600km later with a stillen exhaust - videos included!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
600km later with a stillen exhaust - videos included!

Hello All - for those who read my previous thread (see link below) about getting stillen exhaust, this is my follow up write up after 600km.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-engine-exhaust-drivetrain-fi/228363-initial-driving-impressions-stillen-catback-exhaust.html

As you guys know already, I had a love/hate relationship with my stillen exhaust initially. I found it too loud on gentle throttle and droney during mild acceleration. I felt it was too much for an everyday driver and I felt my car losing some "lux" as a result of the exhaust noise. And as I said in my previous thread, not that it sounds bad, cuz it doesnt. It sounds AWESOME! Very Deep, Barritone like exhaust note (Similar to Coupe and FX, just deeper)Its just.. it was too much if you constantly had to hear it 24/7. I contemplated selling it.. :S it was that bad. And had thoughts about... did I waste my money.

600km later, things changed. Suddenly, the exhaust note has become civilized. Subtle to moderate exhaust tone during mild acceleration began to sing to my ears; instead of the F1 style exhaust note you would hear on a racing track. I would describe it.. as a gentle, sporty rumble during moderate acceleration. Just right for an everyday driver. Its enough to hear it, to let you know that you've got a 306HP engine in the hood (or should I say 314 HP with the added 8HP that stillen claims the exhaust gives) but not loud enough to annoy you anymore. At least thats what I think.

But when you lay it down.. Boy is that sound lovely! Those boys who wanted a coupe like or fx like exhaust note.. I think this might be as close as you can get. But civilized and gentleman like with a side sportyness when you dont want it to be.

Now what changed? How come suddenly, its not annoying and droney anymore? My friend who is huge on mods and knows quite a bit about cars told me that an exhaust system needs time to set. Like a break-in period almost. Maybe the exhaust finally settled properly on my car, the vibration dampners have molded properly on the exhaust which resulted in a cleaner, smoother sound.

Stillen told me that as carbon begins to line the exhaust piping internally, it would smoothen out the exhaust system. I guess thats another reason why.

So for those buyers who are like me.. wants an exhaust note when you wanna hear it, and only wanna hear it moderately during calm drives, this maybe the exhaust system for you. I can finally say im happy with my purchase and I love my exhaust note. Makes the car sound special =)

And here it is.. the videos:

Stock Exhaust:

Stillen Exhaust:
This video doesnt do the exhaust system justice cuz it was rather windy outside and lots of other noises. I also wasnt able to really give it to her cuz I had to move my car. lol

A much better video right here with the stillen exhaust!! Very nice!

Inside the cabin windows closed:

gentle acceleration

moderate acceleration

Inside the cabin windows open:

brisk acceleration in the middle part of the video

gentle acceleration

So those are the videos. Enjoy =) Im only using my camera to take these videos so sound quality may not be stellar but there you go.

Hope that helps you guys!

EDIT: Added on July 2, 2008

I just recently drove for about 500km to lake placid, NY. I was on the highway for about 3 hrs and 2 hrs on back roads. The droning is back... :S Highway driving was good.. but the backroad drive... was rather droney. Approximate speed was around 80km/h on the backroads... and with the constant uphills... the drone was constant.

I guess you do get use to it.. after a while.. but there is a drone. Now that I think about it.. I highly doubt the drone will ever truly vanish. its going to be based on what road conditions your driving and at what speed.

I tend to hear the drone between 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm. Anything below or over that is good. So there you are.

EDIT: June 4, 2009

Ive had my exhaust for another year at this point. I added about 30,000 km since the time initially installed my exhaust.

I can honestly say now that I am DRONE FREE. It took a while. But it got there.

There are times now... often actually, that I feel its pretty quiet now. lol Compared to how it use to be (unless of course if you floor it; then it sounds exactly the way its suppose to ). Now it has a good sporty sound. No more drone.

YAY!

Last edited by Wes_888; 06-04-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I am SO happy you posted these vids. I've been waiting for vids that show the sound inside the cabin while under normal driving conditions.
This is my next mod...(after the front bumper lip and wheels)

Did you have the camera strapped to your head?

Oh, and watching these vids, I can't help but think... you need paddles!

Do it!
Do it!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I am SO happy you posted these vids. I've been waiting for vids that show the sound inside the cabin while under normal driving conditions.
This is my next mod...(after the front bumper lip and wheels)

Did you have the camera strapped to your head?

Oh, and watching these vids, I can't help but think... you need paddles!

Do it!
Do it!
haha thx =) Ya as you noticed,I took a different approach from the normal vids you see of aftermarket exhaust. Its not the "make as much noise" approach that you normally see, its the everyday driving approach that I took

I do want paddles! hehe someday.. I have it =)

My next mod is GTR overlays from bat.

Remember, give it some time when u do get the mod done. Dont get turned off like how I did initially. hehe Let the exhaust set in and let the carbon line the pipes..hehe

Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
oh yeah... overlays too. I'm on that one as well.
I'm holding until I get 3M on the headlights first.
I may do that one myself as well... hopefully I don't screw it up

I'm also thinking about a set of Impul springs. It brings the X down right where it should be... perfect height.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
oh yeah... overlays too. I'm on that one as well.
I'm holding until I get 3M on the headlights first.
I may do that one myself as well... hopefully I don't screw it up

I'm also thinking about a set of Impul springs. It brings the X down right where it should be... perfect height.
When u say 3m..like the clearba? ya seriously. When I get my overlays.. I really really really wish I dont screw it up and get it right the first time.

I wont be touching my ride height..hehe We get crazy snow here in Canada

Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Nice write up Wes & thanks for taking the time and effort to take the vids and post them up, it will help me decide on which exhaust to go for next.

+ 1 on the paddle shifts , and you maybe get somebody else to hold the camera next time lol nice one mate

Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
Nice write up Wes & thanks for taking the time and effort to take the vids and post them up, it will help me decide on which exhaust to go for next.

+ 1 on the paddle shifts , and you maybe get somebody else to hold the camera next time lol nice one mate
Glad to be of help =) Others took the time to be helpful towards my questions and concerns, so I only wanna do the same. Its really important to get the answers that you need prior to making these mods. Cuz its not cheap. lol

What makes u think someone else wasnt holding it? hehe

The exhaust today sounds even more smoother than yesterday! it just keeps getting smoother and smoother. I would almost go to the lengths of saying.. it sounds stock "almost". Stock coupe or fx that is hehe

The big plus I find on smooth easy drives is.. no more raspy exhaust note that we sometimes get on stock exhaust. Its a clean, deep exhaust tune now =) Thats what I want; and thats what I have now.

YAY +1 +1 +1

Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put approx. 1500 mi on the G with the Stllen exhaust. I still think, hands down it's the best mod you could do. I love the way I can hear the car now. I find it to be very civil, don't really notice the drone at all and when you stomp it, the car sounds great. I hate to have my windows up because I can't hear the exhaust as well. Just like my GTO. I never listened to the radio because the exhaust sounded so sweeeet. I can't imagine anybody not finding it to be a vast improvement. My right pipe is still a little off on alingment and I'm not sure if I can get it to match exectly to the left. Maybe the dealership can get a bit closer. Otherwise, I would highly recomend the Stillen exhaust!!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by INDYG35S
I've put approx. 1500 mi on the G with the Stllen exhaust. I still think, hands down it's the best mod you could do. I love the way I can hear the car now. I find it to be very civil, don't really notice the drone at all and when you stomp it, the car sounds great. I hate to have my windows up because I can't hear the exhaust as well. Just like my GTO. I never listened to the radio because the exhaust sounded so sweeeet. I can't imagine anybody not finding it to be a vast improvement. My right pipe is still a little off on alingment and I'm not sure if I can get it to match exectly to the left. Maybe the dealership can get a bit closer. Otherwise, I would highly recomend the Stillen exhaust!!!!
Did you have a similar experience like I did? upon initial installation, the exhaust was rather loud and droney? but as time went by, it got better and better?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Excellent sound vids Wes.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Excellent sound vids Wes.
Thanks
Does it make you want to get stillens now? hehe get on that chin spoiler!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Does it make you want to get stillens now? hehe get on that chin spoiler!!!
haha, yes Wes , it does sound nice, I would love to get one. I have blown my budget for a little while, I just booked a months holidays for this winter on the Mayan Riviera plus a few other things that have involved the green stuff.
I guarantee the chin spoiler will be on by next week at this time

Last edited by GEE35FX; 06-26-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Nice Write up! Wes_888
You should get Paddle Shift that's a must!! but pls.don't get me wrong....
That vdo is nearly like mine when i had it installed.My opinion is the mods on this Stillen Exhaust are most likely for 6MT not 5at or any automatic transmission.It's totally sound like a big boat running on street.
This is my feeling when i was driving.That's why i took it off and put back the OEM. BTW I will have BERK HFC installed by next WEDS.Purchased today $525
I need to bring more HP from 306HP without taking all luxury and noisy muffler
I will see if any HP gain and How the sound like.After this project i will try to mods H-Pipe.Wish me luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
haha, yes Wes , it does sound nice, I would love to get one. I have blown my budget for a little while, I just booked a months holidays for this winter on the Mayan Riviera plus a few other things that have involved the green stuff.
I guarantee the chin spoiler will be on by next week at this time
wow i didnt even know...

Wes great write up and great videos. Thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Nice writeup and vids! Interesting that you are finding it quieter with time. I wonder if you are just getting used to the sound? The reason I mention this is I've had more than a dozen cars outfitted with aftermarket exhuast ove the years and they ALL got louder over time. This was true with Corsa's, Magnaflows, Flowmasters, etc....

The important thing is the tone isn't annoying you and you're enjoying it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 600km later with a stillen exhaust - videos included!