DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I am from my350z.com forum and a friend of mine sent me this thread. I have an 05 and can't find the spring. I don't think that it should be different from the G35 coupes from my generation and was wondering if anyone has done it an can send me some pictures of the clutch setup.
Thnx in advance

Old 11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ovalnegri
Hey, I am from my350z.com forum and a friend of mine sent me this thread. I have an 05 and can't find the spring. I don't think that it should be different from the G35 coupes from my generation and was wondering if anyone has done it an can send me some pictures of the clutch setup.
Thnx in advance
This is for second gen sedan, I am not sure this would apply to first Gen. sedan or coupe. Like OP mentioned in post #14.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
In one of the post a guy with a first gen did it, I was wondering if others have?

Last edited by ovalnegri; 11-26-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
This pic is from the 1st gen clutch takeup adjustment mod. Isn't that the spring in the pic. In ours it is kind of perpendicular to the clutch rod--in this pic, it looks like it is parallel--if that is the clutch spring that is.

BTW, this 1st gen mod will not work with our 2nd gens. I think with Ian's DIY clutch fix #1 and #2, you will be very pleased though.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Thnx for the photos, I will look into it and tell you how it went

Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutland
Two things.

1) Not sure if I just missed this in this thread, but what is the point of this spring. If you can just take it out and everything is improved, why was it there in the first place?
What this does, is make it a little easier to push the pedal. (very little)
Also, it acts as a buffer to make the full pedal travel effort more linear.
As a buffer, it is possibly intended to reduce drive train shock.

However in application I believe it causes more shock to the system because you can't feel the engagement point.

BMW and other mfgs, use a clutch delay valve (flow restricter) in the hydraulic line to accomplish the same thing.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just removed the spring. The clutch is easier to use now. I can feel when the clutch is starting to grab. The pedal really isn't that much more stiff. I did notice that the clutch pedal doesn't return all the way up now. It rests about a 1/4 " lower. I am going to return the all components except the large spring. There was a much smaller spring, and I wonder if that pushes the pedal all the way up. I'll report my findings later.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Just using the small spring didn't work. It floated around and made noise when the clutch was depressed. So, I replaced the large spring and left out the small spring. I think this is working for me now. I can feel when the clutch is engaging. The pedal also returns all the way up too.

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (12-12-2016)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by johnw999
I just removed the spring. The clutch is easier to use now. I can feel when the clutch is starting to grab. The pedal really isn't that much more stiff. I did notice that the clutch pedal doesn't return all the way up now. It rests about a 1/4 " lower. I am going to return the all components except the large spring. There was a much smaller spring, and I wonder if that pushes the pedal all the way up. I'll report my findings later.
The CDS (Clutch Delay Spring) has nothing to do with the pedal returning to the top.
In fact the CDS resists (is under pressure) the pedal returning to the top.

...IDK what smaller spring you are referring to.
Are you 1st gen or 2nd gen?
pics would help.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
The CDS (Clutch Delay Spring) has nothing to do with the pedal returning to the top.
In fact the CDS resists (is under pressure) the pedal returning to the top.

...IDK what smaller spring you are referring to.
Are you 1st gen or 2nd gen?
pics would help.
In the last pic on the first page you can see a small spring below the hat that holds the large spring. I guess that is the small spring he is talking about. I also have this spring in my 07 2nd gen sedan.

The clutch feel is much better, but I also have the 1/4 inch of play described above. Is this the same as every one else?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM
umm do you think that the clutch burning so fast could b a result of this uneccessary spring??

Old 12-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
It's possible, if you end up slipping it more because you can't feel the engagement point.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After one full day without the spring assembly, I still can't believe how bad it was to drive with it installed. It is a night and day difference. I have had the car for three full years this week, and the last day has been the smoothest I have driven this car.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM
If you have time, try it with just the small spring removed. I think I have more feeling in the clutch this way. I'm curious to see if anyone else likes that setup.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by mbonus
In the last pic on the first page you can see a small spring below the hat that holds the large spring. I guess that is the small spring he is talking about. I also have this spring in my 07 2nd gen sedan.

The clutch feel is much better, but I also have the 1/4 inch of play described above. Is this the same as every one else?
Oh... OK.
That spring is an anti rattle spring.
It keeps the assembly together when it is completely tension free. (clutch to the floor)
It really serves no other function.

Without it, the overall assembly may be slightly shorter, which would also change where the big spring kicks in.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 12-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling :)