Initial Driving Impressions with Stillen Catback Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Initial Driving Impressions with Stillen Catback Exhaust

Hello All -

So my stillen exhaust arrived today and naturally, I had it installed within the hour. Upon completion of the installation, the mechanic told me that the stillen exhaust system does not have a "flex" pipe which is near the x pipe. He told me that most new cars have these flex pipe (which he pointed out on the stock exhaust), which allows the pipe to flex when the car accelerates to avoid the pipe from possibly snapping. Naturally, this concerned me. He told me depending on how the engine is, will determine which way the car will sway when accelerating. Either the car will sway vertically (from front to back of the car) or horizontally (from driver door to passenger door). He looked under the hood of my car and told me, the setup for the G will make the car sway horizontally. Which is good. Cuz that will prevent the pipe from possibly snapping. So anyways, I phone Stillen shortly after and questioned this fact. He told me that since the stillen exhaust system is lighter, it doesnt need this "flex" pipe. Also, in the years of making exhaust systems, they never ONCE had this problem. I then ask him.. should I be concerned when driving spirited? He said, the mods they make on cars, are driven on the test track and raced. Thus, if there was a concern for such thing, these cars wouldnt be able to race on the racetrack. *That makes sense, I guess * lol Or, the pipe would have snapped already.

Driving Impressions:

Starting the ignition - DAMN! what a nice sound. Very Low, Very Barritone. Very Deep. Sounded special. If I were to compare this to the G35 coupe or FX sound, this sound is deeper. It reverberates.

Before I got this exhaust installed, I was very excited. Upon installation. I had mixed feelings. Let me tell you why. Almost any kind of throttle input, whether really really gentle or slow input, or mid input, will result in this low deep barritone sound. It reverbates.. you can feel it. it was a bit too much. I feel that I may have bit more than I can chew. Even when the windows are closed, its pretty pronounced in the cabin. I TRIED my best, to slowly press the gas with no avail. Same deal. Dont get me wrong, it sounds awesome, but sometimes, you may not want to hear it ALL the time.. you guys know what im saying? Sometimes, u just wanna cruise and relax, and not hear the exhaust tune so pronouncly.

If I can compare it to a car right now, that I heard recently, it was a maserati convertible that was driving around.. 10km/h. It was the older model, not the Granturismo GT, but I think its the one just before that. On slow speeds, it sounded like that.

Anyways, driving it some more, I learned how to "turn off the sound" per say. You have to be on 5th gear and pretend your foot has a cruise control button. You have to keep your speed at the EXACT same speed, to not hear the exhaust. the slightest throttle input that can change your speeed to say... 61-63km/h from 60km/h will result in that sound yet again. I drove the car at 120km/h and I dont hear anything. provided that you can keep your foot like a statue. This actually made me feel better.. cuz if I had to hear a constant droning 24/7.. I dont know if I would wanna keep this exhaust. BUt since its able to keep quiet if your at a CONSTANT speed, its okay.

Aside: Anyone know if this system can be made quieter? Cant they put something inside to make it a bit softer?

I felt the ride to be stiffer. I dont know if that has anything to do with not having the flex pipe near the x pipe, but there you go. It felt stiffer.

POWER GAINS - Now I have only driven my car for a day, so this is just my impression today. I dont know if the car feels faster.. BUT, I felt, "possibly" that is, that some torque may have been lost. MAYBE. like a small amount. I will respond to this again when I have driven my car some more.

What I did notice is, the car climbed up the RPM ranges much faster than the stock system upon the same throttle input. I noticed this immediately actually. I have driven my car for about 27,000km now so I have a pretty good feel for my car.

I havent fully Floored it yet.. but I will and will tell you guys how that feels.

So as of right now. I am happy with it but I still need more time to fully decide if I truly like it or not. But I did get some looks today. I was at the grocery store, as I was leaving, there was this dude, parked outside, just waiting there. And when I turned my car on, and when it made that "VROOOOM" sound.. I saw him look at my car immediately. And as I peeled outta there, I got another look from this guy walking down the street. And I know they like the sound

Video post will be up soon. I KNOW I KNOW. no worries.

Hope that helps for those who are interested in Stillen exhaust.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wes thanks for your update...it looks like the exhaust is a bit more pronounced than the FX....I wanted a bit quiet cabin sometimes.. I will wait for your video..thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by coolguy8157
Wes thanks for your update...it looks like the exhaust is a bit more pronounced than the FX....I wanted a bit quiet cabin sometimes.. I will wait for your video..thanks
Anytime =) I wanna help you guys make the right decision with your car. I wish someone else before did the same.. like really went into detail about the exhaust system.

I test drove the FX about a month ago, and I loved that sound. The cool part with that was, when you accelerated, you heard it. But when you dont wanna hear it, you dont have to hear it. You can gently gas it, and drive smoothly and calmly without the exhaust note. But when you do want it, its readily available.

My issue with this stillen is, your always gonna hear it. Whenever your accelerating. Its impossible not hear it. Its pronounce. Maybe if your pumping your music.. mabye about.. 1/3 to 1/2 volume level, not so much, but you do still feel and slightly hear the *deep note* that comes from the exhaust.

Basically, there is no OFF switch. Its always on. Unless your in "cruise control" mode with your feet and on the 5th gear.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Man I miss that FX sound...just the way it was.....I think maybe the Magnaflow is the way to go..I dont know

Old 06-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I had the FX also and I miss that sound to no end. Still looking for the best replication of that sound.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 AM
nice write up.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
sounds interesting, got any video/audi clips of the exhaust?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Wes, great write up. I too have a Stillen cat back installed from May on my G35xS. I love the sound. But I am currently trying to diagnose why the low RPM droning. 1500 RPM mild throttle is a killer. This is just casual driving. Stillen told me this is not normal and that the exhaust may be in contact with the car. I checked it on a lift and it is not. It fits very well with lots of room around. Anyone can simulate the sound by putting it in "D" if you have an auto and while pressing on the brake rev and hold to 1500 RPM. It is loud and I hate to say annoying.

I love the sound during spirited driving or even in between driving. But when just cruising around on city streets at normal legal speeds(not that I ever speed), it's loud. Your description Wes, is bang on. So it helps me to know that this is not necessarily my own specific case, but that it is likely the exhaust itself.

I even went as far as getting my wife to put it in drive and rev to 1500 RPM while I pulled pushed and wiggled the exhaust to see if any stressing was causing the sound(drone) but the pitch never changed. I sent an audio clip to Stillen to see if they can think of anything. I'll let you know. My camera does .wav audio clips so it's too large to post here.

Fast Intentions promise me their exhaust with a Sebring muffler doesn't drone ever at all, period. It's hard to gamble like I did with Stillen, but I really enjoy a nice sound. The stock one is just too tame.

I will live it for a little while longer, but....

Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by garymtl
Wes, great write up. I too have a Stillen cat back installed from May on my G35xS. I love the sound. But I am currently trying to diagnose why the low RPM droning. 1500 RPM mild throttle is a killer. This is just casual driving. Stillen told me this is not normal and that the exhaust may be in contact with the car. I checked it on a lift and it is not. It fits very well with lots of room around. Anyone can simulate the sound by putting it in "D" if you have an auto and while pressing on the brake rev and hold to 1500 RPM. It is loud and I hate to say annoying.

I love the sound during spirited driving or even in between driving. But when just cruising around on city streets at normal legal speeds(not that I ever speed), it's loud. Your description Wes, is bang on. So it helps me to know that this is not necessarily my own specific case, but that it is likely the exhaust itself.

I even went as far as getting my wife to put it in drive and rev to 1500 RPM while I pulled pushed and wiggled the exhaust to see if any stressing was causing the sound(drone) but the pitch never changed. I sent an audio clip to Stillen to see if they can think of anything. I'll let you know. My camera does .wav audio clips so it's too large to post here.

Fast Intentions promise me their exhaust with a Sebring muffler doesn't drone ever at all, period. It's hard to gamble like I did with Stillen, but I really enjoy a nice sound. The stock one is just too tame.

I will live it for a little while longer, but....
I hear ya. I definately agree with the droning at around 1500rpm.

Did stillen say anything? as to what they can do? or they just gave you the run around? Im thinking Im gonna give them a call this afternoon and inform them about this. And see what they say.

Ya the sound is great.. I just dont know if I can live with it on a daily constant basis. This is my analogy. Its like herpes.. fun to catch, but hard to deal with on a daily basis. LOL

I asked the local shop if they have means of making it quieter.. they said no. I also asked if its possible to use both systems.. together. He said no. Unless you start cutting it up and welding them together.

What do you think you'll do Gary? put your old system back and try and sell it? and just take a hit from the money lost? And cut your losses?

See.. Im certain that.. this exhaust note is also subjective. What noise is to another, is music to another's ears. I had a friend who has PIMPED out escalade ride in my car yesterday, and he LOVED it. He told me I shouldnt change one thing. But then again, he is accustomed to blasting his beats with his aftermarket sound system.

SO there you go.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
sounds interesting, got any video/audi clips of the exhaust?
I will be posting video soon. Maybe in a couple of days.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
well let me know if you want to part with the exhaust...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll give Stillen a chance for now. Maybe something can be done. So far they are responsive to my concerns.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by garymtl
I'll give Stillen a chance for now. Maybe something can be done. So far they are responsive to my concerns.
Responsive how? Please elaborate. Or what can actually be done? Thanks Gary.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Responsive in that they seem interested to find the problem. We'll see what they say. I only sent the clip last night.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wes,

You could always try to add an extra pair or resonators in the exhaust. This would involve a shop cutting out some pipe and welding the new resonators in though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Initial Driving Impressions with Stillen Catback Exhaust