G35: 5AT 2-3 hard shift DEALER UPDATE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35: 5AT 2-3 hard shift DEALER UPDATE

Brought the car in today for an oil change and talked to the service rep about the 2-3 hard shift using the paddles. He seemed to know what I was talking about right away. He just called and said the tranny is what it is, no problem, so no fix.

I'm sure I'm not the first one here to be told this one. This can't be good for the tranny. Feels like a neutral drop kind of bang, but less severe of course.

Oh well, I'll just bang 3rd gear for the next 54K miles, then selling before the tranny goes out after the warranty expires.

Last edited by csdstudio; 10-16-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
happens to me as well (non-sport), got the same answer. four times. i called other service departments in the west, all said the same thing.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It shouldn't feel like a neutral drop, but it should be quick.

Technically though, the faster the shift (less slip) the better it is on the tranny.

What throttle position and rpms does this happen? Full throttle at redline, or part throttle and lower rpms?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 PM
1-2, 3-4, and 4-5 all are very quick, and snappy, no jolting. But the 2-3 shift hits hard. Happens if I vary the throttle around, lower R's, high R's, no real consistency.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, I just joined the site today. Been looking for awhile for a good G35 forum with lots of info for the 07 g's. I have an 07 g35x, It is amazing I found this thread, I know exactly what you are talking about. And is the only little minor fault I can find with the car.

For starters after owning this car for awhile it is easy to forget actually how nice of a machine it is. I have an auto, and numerous times I have done flat out accelerations well the time is right. The first time I slammed the gas to the floor and waited right to the 7500 redline to shift into second without letting gas off the floor, The hits that gear like clock work everytime and has never once dropped hard. And it is funny cause the shift between 1-2 should be where the heavy drop should take place not between the 2-3.

It is good to see that this is common, that would suggest it is not something to worry about. I had an M35x as a loaner for three days, and the tranny hit hard exactly the same. It was also true for the 08 G35x loaner I had on a different occasion, the gear still drops hard between 2-3 on the 08 but not as severe as my 07. and ECU program update from the 08 may help.

However, the good news is if you know how to handle the tranny the heavy drop is avoidable. The drop happens and is more severe as the rpm's are higher. The ideal place to shift into third is at 3500 rpm, up to, be under 4000rpm.

I think the gear spacing between 2-3 is too small, 3 should be taller, thus allowing 2nd to rev up higher, making it smoother going into third.

the 3500-4000 rpm range seems to have the perfect amount tourqe to shift seemlessly. any higher in the rev range and the tranny drops hard, any lower the car gives a quick jerk, due to a lack of tourqe to carry into the next gear.

So when I do I flat out run in manual mode this is how you should shift, for smooth transitions between the gears.

gas flat to the floor, don't let off, around 7300 tap into second holding the gas down. when the car hits 3700rpm LET OFF THE GAS, but don't take your foot off the peddle, you should let off to the point where you would hold the peddle when you are cruising the highway, so you have to let off quite i bit, once the foot is lighten off, tap it into 3rd, as soon as it hits gas back to the floor. 4 and 5 will be smooth. but most of the shift are between 2-3. play around with it, you get the feel for it. If it is still dropping, keeping lightening up. All that has to be done pretty quick, so it will take a few trys. But that what makes the car special, only the owners know how to handel them.

Triptronics, aren't meant to shift ever gear at top rpm, do that in a Chysler tiptronic every gear drops hard, Our cars do an amazing job at shifting on the top end. Hope this helps, I know it is long, but hard to explain.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
so is this something that concerns us in the long run in regards to dependability in later miles? mine hits hard to on 2nd to 3rd sometimes

Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Well, It would be better for the driver to have the feel for the car, and know how to shift it smoothly, If you are banging the gear 2-3 you really haven't gotten a feel for the car. Cause it is avoidable and if you know how to shift it, it won't bang. As far as longevity, how long to you really plan on having this car. I am from canada, and expect 250Km thou out of this machine easy without worring abvout the tranny or engine(170 miles for you yanks). that is with good maintance and non careless driving skills. You can push this car a lot and it will remain reliable.

So if you want to be careless and slam that 2-3 gear change, go for it. cause the car will handle it far longer after you get rid of it for your next vechile. For the most par no one is keeping this car as a collectors, which it boarder line is, but there is nothing you will do to the tranny, within 160 thou miles that will kill it. But, you are expected to do 4-5 tranny services within then.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
so is there any easier way that you guys do to avoid this hard shift?
this is my first time owning a autostick

so when you guys shift are you supposed to let off the gas like on a manual?

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 11-04-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 559MostWanted
so is there any easier way that you guys do to avoid this hard shift?
this is my first time owning a autostick

so when you guys shift are you supposed to let off the gas like on a manual?
Nope. You just keep it pushed and shift through the gears.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
^^ok im suprised noone has said anything yet, but i have a 06' coupe 5AT and i know that hard shift from 2-3rd, fells like your ars gonna break.....

and what worked for me to fix this problem and though some say its use less, get a grounding kit, took that hard shift away, doesnt shift hard at all, except every once in a blue moon, when the rpms are at some special number. but im telling you it works

if your in socal, hit up sxexcx he makes an awesome grounding kit, superior to stillen, and other brands, there are a few brand name ones that i hears are good as well just not sure which ones

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I let off the gas a little through the 2-3 shift, it helps a lot, however if you let of the gas entirely the car will shift smooth, but will feel like you timing is way slow and will jerk the car for the occupants.

The best way to describe it is, try shifting at any rpm, even like 5 or 6k, I wouldn't be redlining for the 2-3 change, when you make the shift hold the gas the way you would to maintain the revs. In other words if Once the car gets 5000 rpm hold it there, (the important thing is that the revs are building up fast during the shift, and don't take your foot off the gas too much that the revs drop.

I good meathod is to take you time when trying to figure this out, so don't try to time it prefect right away, Get up to 6000rpm and then hold it there for three seconds, and shift, just hold it there until the shift is completed, it will shift like better, and cause of where your holding the gas the is lots of power to carry through the gear. It feels as precise that it can be, and when it is done right, the car sounds like a race car.

I should post a small video explaining how I do it and show the rpm gague.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think what may be happening is that the tranny is obeying you, and you're telling it to do something "wrong."

This tranny does a great job of shifting when you tell it to (more so than any other "auto stick" type car I've driven), but if I tell it to shift under a decent load before it should, it does some wierd stuff, like shifting hard.

For example, floor the car and shift at 5500, it's "not right" and feels kinda wierd, but the tranny does as it's told.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Thread back from the dead...

Sad to hear so many people have this 2nd to 3rd issue but, I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not alone. 3 months into ownership of my '04x and I've been worried about the hard shift I experience from time to time...

Mine is definitley worse when cold, but, I can get it to hard shift even once fully warmed up (30 minutes of drive time) if I really push her. Mine is worse when using the tiptronic shifting but, I can get it to hard shift in auto when flooring the car...

Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
^^ok im suprised noone has said anything yet, but i have a 06' coupe 5AT and i know that hard shift from 2-3rd, fells like your ars gonna break.....

and what worked for me to fix this problem and though some say its use less, get a grounding kit, took that hard shift away, doesnt shift hard at all, except every once in a blue moon, when the rpms are at some special number. but im telling you it works

if your in socal, hit up sxexcx he makes an awesome grounding kit, superior to stillen, and other brands, there are a few brand name ones that i hears are good as well just not sure which ones
I don't have this shift problem, but I would say that adding a grounding kit certainly improved my shift performance and makes M mode fun now.

Black Betty Grounding Kit. Quality product.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I have the BB kit waiting on my dining table to be installed ... waitin' for a day off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35: 5AT 2-3 hard shift DEALER UPDATE