My review of the K&N drop in filters.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My review of the K&N drop in filters.

My buddies bought me a set of K&N filters for my b-day and I got to put them in over the weekend. I've wanted these filters for the longest time but they cost just a tad bit more than I expected so I was waiting for the prices to drop a bit. What a nice surprise.

Anyways, the install was a bit painful. The OEM filter actually stayed in the holder which made it slide in and out easier. The K&N filters were very loose in the holder so I had to hold the filters while I was putting the whole thing back in. After that, the clips wouldn't clip on. I had to push the holder towards the back of the car with quite a bit of strength to put on the clips. I hope the clips don't break off or anything.

After the install, my buddy and I went out for a quick drive. I couldn't do any fast acceleration due to all the rain and crappy OEM tires but did floor it in 5th gear for a good 3 seconds. I can't say it's noticeably louder, but it is definitely different. I also hear the "whistle" during the down-rev when I rev the engine.

As for the performance, I'm not really sure. I'm not a very good driver in the first place so I can't detect any difference in performance if it's like minimal gains. I think the throttle is a little bit more responsive but I think it's all in my head.

I'll post pics later when I can get them from my friend.

Also, if someone else has the K&N filters, post up your thoughts about the filters. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Thanks for the write-up. It's very helpful for me to decide weather I should go with the K&N drop-ins or a set of intake...

Although I wanted a pair of those filters as well, I couldn't justify to spend almost $100 (after tax and shipping) on just filters... thus I was waiting for the JTW pop charger to show up here...

This review has made it easier for me to choose between the drop-ins or the regular intakes... or at least will be.

Thanks again for the review.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey hyukki, whe you say the sound is definitely different, can you elaborate? does it sound deeper, better, or worse, etc.?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Did you say pop charger?

I saw these while back, and have been saving up for it, lets see how much longer before i can get these, if anyone gets them or already has them, plz regard on the performance gians thanks....
Enjoy

Last edited by kool_yaar; 01-07-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
I saw these while back, and have been saving up for it, lets see how much longer before i can get these, if anyone gets them or already has them, plz regard on the performance gians thanks....
Enjoy
Yup, that's the one i'm eyeing on right now. Unfortunately, it is not yet available for our cars. Hopefully I'll see this in the very near future.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. Sound wise the best I can describe it is a touch louder with about the same tone when you rev the engine. At idle it sounds the same. It sounds just fine to me. I really didn't want a louder or modded sound. If you walked up to the car and revved the engine you would not know the car had K&N filters. You can only really tell when you switch from one to the other. My mileage has seemed to get a little better but thats probably due to lighter traffic from the holidays. Performance wise the care feels the same. I'm happy with them for the $80 I spent, for over $100 I don't think I would have bought them.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by gymcshoe
hey hyukki, whe you say the sound is definitely different, can you elaborate? does it sound deeper, better, or worse, etc.?
It's not any deeper or worse, it just sounds a little bit louder. Most people probably won't notice the difference.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I went on a 200~ mile trip today and I think the filters give a real nice touch to the tone while WOT. (If you can notice the difference in loudness. Most people won't even know you have K&N filters unless you tell them.) Like the other poster said, I don't think the car is any faster, I just feel better because I know the car is breathing a little bit better.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think the K&N filters will do a single thing. From what I've read, people have dynoed with the OEM filter and w/o any filter at all and seen no differences.

I'd be curious to try one of those vacuum/fan tests where you put the filter between the air and a ping pong ball and observe the results.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
They are saem for our cars as well

Originally Posted by Fast07GSdn
Yup, that's the one i'm eyeing on right now. Unfortunately, it is not yet available for our cars. Hopefully I'll see this in the very near future.
it is for our cars, look on the caption on this pic and the heading, and you can email them, they said it will fit fine on all g35 and g37 , we just have to spend a bit more time fittting it that the instructions explain nicely....

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Honda Accord
I just e-mailed them... hopfully they'll reply asap.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I just received mine today, unfortunately I don't have generous friends.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Anyone want to buy some KN filters that have two minutes of run time on them (just drove around the block to observe the sound difference) for 80 bucks shipped to your door?

EDIT: I am serious

Last edited by The Punisher; 01-08-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Out of many - one people
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hyukki
Anyways, the install was a bit painful.

After that, the clips wouldn't clip on.

I can't say it's noticeably louder, but it is definitely different.

I think the throttle is a little bit more responsive but I think it's all in my head.
I have to agree with you 100% on the above points.

I have had K&N filters in almost all of my cars and there were very noticeable differences. Somehow, it is very hard to tell any difference with this install on the G35.

Overall, I dont think these filters are worth it IMHO.

Last edited by rupdog326; 01-09-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
What a sexy STB:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My review of the K&N drop in filters.