car and it is out of warranty now. However, in all my years of owning cars I have never changed the power steering fluid - even on cars I put around 250,000 miles on.
Thanks
Sunil

Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by lockon
I have not tried changing the fluid, but I really can't see how that would help? What am I missing?
I only have 40K miles on the car and it is out of warranty now. However, in all my years of owning cars I have never changed the power steering fluid - even on cars I put around 250,000 miles on.
Thanks
Sunil
Well, while I definitely think 250k is way too long to go w/o changing PS fluid, I do not see any way the fluid would cause your symptoms. Are you absolutely certain your alignment toe settings are correct? Negative toe, or even neutral, can readily contribute to tram-lining. I am assuming you're aren't 'dropped' and running a lot of negative camber, or running really excessive wheel offsets, as they can contribute as well.

IIRC, there's a fair write up on tram-lining somewhere on the TireRack website . I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:
got it . . . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

Last edited by vqsmile; 01-31-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Afaik, tram lining is a function of tires, and nothing else.

What brands of tires have you tried (OP)?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
^^ Very interesting article, thanks for the link. It all makes sense, except that in my case increasing tire pressure reduces the effect. I'm running at about 34 psi cold now to minimize the effect.

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Afaik, tram lining is a function of tires, and nothing else.
I'd love to believe you but I've owned eight other cars in my life and rented everything from Ford Fiesta's, Oldsmobile & Chevy POS's, to VW Golf's, to BMW, Audi, Mercedes and everything in-between and I have *never* driven a car that crawls all over the road like this one! I can drive my Ody minivan with my pinkie... if I tried that with the G I'd be dead by now. It can't just be the tires.

What brands of tires have you tried (OP)?
The only mods to the care are:
- Hotchkis G35X front and rear sway bars
- aftermarket 18" rims (w/ correct factory 18" offset) + 245/45 VR18 Michelin Pilot/SP AS+ tires

When the tires were new, there was less tram-lining, now they have about 10K on them.

The other tires I had were on the original rims : The OEM tire (Eagles I think) and Yokohama AVS somethings (too soft)

Both of those were the same symptom: didn't notice tram-liming at first, but got worse with wear.

It's only been a few months for the alignment, but I'll take it in for a check again.

Does anyone which of the bushings would contribute to this the most?
Does anyone know of any urethane bushings for the 2007 G35X?

PS, numerous complaints to the dealer were not fruitful either... they checked alignment, etc but dismissed it as "the design of the car".

Thanks
Sunil

Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Just use stock-size tires (with the 225 width).

I hated the tramlining on 245/45/18 Toyo Proxes 4 (tramlined VERY HARD), so I switched back to 225/50/18 (no tramline effect AT ALL) Bridgestone Potenza RE760 and now using Michelin Pilot Sport 2 235/45/18 (just a little bit tramlining).

Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I suspect a different tire choice could help. Some tread designs are more prone to tram-lining.
^ This. And they're even more pronounced on FWD vehicles.

Thanks, but I've had three different tires on the car... same problem more or less.
Which ones specifically? I've own at least a dozen sets of tires (various makes, models and sizes) over the years and have found that directional tires are usually the best for keeping tramlining to a minimum (or completely absent.)

That said, i have also noticed that the road conditions can contribute to the effect. We used to have a section of freeway that my old car would easily follow the ruts on, after they repaved it (somewhat), the tires were much less inclined to pull on me.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd love to believe you but I've owned eight other cars in my life and rented everything from Ford Fiesta's, Oldsmobile & Chevy POS's, to VW Golf's, to BMW, Audi, Mercedes and everything in-between and I have *never* driven a car that crawls all over the road like this one! I can drive my Ody minivan with my pinkie... if I tried that with the G I'd be dead by now. It can't just be the tires.

The only mods to the care are:
- Hotchkis G35X front and rear sway bars
- aftermarket 18" rims (w/ correct factory 18" offset) + 245/45 VR18 Michelin Pilot/SP AS+ tires

When the tires were new, there was less tram-lining, now they have about 10K on them.

The other tires I had were on the original rims : The OEM tire (Eagles I think) and Yokohama AVS somethings (too soft)

Both of those were the same symptom: didn't notice tram-liming at first, but got worse with wear.

It's only been a few months for the alignment, but I'll take it in for a check again.

Does anyone which of the bushings would contribute to this the most?
Does anyone know of any urethane bushings for the 2007 G35X?

PS, numerous complaints to the dealer were not fruitful either... they checked alignment, etc but dismissed it as "the design of the car".

Thanks
Sunil
You have to consider that if there was something wrong with the car, there would be a recall (we'd hope). I haven't read of someone complaining about tram-lining in a while here.

I do recall my original tires have some tram-lining (RE-050's), but my Hankooks don't seem to have that problem. Neither did my FK452's. Perhaps a soundmike said, directional tires are your solution? (*edit, looked up the pilot and they're directional).

If your alignment was bad, you'd have pull in either direction, and not necessarily the tires following the road grooves. BTW, is the tire wear normal?

Also, I don't think I've read of anyone changing bushings (Energy "may" have a replacement set), but if you do, be prepared for more NVH as a result.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 PM

If your alignment was bad, you'd have pull in either direction, and not necessarily the tires following the road grooves. ...
If you have any negative tow, or even just zero on some cars, you can see pronounced tram-lining. It's almost like it doesn't quite know which way to go, so it just follows any line or crack in the road. Great for some enhanced turn-in ability, but really annoying for a DD.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 PM
I stand corrected, but the OP had the alignment checked recently so in his case that shouldnt be the cause.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have very minimal tramlining with my X. It has Bridgestone Serenity's that came on it when I bought it. I do recall on my old RX8 with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in a wider size definitely had more tramlining, but it also had much stiffer aftermarket suspension.

I've always understood it to be a tire tread design issue

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with tram-lining (road following)