Self installed STILLAN LONG TUBE COLD AIR INTAKES.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self installed STILLAN LONG TUBE COLD AIR INTAKES.

I have been waiting a year to install my cold air intakes on my 07 G35x. I am glad I waited cause the first system that came out earlier was replaced by a revised short tube and new long tube system. Anyways I got the polished long tube system shipped to me from california orange county to toronto. I was busy taking care of business all day I didn't get home till 11;30 at night, but at midnight my buddy and I just had to install them. I took my time I took apart a lot more then I had to so I didn't but stress on a single part. And it took 2 hours. ANd this was the first time I ever tackel something like this, I was amazed how easy it was, how easy the car is to work on, and see incredibly engineered this car is, the big three are years behind.

Anyways, I have read a lot of posts prior and a lot of guys that never had experience what this mod is like made a lot of clams. Most people claim the intakes don't give the car more power. But everyone was consistant about claiming there is amazing sound, and I didn't get what they were talking about.

HOLY SHE ATE

Finally I can make my own claimes from actually installing it myself, and have first hand experience with testing it out. I have done a dyno. And I am not going to. But There is a clear increase in profromance, I feel like I dropped 300-400 lbs of wieght off of the car. To make it clear, The car rans just as fast to 60 with four people init as it did stock with just me in it, now when the hits 3000rpm it sound sweet, and on the top end. It is easily triple what stock was, It sounds like an V8 when underload. The car definately is pulling easier on flat out drags.

Even with out the profromance gains, the sound alone is worth the money ten fold. Also, this system is so much better then stock quality wise, there is easily double the amount of filter material on the cones, then the flat fliters. And they are high flow filters.

AND YES MY CAR IS FASTER> not majorly fast, but definately a improvement. THANK YOU STILLEN>

next is sport cats and exhaust for stillen as well.

The kit fits great, really tight, no rattles... nothing.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 AM
That is great to hear. Thanks for posting your experience on both the sound and quality of the intake but also the installation of it. I'm going to be attempting this real soon so I'm kind of nervous but I'm glad people keep giving good reviews on all aspects.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Just do it with a friend. Me and my buddy really bounce off each other and really do an easy smooth installation together. WHen you are alone you always second guess yourself. Use scokets to romove the fasners, not the phillips or flat heads they tend to strip cause they are really tight, which is good. But that is one example of how infiniti makes a great product there fasners are made to use both a socket or a screw driver, so if you strip one you still have another method available.

Don't worry I didn't strip anything. Just take your time and don't rush it.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Yea I definitely will take my time. What size socket?

Also can you really hear the sound that well at 3000rpms? That was my favorite part about my 05 FX35 - the sound at low rpms was so incredible. Is the sound muscular or more of a sporty tone also?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 AM
I know where you are at. I was wondering what sound could an intake do. Just wait til you get it on. you will crap your pants. It is incredible. WHen you take it apart will will see one the stock air boxs all these plastice resonators that are design to quit the intake. The same why a muffler quites an exhaust. It is like the sound of the exhaust but it is in the engine bay not under the seat behind the driver. You won't save any fuel you will be pushing it all the time enjoying it. This car was built to rev high and does it with ease. I think I am going to look into changing the the redline to 8000 rpm I think this car could handle but I have to do more research into it.

ALso, when you take the engine cover off, you will see this big black plastic thing on top of the engine, that is the plenum, is a like a vacum where the air builds up at high pressure, so when you stomp the gas the car can access an abundance of air instantly. I also going to look at upgrading that in the future, But I the engine cover wont fit, and I will have to get a custom hood. I will do that the same time as the super charger.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Great!! I'm also installed myself but with the short tube.I wonder how different bet.long and short tube.I'm thinking to expereince the long tube but can anyone advice can i just get the long tube alone without the filter cause they using the same one.just the tube were different.
I have noticed after installed the short tube Stillen as well.It easily confirm more powder and lighter.
BTW i have Stillen Cat Back Exhaust for 07+ G35 FS after i have installed for
only overnight my wife feels doesn't like it at all.It is still brand new.PM me if anyone interest.Locate NYC THX for the write up.

Here if you wanna here the sound of mine stillen with 08 G35X

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7245940950001284559&hl=en

Attached Thumbnails Self installed STILLAN LONG TUBE COLD AIR INTAKES.-g35-015.jpg  
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No offense, but butt dynos are typically not accurate...

Glad you like it though, and had a good install experience

Old 05-10-2008, 03:01 PM
glad you liked it as much as i did

I also purchased the long tube intake from Stillen, it was well worth the money. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to install, I had all my tools out, basically all I needed was a 10mm socket wrench, pliers for clamps, philips head and flat head.

I did notice a small decrease in initial throttle response but I'm pretty sure that is normal as it has happened with every car I have put an aftermarket filter on. I would imagine that it make up for the low end response time with higher gains in the top end rpm bands.

I posted a couple pulls of me in the car with windows up and windows down before and after the intake so people could actually hear the difference. The video quality and sound quality isnt perfect because I used my point and shoot camera instead of my digital video camcorder. The video does not do it justice compared with real life pulls and after 3k rpm it growls.

My next debate is on the stillen exhaust.

Heres my link. http://youtube.com/user/hackme88

thanks.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
anyone wana post a diy for the longtube

Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by BLUEPOLE
I just put mine on, and honestly it's such a simple job, it's not worth the DIY. It took me just over an hour to install mine, and I was going slowly to teach my son how it was done.

Stillen's documentation is pretty good. Like an earlier poster said, all you need is a 10mm socket or wrench, a pair of pliers, and phillips- and flat-head screwdrivers. It took me less time to install than the intake in my old Maxima.

If you can change your own oil, you can install one of these in an hour or less.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
What I don't understand is that... how are these long tube version considered as CAI?

Aren't they the same length compared with the original version???

If so, they should be considered as RAI.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by BLUEPOLE
+1

For the sake of a noob like me!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
honestly 15 mins to install the intakes. there was no need to remove the black cover. but i guess some people work at different paces. i just cant see how it would take longer than 30 mins. all you need is 3 sockets 8mm 10mm and 12mm and needle nose pliers would work too. i had both the short and now the long tube, no diffence in HP or sound. but according to stillen the long is better so why not.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
FOr me it is not important that my intakes are installed in 15-30 mins. I could could have done it a lot faster if I wanted. But I carefully removed every fastner and all calmps, and took my time putting it together making sure everything was nice and tight and fits properly.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
same here. im not saying what you did was right or wrong. just letting others who may want to do this install that it can be done within 20 mins, with percision as well.