Initial Driving Impressions with Stillen Catback Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
Wes,

You could always try to add an extra pair or resonators in the exhaust. This would involve a shop cutting out some pipe and welding the new resonators in though.
Is that right? I wonder how much a job like that will cost. BUt thanks Liquid.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
well let me know if you want to part with the exhaust...
You interested Exploder? I will definately PM you if I decide its not for me.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by garymtl
Responsive in that they seem interested to find the problem. We'll see what they say. I only sent the clip last night.
Awesome. Let me know what they tell you. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and Wes, you probably already figured out. Use manual mode in transmission for now. Keep one gear higher, and noise drops big time. Actually quite liveable.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh and Wes, you probably already figured out. Use manual mode in transmission for now. Keep one gear higher, and noise drops big time. Actually quite liveable.
No I havent tried that actually. When u say keep one gear higher.. what do u mean exactly? thanks gary.

Do you mean, quickly keep changing the gear till your at 5th gear to keep the rpm low?

Im gonna be driving for 200km later to Toronto. I'll see how it goes with the sound on the highway. Will post results later.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 PM
hey whats goin on can you tell me where you bought the exhaust and for how much? thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
hey whats goin on can you tell me where you bought the exhaust and for how much? thanks
I bought it from stillen directly. Go to stillen.com. It was $ 1,128. But mine was more expensive cuz I had to pay shipping to Canada and I had to pay for duty also.. Ughh..

Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Wes, just drop one gear or two to get the RPM's higher. Just for going around town, not on the highway. Transmission in "D" will try to go to 5th gear. DS is an improvement as it will generally try to avoid 5th gear. But if you go manual shift you can put in say 3rd gear at 2500 RPM or higher. Noise is better. I often shift manually for better drone results. Sound weird, I know. The other thing I do is accelerate quickly to my speed, then light throttle to maintain.

If you're on the highway, you don't hear much as you said. At 120 km/hr you're around 3000 RPM and there is no drone.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Ah ic what your saying. The only downside to doing this is.. you burn more fuel than you want to. I mean, its one thing to be burning more fuel cuz of spirited driving but its another to be burning fuel because you dont wanna hear the droning. U know what i mean?

But thx for the input. I will try this and see what happens. Thx.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Wes, just drop one gear or two to get the RPM's higher. Just for going around town, not on the highway. Transmission in "D" will try to go to 5th gear. DS is an improvement as it will generally try to avoid 5th gear. But if you go manual shift you can put in say 3rd gear at 2500 RPM or higher. Noise is better. I often shift manually for better drone results. Sound weird, I know. The other thing I do is accelerate quickly to my speed, then light throttle to maintain.

If you're on the highway, you don't hear much as you said. At 120 km/hr you're around 3000 RPM and there is no drone.
So I did my highway driving. I found the drive nice. Its almost like.. this exhaust was built for the highway. I found the drive to be more visceral; more in tuned with the car per say. You could almost feel the air going through the pipes at over 120km/h or so. In a good way.

I actually find the droning happening between 2000rpm to 2,500rpm. Anything over 3,000rpm, I dont hear any droning one bit. Below 2000rpm, im fine. Maybe our exhaust differs in that way. hmmmm..

Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeh,I had it before on my 08 G35X and notice it's really nice sound but sometime it's too much in the cabin so i decided to switch back to stock.
I plan to have my stock Y Pipe adjust to H Pipe soon.Hopefully i will get more deeper tone and gain HP but not louder.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:18 AM
wow... i fully expected to get in this thread and be convined to buy one of these... but geez... sounds terrible... I had flowmasters on a Mustang GT with the same problem cruising at 70mph... it was deafening... that and I couldn't crank it at 5:30 am on the way to work without waking all my neighbors... thanks for the detailed and honest opinion!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by earth0
Yeh,I had it before on my 08 G35X and notice it's really nice sound but sometime it's too much in the cabin so i decided to switch back to stock.
I plan to have my stock Y Pipe adjust to H Pipe soon.Hopefully i will get more deeper tone and gain HP but not louder.
what did you do with your stillen exhaust eartho?

Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Pie-rat
wow... i fully expected to get in this thread and be convined to buy one of these... but geez... sounds terrible... I had flowmasters on a Mustang GT with the same problem cruising at 70mph... it was deafening... that and I couldn't crank it at 5:30 am on the way to work without waking all my neighbors... thanks for the detailed and honest opinion!
hehe its not that it sounds terrible. Its more like.. its too much too handle at times. It sounds great all the time... but thats the problem. lol Its all the time. hehe

Although its great for showing up all those other rides out there with crappy sounding exhaust..haha When u zoom past em... they know you got something special hehe

Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
what did you do with your stillen exhaust eartho?
I sold it to the fellow G in NJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Initial Driving Impressions with Stillen Catback Exhaust