DIY: Philips 6000k Ultinon Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Philips 6000k Ultinon Install

OK so I received both of the 6000k philips bulbs in the mail today so I figured I'd install them and take some pics along the way to help out other people interested in doing this mod.

This is what the Philips 6000k Ultinon bulbs look like:

Tools Needed:
2 new 6000k Philips Ultinon D2S bulbs
1 tire iron (plus tire lock bit)
1 flat edge screwdriver
1 garage jack (or stock jack if you want to work harder)

First you'll want to loosen the lugs on the tire of the side you'll be starting on. This is necessary to do before lifting up the car. Jack up the car just high enough to be able to remove the wheel.

After doing this you will see a plastic panel lining the inside of your wheel well. The opening for the projector headlight is behind this panel.

On this panel you will find about 6 (maybe 7 I forget) little plastic tabs. It is necessary to remove these tabs so that you can peel back the wheel well lining to gain access to the headlight opening.

Once you get this removed you will discover a circular weatherproofed "lid". This must be unscrewed to gain entry to the bulb you want to replace.

Once the bulb is located you will need to remove the wiring harness from it. To do this you simply turn it counter-clockwise. It will move a notch, and then you can pull it away from the bulb. To remove the bulb itself you must pull two little butterfly pins out of the grooves in the bulb itself. It's hard to explain but it's pretty self explanatory once you see the pics below.

It is important not to touch the glass on the bulb. The oils on your hands will heat up the glass when in use. This will destroy them. If you touch them by mistake you'll need to clean the glass with rubbing alcohol before using them. I took my OEM bulbs out and placed them in the container the new bulbs came in. I'll store them.

Install the new bulbs by following these directions in reverse. Turn on the headlights and test them out before buttoning everything up. .

This pic shows the difference between the OEM bulbs and the new ones. I think the camera made the bulbs look a tad bit bluer than they actually are in this pic, but I promise you it is not ricey or obnoxious.

Here's the finished install. I think it looks pretty slick.

Last edited by cup0spam; 02-21-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
F'ing nice!!! I am so doing this!!

Where and how much did you buy it for?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
The bulbs can be found on ebay for ~$160 - $200 for the pair. I can vouch for the Philips bulbs, since I've had them now in two G35s. With xenon bulbs you get what you pay for...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 PM
nice upgrade, maybe this should be a sticky?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
should be updated in the FAQ section.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great post, thanks as I was considering this. Do you feel those bulbs are any brighter? have longer throw? or are easier to see with at night? or is is just the color change? My parents have Audi's which are much more blue then mine and I find I can always see better at night with their headlights. wasn't sure if it's the color of if they have more powerful ballasts or a better projector lens.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write-up with photos. THis will come in handy one day.

THANKS!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Excellent write up... Did you notice any reduction in visibility? I heard often times when you update to a higher rated bulb in tends to compromise overall lighting.

Lastly my car is lowered and now it seems I'm out driving my lights. Is it simple to adjust the headlights?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice Diy, Will This Work For The 03 Coupe As Well ?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
Excellent write up... Did you notice any reduction in visibility? I heard often times when you update to a higher rated bulb in tends to compromise overall lighting.

Lastly my car is lowered and now it seems I'm out driving my lights. Is it simple to adjust the headlights?
I need to drive a little more with them to say whether or not there's visibility degradation. I've read that going to 6000k from 4300k should diminish the visibility by roughly 7-10%. On the quick test drive I did I didn't seem notice much of a difference. Reflective street surfaces and signs seem to really light up brighter now.

Regarding the headlight aiming, I would like more info on that too. The G's come stock with the left lamp aimed down a tad (so you don't blind oncoming traffic). I'm going to see about raising it up a little bit. I know there's an alignment screw somewhere.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent DIY. I'll be doing this in a month or two. More shots at night would be awesome

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by BKZJAYY718
Nice Diy, Will This Work For The 03 Coupe As Well ?
You would need D2R bulbs instead.

Nice DIY, but not sure if i want to ditch 4300k for 6000k.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 AM
This is a great write up. Awesome job with the pictures

Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan

+1^ It's a common misconception that higher temperature means higher light output. The higher the number does NOT mean more light - in fact all it means is color temperature (where anything over 5k will distort the whiteness and you will start seeing bluer tints). LUMENS and CANDELA are measurements of light output NOT KELVIN.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice!!! so just replace the bulbs and no worries right?? nice... very nice...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Philips 6000k Ultinon Install