Brake rotor question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotor question

So I have a 2007 G35x sedan and I had my mechanic put on new rotors. The rotors just don't look right. They look too big and the pads are not touching the whole rotor surface. I attached a picture of the front and back. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
They never cover all of it, but that looks a bit out of the ordinary, both on the inner and outer pad contact area.

What brand of pads did he use?

...and what brand of rotor is that?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
They never cover all of it, but that looks a bit out of the ordinary, both on the inner and outer pad contact area.

What brand of pads did he use?

...and what brand of rotor is that?
Not sure. He just changed the rotors, the pads were changed a while ago but he said they still have 60% life left. I guess I'll give him a call and ask him what part number he used because they definitely don't look like right. Also he said it may not feel right for a day or two while they bed but it shakes and is noisy under heavy braking, and it just doesn't feel right.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Garnet Ember G35X Sport EBC rotors LEDs GTR button Tail-as-Turn TBW undertray Alarm shock sensor
Should have changed the pads at the same time. You're going to get some grooves in your new rotors before those slots shave down the pads. ie. it will take longer to properly bed the pads.
I've had slotted rotors on two cars now and they vibrate a bit through the brake pedal/sound different when you apply the brakes. Reminds me of airliner landings when the pilot hits the wheel brakes (they use slotted rotors too). The dimple drilled holes look cool but don't do a thing for braking (full depth drilling can weaken the rotor) and actually increase your stopping distance due to less braking surface on the rotor for the pads to grip.
Whatever you put on the car, TORQUE the lugnuts to SPEC and no more. Lugnuts that are too tightly torqued WILL warp your rotors.
If you're going to track/autocross your car you might want to do some research on the best rotor/pad combos.
Some links to info on brake rotors:
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/...tml#gasslotted
http://www.redline360.com/garage/bra...hich-is-better

Old 06-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Red Shogun
Should have changed the pads at the same time. You're going to get some grooves in your new rotors before those slots shave down the pads. ie. it will take longer to properly bed the pads.
I've had slotted rotors on two cars now and they vibrate a bit through the brake pedal/sound different when you apply the brakes. Reminds me of airliner landings when the pilot hits the wheel brakes (they use slotted rotors too). The dimple drilled holes look cool but don't do a thing for braking (full depth drilling can weaken the rotor) and actually increase your stopping distance due to less braking surface on the rotor for the pads to grip.
Whatever you put on the car, TORQUE the lugnuts to SPEC and no more. Lugnuts that are too tightly torqued WILL warp your rotors.
If you're going to track/autocross your car you might want to do some research on the best rotor/pad combos.
Some links to info on brake rotors:
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/...tml#gasslotted
http://www.redline360.com/garage/bra...hich-is-better
The thing is that the new pads don't even cover the full rotor surface. There is about a half an inch space between where the pad covers and where the rotor surface is. The pads will never touch that bottom half and just don't look right.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty07allstar
The thing is that the new pads don't even cover the full rotor surface. There is about a half an inch space between where the pad covers and where the rotor surface is. The pads will never touch that bottom half and just don't look right.
There is nothing wrong with your set up! There is always space between your caliper/pads and the center of your rotors, at least an inch plus! No worries, I'd be more concerned about how those no name pads stop your car and last. This is why many of us upgrade brake pads from what you can buy from the dealership or your neighborhood auto parts store...better stopping and less dust!
Gary

Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Garnet Ember G35X Sport EBC rotors LEDs GTR button Tail-as-Turn TBW undertray Alarm shock sensor
You might go back and check the pads but your rotor sizes are fine. If they were too big they would hit the brake calipers and the calipers wouldn't fit back on the brackets.