DIY: Lowering an 07 G35S pic and write up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
I have probably done this 5 or 6 times with different cars and never had that kind of launch. You don't want to aim the strut assembly up in the air. You are keeping the spring in the same position with your foot. If you wrap the assembly in a blanket or just place a blanket piled up in front of the assenbly before you release the nut everything works fine.

It was not pointed in the air, it was horizontal. I think the 240 springs were just that long and compressed, that car is a 4X4 stock.

Either way a spring compressor is the correct way to do the job.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
I have probably done this 5 or 6 times with different cars and never had that kind of launch. You don't want to aim the strut assembly up in the air. You are keeping the spring in the same position with your foot. If you wrap the assembly in a blanket or just place a blanket piled up in front of the assenbly before you release the nut everything works fine.
it's kinda like opening a bottle of champagne, heh.

after seeing how easy this looks (much easier than my old sti), i may have to just go ahead and order the impuls..heh

Old 04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks for the write up - well done.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 AM
great pics and instructions - thanks, nice contribution.

jimk

Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Very nice. If only I had the fortitude to actually do it myself, without thinking that my G is going to fall apart as soon as I hit the road!! Are there any lowering springs that y'all recommend as being easier to install than others? Plus, is it worth it (looks wise) to lower the G, if you are going to stay with the stock 18" wheels in my G35S? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't plan on getting new wheels right away. I can't stand wheel gap, drives me nuts. I really like the Eibach kit I just installed. The H&R's were just too low in the front for my taste. (I bought the H&R's and installed them last Friday, then changed them out last night for the Eibach Pro Kit, only took me 1hr and 15min to swap em!)

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Timmay77, can you please post a pic of your G with the Eibach Pro kit? I want to see how your G looks with the stock 18". Thanks!!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Armanius, the Eibach's are a BITCH to use spring compressors on. The top part of the springs are more coiled up then the middle and i have no idea why. I know that the general consensus here is to just not use compressors, but if you want to be safe, use them. They're just annoying to put on them because of the way they are coiled

Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write-up and pics.

Why isn't this stickied yet?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you have to kit the camber kit for this as well?? Im really wanting to lower the car but im afraid the ride is either going to A: suck or B: Im going to need to shell out another 500 or so for a camber kit. Do these springs not lower the car to the point that a camber kit is needed?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Armanius Maximu
Timmay77, can you please post a pic of your G with the Eibach Pro kit? I want to see how your G looks with the stock 18". Thanks!!
killerdiller (member) is so kindly doing an alignment for me tonight. I will post pics when we are done....

Originally Posted by paulg35s
Armanius, the Eibach's are a BITCH to use spring compressors on. The top part of the springs are more coiled up then the middle and i have no idea why. I know that the general consensus here is to just not use compressors, but if you want to be safe, use them. They're just annoying to put on them because of the way they are coiled
If you put the bottom of the spring compressor UNDER the spring perch and the top of the spring compressor as high up in the wide windings, it is rather easy. Then you are compressing the spring down onto the bottom spring perch. I should have taken a picture of it. Maybe I will pull one back out and do it so I can post up a pic....

Originally Posted by EnviedG35
Did you have to kit the camber kit for this as well?? Im really wanting to lower the car but im afraid the ride is either going to A: suck or B: Im going to need to shell out another 500 or so for a camber kit. Do these springs not lower the car to the point that a camber kit is needed?
This will be my 4th vehicle with the Eibach Pro Kit installed. I LOVE the ride. Not to harsh, just a bit more aggressive than OEM. Yes you need the camber kit, I got it from RX Performance Motoring, a forum sponsor for around $170. They where great to work with..... The kit is very easy to install also.

Last edited by timmay77; 04-16-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by paulg35s
I might just have to pay someone to do them. I am such a noob when it comes to modding cars. Anyone in Houston that y'all can recommend?

Before I do it though (or pay someone to do it), I need to determine if the G35S will look nice lowered even if I just keep on using the 18" stock wheels.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Armanius Maximu
I might just have to pay someone to do them. I am such a noob when it comes to modding cars. Anyone in Houston that y'all can recommend?

Before I do it though (or pay someone to do it), I need to determine if the G35S will look nice lowered even if I just keep on using the 18" stock wheels.

I'll have pics posted up before I go to bed tonight.....

To bad you weren't closer, I'd do it for you! It is so easy to do, really.....

Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Timmay77. Very useful. Hopefully, the mods will sticky this thread soon.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Pics of car lowered and aligned as requested. Sorry if the pics aren't the best. It was getting late.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Lowering an 07 G35S pic and write up