Cobbtuning AccessPort on the way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobbtuning AccessPort on the way

Here's some interesting info:

The guys at Cobbtuning.com have gotten their hands on a Japanese spec Nissan GT-R and have fully unleashed the beast within the new Godzilla by cracking the ECU on their white GT-R. Reports when the car first came out noted the ECU as totally uncrackable and we believe that Cobbtuning is the first tuning firm to crack the ECU.

From their blog:

Thankfully, it can now be removed. We’ll continue to do more in-house testing and hopefully get some beta AccessPORTs out to the other two JDM GT-Rs in the US inflicted with the same speed limiter woes. By the time North American spec cars arrive, we should be well prepared and practiced in the art of tuning the GT-R’s ECU.

When you land your Godzilla, what will be the first thing you do to it? Of course you will.
Some claims had been made to suggest the new Nissan GT-R ECU was encrypted and ‘uncrackable’. Well folks, we’ve ‘cracked’ it. Our own GT-R is a JDM version with the fun-sapping 180 kph (112mph) speed limiter. Thankfully, it can now be removed. We’ll continue to do more in-house testing and hopefully get some beta AccessPORTs out to the other two JDM GT-Rs in the US inflicted with the same speed limiter woes. By the time North American spec cars arrive, we should be well prepared and practiced in the art of tuning the GT-R’s ECU.

Stay tuned for more tuning updates as we begin to see what can be extracted from the new GT-R with some ECU tuning!

P.S. For the 2007+ 350Z and newer G35/G37 owners reading this, don’t worry…we’re already testing the AccessPORT for your vehicles as well. We have both a 2007 350Z and a 2008 G37 both undergoing ECU development as we speak.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ooh snapp really looking forward to thiss.. HURRY PLEASE!!!

by summer maybe??

Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Lol... you guys will have to wait for a bit...

They were trying to download the ECU data off my car at the Performance Nissan meet, but they didn't have the right equipment to do so... so they gave me a t-shirt instead. What a bummer. hahaha

Anyways, by the way they were saying, it seems like the AccessPort won't be available for sometme. However, I do believe that they JUST released the AccessPort for the older DE engines. They had a demonstration unit on display and the thing was pretty small, screen was pretty clean and it overall it had a good impression. One of the rep from their booth was explaining what it can do and basically the unit will come with several maps including the performance oriented map, valet map, and etc. Valet map was pretty interesting because once you put your car in the valet map, the car won't run above 2000RPM. As for now, they do not have a compatible shop that will be able to tune the car and save the new map onto the AccessPort, but they have promised they are looking for the pro-tuner shops that will do so.

My overall experience with the demo unit was quite good, but still not the greatest. Though when all the improvement they promised are said and done, I believe this one is going to be a killer seller.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
Lol... you guys will have to wait for a bit...

They were trying to download the ECU data off my car at the Performance Nissan meet, but they didn't have the right equipment to do so... so they gave me a t-shirt instead. What a bummer. hahaha

Anyways, by the way they were saying, it seems like the AccessPort won't be available for sometme. However, I do believe that they JUST released the AccessPort for the older DE engines. They had a demonstration unit on display and the thing was pretty small, screen was pretty clean and it overall it had a good impression. One of the rep from their booth was explaining what it can do and basically the unit will come with several maps including the performance oriented map, valet map, and etc. Valet map was pretty interesting because once you put your car in the valet map, the car won't run above 2000RPM. As for now, they do not have a compatible shop that will be able to tune the car and save the new map onto the AccessPort, but they have promised they are looking for the pro-tuner shops that will do so.

My overall experience with the demo unit was quite good, but still not the greatest. Though when all the improvement they promised are said and done, I believe this one is going to be a killer seller.
I like the idea of the valet map, if this comes out for the G35 I will defn look into it.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sigh...have been waiting for this to come out for six months...hope it arrives by summer!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 for Cobb.

Great company, great work.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
really interesting...it actually not take that long to release the AP for the HR motor since they are now familiar with the DE motor, id guess the AP will come out around thanksgiving but thats just a wild guess

Old 04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
this sounds amazing...would def hop on it as soon as it comes out

Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I hope this product comes out at least by summer. Will buy when it comes out.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Just curious what kind of gains are to be expected from a normally aspirated engine. I would assume that Nissan has already tuned the car well and that an aggressive tune would only gain 10-15HP. To me, that wouldn't be worth it.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Just curious what kind of gains are to be expected from a normally aspirated engine. I would assume that Nissan has already tuned the car well and that an aggressive tune would only gain 10-15HP. To me, that wouldn't be worth it.
Check the Cobb forums, especially this one - they got 11 WHP from an NA VQ-DE in a Z. HR may be more highly tuned so less gains, dunno

If we get around 10, that'll be cool.

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/...t=39262&page=2

Old 04-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Those are nice gains. 10whp would definitely make my day. The elimination of the governor would be a plus in my car, and watching the revs entering the redline a couple more hundreds is worth every penny. The valet mode is also cool.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not holding my breath but am eagerly awaiting a tuning option.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The car was probably set up for the lowest octane fuel available where the car is sold. If true, the guys that can get higher octane gas should get the most increase on a tune (all things being equal).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between this and a piggy back engine management system?

Originally Posted by mishmosh

Last edited by terrycs; 04-13-2008 at 08:38 PM.