Intake Silencer Removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
like i said, i believe you loose your "ram air over 60mph" effect. the built up pressure entering from the front has a way to escape the system instead of being forced to the motor.

If it makes you feel better, there really is no "ram air" effect. Just a "cold air" effect. The pressure doesn't really do anything, as long as the cold air still gets into the intake, no harm done.

Even on cars with big hoodscoops (2002 Trans Am WS6), the "ram" effect doesn't really do anything, it's just a cold air thing.

Here's a decent explanation: http://everything2.com/e2node/Ram%2520Air

Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverG2007
If it makes you feel better, there really is no "ram air" effect. Just a "cold air" effect. The pressure doesn't really do anything, as long as the cold air still gets into the intake, no harm done.

Even on cars with big hoodscoops (2002 Trans Am WS6), the "ram" effect doesn't really do anything, it's just a cold air thing.

Here's a decent explanation: http://everything2.com/e2node/Ram%2520Air
well from that article it makes it seem like there is a ram air effect and the cold air is just an added benefit of ram air.

"This force is sufficient to slightly compress the air, at which point it is fed into the cylinders. " sounds like the "ram" effect does something to me

Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know its not a HUGE pressurization of the intake tracts, but i do know that by sealing it off between the point of entry and the point of exit where the resonators were, it will help increase the flow by decreasing any turbulence.

the stock boxes do a good job of harvesting cold air from in front of the radiator. I would love to see a heat resisting carbonfiber intake box/piping setup for our cars that follows our stock intakes paths!