DIY: Clutch Fix#1 - pedal travel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 AM
PTP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
The switch is used to start the car. It is not used in shifting.
Then why even press the clutch to the floor?
I feel like the clutch engages well before its reaches the floor.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PTP,

You don't have to push clutch to floor for shifting. I quit doing that a long time ago. You do have to push it pretty much to floor to trip switch so you can start car tho.

Anyway, I finally did this mod and it does make clutch pedal use easier and more predictable because it makes it easier to know where engage/disengage point in pedal travel is relative to full depressed position since you can adjust (reduce) this.

It still doesn't cure short pedal travel distance over which clutch engagement occurs, requiring some additional effort to be smooth.

What happened to the pictures in the DIY explanation? They seem to have been removed.

Last edited by Roadtrip; 07-08-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bumping this thread to say "thanks" and so others will find this "must do" mod.

I did a quick "2 penny test" and it's great. Will probably do something more permanent like the OP when I get time.

Instead of a "tractor" clutch it feels much more like a tight car now. The clutch feel is the same (haven't done DIY #2 yet) but for a bad analogy changing gears went from "finding a needle in a hay stack" to "finding a box of crayons in a hay stack"

Another great mod that probably should have come directly from Infiniti

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
I am too lazy now and probably won't try it for couple weeks to couple months. I think the difference between the two mods are such that both should compliment each other. This mod reduces pedal travel or how far in you have to push the clutch. The last bit of the travel distance is not necessary as there is no clutch engagement.

This mod will reduce the travel distance but does not increase the sensation of the clutch / flywheel. The stock buffer spring is absorbing alot of feeling of the clutch and flywheel to the point you are unable to accurately feel and predicate right when the clutch is engaging. If you combine both mods you will be able to reduce the jerking or bucking from 1st to 2nd transition and also your launches will be much more predictable and second nature. Before you get your panties all wobbled up realize this that both of these mods cost you less than $10 combined and are totally reversible to stock.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...g-removal.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ml#post6095918

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-travel-3.html

Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYT
Bumping this thread to say "thanks" and so others will find this "must do" mod.

I did a quick "2 penny test" and it's great. Will probably do something more permanent like the OP when I get time.

Instead of a "tractor" clutch it feels much more like a tight car now. The clutch feel is the same (haven't done DIY #2 yet) but for a bad analogy changing gears went from "finding a needle in a hay stack" to "finding a box of crayons in a hay stack"

Another great mod that probably should have come directly from Infiniti
1) I did the method with the white plastic first it worked but was kind of mushy
2) I removed the plastic and tried the adjusting rod I HATED IT
3) Tried the OP method with the metal furniture guides

#3 Worked like magic I love the way the clutch travel is now, I've been using that method for a few months. It totally changed the way I can drive the car now. Before the change I was getting funky clutch smell at least once a day while trying not to embarrass myself. I've been driving manual cars over 20 years.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Hey Ian, I finally got around to doing Clutch Fix#1. (I did Fix#2 back when I got the car) .
I took it for a 15 minutes drive. The first few shifts were all it took for it to feel like second nature. Most likely because now the travel is more like all the other cars I have driven over the years. I can easily heel/toe it now that all that extra travel has been eliminated.
I have is set so that it 'feels' like I am letting it up about an 1/8" for it to engage.
Awesome, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Clutch Fix#1 -  pedal travel-rpm-s-clutch.jpg