Engine hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine hesitation

Car has 11k on it and whenever I give it gas at low rpm (2k to 2800rpms) there is a heavy hesitation. Its a 6MT. HELP!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
In which gear?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
yup ^+1 to what was said, we need more info.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same here 07 6mt, dealer is always clueless when i mention in, say its normal. Seems to be bothering me more and more

ps mine does it in any gear, especially if you go from ~10% throttle to 50%+ around 2000rpm

Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThiesG35s
Car has 11k on it and whenever I give it gas at low rpm (2k to 2800rpms) there is a heavy hesitation. Its a 6MT. HELP!
i have the same problem, i know exactly what you are talking about, it sorta hickups so to speak, then takes off.

it does it in every gear. tho its harder to get it to do it in first and second.

it doesn't backfire when it does it ether, it feels like a misfire, but honestly i think its the ECU flapping the throttle bodies. and it does it when the vdc is off too.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
those are the exact symptoms! guess i will have to live with it. will have dealer look at it next time i bring it in.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
well there are 3 of us here having the same problem so you car is not "broken".
im going to call infiniti corp right now and see what they say

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
just called infiniti.
they said i have to take it to the dealer and have them try to fix it.
ON 6MT, you have been to the dealer. if you call 1-800-662-6200. use option 7. and tell them your situation that the dealer had no clue whats going on. then can move forward with your case.

i have to go to the dealer and have them say they dunno what it is first.

so lead the way, cuz its going to be a few weeks before i can get it to the dealer.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
low rpm and high load changes are most obvious places parts of the map where knock will occur most. My guess would be you're gas is 91 octane or lower and you're getting knock at that part of the powerband and the car is pulling timing right then which results in the hesitation.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Scooby24
low rpm and high load changes are most obvious places parts of the map where knock will occur most. My guess would be you're gas is 91 octane or lower and you're getting knock at that part of the powerband and the car is pulling timing right then which results in the hesitation.
doubt it, car never has anything below 91. typically 91 to 94 octane always from known company's i.e shell, sunoco, pioneer. Problem persists with every tank, rarely is there ever a drive where this doesnt happen. Guess I will give them a call and see what they say, I remember talking to a tech when waiting for the car to be serviced and he said this is prob just the way the car is mapped to try and optomize performance and fuel economy ?? i think it needs a remap,
curious does anyone with a 2008 6mt have this problem, its intersting to note that the g35 is full of throttle issues but only the automatics and those with radar cruise control have had any type of recall, nothing for us 6mt guys

Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'd have to know what you consider hesitation versus me. I know the mapping is definately setup so that power continually increases to redline and lower RPMS feel sluggish...if there were a dip in power in that rpm then I could see a problem. If it feels like a steady increase then it's probably just the mapping that you're feeling. You can correct that with engine management but I think inifniti changed the mapping because a big complaint was the linear feeling powerband of the VQ and there was just a consistent feel of acceleration that wasn't as exciting as the "power swell".

Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 AM
RCK
Hesitation issue has popped up before. Some cure it with the 028 and 045 ECU reflashes, both of which I've done. But I have two other suggestions, which I made about a year ago on the this forum. Some have found them helpful

With the accelerator pedal hinged at the top, you need to contact the pedal at the top, not by toeing it at the bottom, which results in a hesitation in the G.

Try putting your entire foot on the pedal and also move the seat slightly back and down, which makes clutch engagement smoother with less wear on the left knee.

Try it. You may like it.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM
hey everyone thanks for the feedback.

with regards to what I call hesitation, its definetly not a lack of power its as if the car misfired for a brief second (ie zero forward acceleration, and all of a sudden its back on with a nasty thud like feeling)

so to elaborate start with 10 % ... car is gently accelerating, push accelerator, briefly car kicks on power (half a second), all of a sudden cut and no power ( half a second) than bam power is back in a very uncomfortable sensation. Best analogy I can think of its as if the car had an air bubble in the fuel line that momentairly chocked the pistons of fuel.

I've tried various foot positioning with no major change.

ps i Had an 06 6mt with the DE engine before and there was nothing like this, power was very smooth coming on no matter how you played with the throttle, this trait seems to be an 07 HR trait.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Mine has hesitation when at a complete stop and trying to take off at around 20% throttle. same symptoms as described. but its not 100% of the time. only 1 or 2 days out of the week.

and i do believe it does it from coasting too. but the torque converter hides it pretty good.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
doubt it, car never has anything below 91. typically 91 to 94 octane always from known company's i.e shell, sunoco, pioneer. Problem persists with every tank, rarely is there ever a drive where this doesnt happen. Guess I will give them a call and see what they say, I remember talking to a tech when waiting for the car to be serviced and he said this is prob just the way the car is mapped to try and optomize performance and fuel economy ?? i think it needs a remap,
curious does anyone with a 2008 6mt have this problem, its intersting to note that the g35 is full of throttle issues but only the automatics and those with radar cruise control have had any type of recall, nothing for us 6mt guys

6mt make up for only about 3-5% of the G35 market. there are not enough of us having the problem for infiniti to notice i think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine hesitation