DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^+1 but for those who are faint at heart when it comes to working on your cars cleaning them on the car wont be that bad either.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
how the hell does someone measure torque settings on these small Hex screws?

all I've got is a huge *** torque wrench I don't see how I can attach a small Hex tool to the end to measure the TQ, how did u do it Kool Yaar?
?
First, you need a torque wrench that does inch-pounds. But for bigger stuff, I bought a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, so I can put "regular" sockets on my big torque wrench. They're maybe $4 or $5 at Sears, but you'll use it all the time.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I'll see what SACO has today, last time I checked they didn't even have a torque wrench I had to order mine from the UK!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
^ ACE has 90% of the tools and stuff that I use for the car. If you have one around take a look there.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:40 AM
You're Despicable

SACO actually stores ACE products, but they don't have a huge range

Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 AM
You're Despicable

Finally cleaned mine today, damn was it dirty...still haven't driven it but I expect an improvement

Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Make sure you run through the throttle position re-learning procedure (or idle postion re-learn, can't remember the name). You'll probably notice it right away, but don't be surprised if your car acts a little strange for a few days when idling. It takes that long to be totally reset. After that it's fine.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Make sure you run through the throttle position re-learning procedure (or idle postion re-learn, can't remember the name). You'll probably notice it right away, but don't be surprised if your car acts a little strange for a few days when idling. It takes that long to be totally reset. After that it's fine.

3 G's done TB cleaning, none needed to do that, just take the car for a spin around the town and few WOT and it should be fine.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
You wont need to do the relearn procedure as long as you do NOT disconnect the harness on TB.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 AM
You're Despicable

Well had my usual drive to work today and what a difference. Firstly the car seems more eager to keep moving.

Secondly when WOT the car seems to speed up the rpms smoother and more crisp, also I usually shift at 7 - 7.5k but after the cleaning when I shift the rpms seems to hit 8 and slightly more when shifting, as if the car is gaining momentum.

I dunno but it's defiantly better than before, but I never had any rpm fluctuation issues to begin with. I just have to try it with WOT from the lights and see if that's improved.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Well had my usual drive to work today and what a difference. Firstly the car seems more eager to keep moving.

Secondly when WOT the car seems to speed up the rpms smoother and more crisp, also I usually shift at 7 - 7.5k but after the cleaning when I shift the rpms seems to hit 8 and slightly more when shifting, as if the car is gaining momentum.

I dunno but it's defiantly better than before, but I never had any rpm fluctuation issues to begin with. I just have to try it with WOT from the lights and see if that's improved.

Man your killing me, the simpliest thing took you one day to try, you could've just turn on the car after your done and tell us how it felt, you remind of my friend, who buy his mods and keep them at his garage and install them after 6 months if he's in a hurry, and maybe after a year if he's not in a hurry, really i swear, he's a case worse than you , i wonder what'll happen if you guys met, i think you'll get an S/C and installed when they release G57 in 2030 .

Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 AM
You're Despicable

LOooool

I did take it for a drive after I did the TB clean, BUT because I was playing around with the camber settings and my rear SPC brace the car was driving sideways so going WOT with the car was a bit scary , steering wheel was aligned sideways.

ANyway I took it to get aligned yesterday and then coming back home there was too much traffic to go fast anywhere, then my cousin came over until like 1am lol so I never really got a chance to try it out but yeah I know I'm slow lol I'll try and improve that a bit

Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 AM
LOooool

I did take it for a drive after I did the TB clean, BUT because I was playing around with the camber settings and my rear SPC brace the car was driving sideways so going WOT with the car was a bit scary , steering wheel was aligned sideways.

ANyway I took it to get aligned yesterday and then coming back home there was too much traffic to go fast anywhere, then my cousin came over until like 1am lol so I never really got a chance to try it out but yeah I know I'm slow lol I'll try and improve that a bit

Don't worry my friend, i know a lot of people who wants to make sure everything is %100 perfect, people like you, and they usually take their time before doing anything, unlike me, if i had the tools, i might install my stuff in front of the office and in the middle of the street, i'm a guy who can't wait to do anything, i'm like "kun fa yakun" .

Glad you like it, i hope everyone on this forum do TB cleaning.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At what point is TB cleaning really needed?

I have an '07 G35S (got it on 12/6/06) with 16k miles. Is it worth doing at this point? The dealer keeps pressuring me to do it, but this DIY looks great.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
You're Despicable

lol Q8 you remind me exactly of my cousin, you're right I'm need to make sure that 100% is perfect and everything's ready before I even touch the car whereas my cousin will pretty much fit anything anywhere if he had the tools looool,

It actually gets annoying sometimes because he's pushing me to go install this and then go install that and I'm like "NO DUDE I'M NOT READY"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies