GroundingGear for the 2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't looked at the kit for the 07 models, but I must say that I'm skeptical. Not skeptical in the theory, just the application for the 07 model itself. In comparison to my 05, and Cheryl's now-sold 04, the stock grounding wires for the 07 are a much thicker gauge. I haven't meticulously inspected the wires themselves or the grounding points on the 07, so I don't know how many are offered stock versus this kit. Take it for what you will.

And to those asking why something like this isn't implemented by the factory: simple, cost. Total cost may be mere dollars per car, but multiply that by the number of vehicles produced on the platform(G35, 350Z, M, FX), and those mere dollars multiply by orders of magnitude.

Another poster already stated that each decision is a compromise. Truer words have never been spoken.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infi07g35x
I went to your website, and all i see is this:

look inside winter 2007 (issue #2)

how can i read what you wrote about grounding kit? can you just kindly post it in this thread? thanks.
Sorry, you will have to either purchase the magazine or ask the editors for the article. The it does not belong to me and therefore I will not be printing it here. I am not the one to make the call on where the article is posted or not posted. Were it not copyrighted material it may be another story....

Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I haven't looked at the kit for the 07 models, but I must say that I'm skeptical. Not skeptical in the theory, just the application for the 07 model itself. In comparison to my 05, and Cheryl's now-sold 04, the stock grounding wires for the 07 are a much thicker gauge. I haven't meticulously inspected the wires themselves or the grounding points on the 07, so I don't know how many are offered stock versus this kit. Take it for what you will.
I'm not sure if the thickness of the wires has as much to do with how these things work as some think it does, unless it's purely resistance that is the limiting factor.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
My collegue Robert just got his kit from Gord a week or 2 ago. He was a good test, because he doesn't normally mod cars, and feels that one should buy based on how the car feels on a few test drives, and the choice should be made on what compromises or expectation you can live with. Needless to say, he's a real skeptic about these things, and his expectations of any mod may be different than mine.

His preliminary feedback has been, interestingly, very positive (for him), though somewhat truncated. I'm trying to get him to log on to the forum, so so he can give his impressions. I had to laugh at his reaction and expressions when he first started the car, and went for a test drive. Most of us describe him as being generally "stoic". Anyway, I'll see if I can get him to write up a few lines.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I'd love to hear his impressions - I'd also like to see some dynos, but anything is better than nothing at all!

Thanks ckg35.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by ckg35
My collegue Robert just got his kit from Gord a week or 2 ago...His preliminary feedback has been, interestingly, very positive (for him), though somewhat truncated. I'm trying to get him to log on to the forum, so so he can give his impressions.
I'm interested in his impressions as well. If he doesn't post, please at least convey what he's telling you to us. Thanks.

I got the PM from Gord about prices and order, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by G35MD
I'm interested in his impressions as well. If he doesn't post, please at least convey what he's telling you to us. Thanks.

I got the PM from Gord about prices and order, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
same here, i got all the info but just waiting for a guinea pig! i had alot of positive results with the last kit but dont know if it will be the same for the new model engine. i try to keep an open mind because theres alot of haters out there!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
I'd love to hear his impressions - I'd also like to see some dynos, but anything is better than nothing at all!

Thanks ckg35.
He's a bit of a hard sell and tends not to do forums like this one, so I'll have to "encourage him" next week when he comes in. I had a few drives in his car as well, so after he tells you what he thinks, I'll do the same.

Re the dynos, from what I've ever seen of these things, about 4 hp is all you could reasonably expect, but the seat-of-the pants feels much more. I've seen one of the magazine tests claim that they saw almost a 15 hp improvement, but they also saw huge gains with just things like intakes, so I'm not sure about their methodology. I know the WRX guys have been seeing actual significant gains on dynos, and the one WRX that I've driven that had this done would seem to bear support this. I was really quite shocked at the difference in feel, since it was a manual tranny, so the effects on the AT were not even added!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
How do I get information on these grounding kits i mean i sent him a pm and there is no response do i have to be a member or something or has he not been online because i am really interested and im not afraid to be another guinea pig lol

Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a 2003 G35 5AT and I had the GG 10 wire kit installed for about 3 weeks. I noticed no difference in anything (power, shift response, anything). A lot of other 1st gen 5AT owners reported quicker shifts, more power, a better idle, but I have to say my 03 doesn't really suffer from any of these issues other than a not wanting to shift the 3-4 when I want it to at full throttle unless I'm above 5500rpms. I sold the 10 wire kit for about as much as I paid for it so it was no big deal. Gordon is a good guy and he's good to deal with, but his product didn't do anything for my car. I do admit I am extremely picky about mods for this car and my prior cars. If I don't notice a difference, then it's coming off and getting sold.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I finally convinced Robert to write up his post. He's in his office (hopefully) doing this as we speak.

As I said, he's a hard nut to crack, and it'll be interesing to see what he says. I'll be shocked if he has much positive to say, as he's either stoic or negative about most things.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by infi07g35x
... When they engineer a car like G35; they look at every option to increase power. If the grounding kit would provide more power, I am sure that they would apply this technology. I don't think wires are that expensive. If a better ground kit (bigger wires / More wires/ Locations of wire) increases horse power by 5HP or more... I am sure Nissan would add that to their cars. I think this is cheapest way to add extra power. I could be wrong..
This may be true, however Nismo does sell a grounding kit for the G35 (made for them by Sun) http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/c=gTjXJc...ct/24080-ZGNDK so maybe they rather make some money this way instead of make additional ground wires a standard production item and increase unit cost. Remember, it would not just be the materials cost for the wires, but the additional labor on the assembly line to install an added 5 to 10 ground wires.

Anyway, I might be a bit biased, since I ordered a 10 wire kit from Gordy last week, so I really hope I see enough real performance improvement to make me feel good about dropping $150 on this mod.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, Robert's review is finally up:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152477

I'm actually surprised at the length, since I know how he is about these things.

I guess I'll buy the wine.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Think the link above is invalid... It says, "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Old 04-24-2007, 07:54 PM
WELL, i ordered my grounding kit today. ill post the results if any, after i install them. they worked in my old G so why not try it on the new one. my car started shaking at startup this morning so it might be a sign!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GroundingGear for the 2007