Just got Black Betty's Grounding Wires in the mail!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
hard to explain i think I'll just let BB explain but i think if you're not going for an aftermarket sound system 4 is just over kill, so 8 is enough. But i'll let him chime in.
Yes I read that in BB's thread, but that doesn't answer my question of why his set with fewer wires and smaller gage is the one to get.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Okay guys, I am puzzled. How come there are are other grounding wire sets on the market that have as many as 10 wires in the set and utilize 4 G wires with this many wires and have had rave reviews about them. Then along comes Black Betty wires and the owner says 8 G is good enough in most cases and only 5 wires are required ?
Makes me wonder, what gives ??

I have been reading reports from many of the different makes. Here is a thread with another make with excellent claims: https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews/55081-gordgees-groundinggear.html Lots of interesting readiong there.
There's no need to be confused. There are lots of different options out there and some of them are garbage and a lot of them are probably very good. I have never installed any other manufacturer's wires on this particular car so I can't comment on their quality or how well they work. I only have their reputation to go by and the reviews of their customers. There are lots of different schools of thought about what's needed, how many wires, what gauge, etc. as you can see. If it were my decision to make, I'd do some research on my own, read reviews, ask questions of users (and manufacturers where possible) of the kits I'm interested in, and take cost and customer service into consideration before making my decision.

Here's a few direct answers to your questions:

I don't skip ground the ECU and TCU because they're not a good idea, they are, but because I don't have the time nor desire to answer the tons of inevitable email, PM, and phone calls 24/7 on a much more technically difficult installation. The review you linked said the poster spent 4 hours total on the installation. That's too involved for the average guy modding his car when I feel the grounding I've added with a 20 minute installation is sufficient. It would also increase my cost and therefore the consumer's cost and one of my goals was to provide an affordable mod that is effective.

I only use 5 wires (4 for 1st gen coupe and sedan prototype) because that's all I think it needs. If you are of the opinion that more or longer wires is always better, this ain't the product for you. I don't have any "redundant" grounding as some kits do. I don't understand purpose of running a connection from one component back to itself. I have no "engine-block-to-engine-block" grounding wire for example because I haven't found that it helps anything in my experience. Maybe others know different. I'm more than willing to custom fab anything any customer desires (within reason) for additional cost if they know exactly what they want.

As far as wire size, I give users a choice for aesthetics and personal preference. 8 AWG is very sufficient in my experience, but some folks like overkill. I do. My kit on Black Betty is 4 AWG, but that's not really necessary to get the benefit of the kit.

I hope I've answered your questions. PM me if you have other stuff I can help you with.

Last edited by Black Betty; 12-22-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by bfranks
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the BB grounding wires are "the best". I'm sure he can chime in on this, but I think he chose a few main grounding points that were easy for ordinary people to actually install and that gave a noticeable improvement. That, along with the top notch quality, and low price, make them the best bang for your buck.

The gains for these kits are hard to quantify to begin with. You probably do see some slight improvement with the extra wires in a 10 wire kit, but have you actually read the install directions. Have fun getting to the ECU and some of the other grounding locations. Add that to the fact that the "other" kits cost 1.5-2x as much and I think most of us decided it wasn't worth it.

They are both good kits, and both have lots of satisfied customers. You really can't go wrong with either one.
I do!

Wow bfranks. While I was writing my long winded dissertation, you summed it up as good as I ever could have. Great simple explanation. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go through BB just because it's so easy to install (my first mod seriously 15 mins) and Black Betty has like the best customer service, answered all my questions quickly before I brought them, and taught me how to use paypal lol. Thanks BB!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
I would go through BB just because it's so easy to install (my first mod seriously 15 mins) and Black Betty has like the best customer service, answered all my questions quickly before I brought them, and taught me how to use paypal lol. Thanks BB!
I agree the Black Betty set is the easiest to install and his set looks like good quality. I really don't mind a bit of extra work if the end result is good. I'm still researching a bit more as to what I would purchase.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey csquared. I installed mine over the weekend. The throttle response does seem a bit better, and it shifts a little smoother in D, but in DS it seems the same. I really only tried it once right after installing it and havent since b/c i got pulled over! Is this something that the car has to adjust to?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I agree the Black Betty set is the easiest to install and his set looks like good quality. I really don't mind a bit of extra work if the end result is good. I'm still researching a bit more as to what I would purchase.
Honestly, that's what I hope every buyer of my kits does because I want them to know exactly what they are getting and what it will and won't do. It makes my life easier and it keeps people satisfied because their expectations are met. That's exactly the kind of consumer I am too.

If you choose another route, it doesn't offend me at all because I want every G owner to be satisfied. That being said, I did have one G37 owner at a recent meet that had invested in another more expensive grounding kit buy one of mine as well and say that he was going to take the other one off even though it was new and give mine a try based solely on positive feedback and aesthetics. What an ego boost! I hope to get a back to back comparison from him soon to get his impressions on any perceived difference in performance. I hope that's not a letdown.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by d_cecc629
Hey csquared. I installed mine over the weekend. The throttle response does seem a bit better, and it shifts a little smoother in D, but in DS it seems the same. I really only tried it once right after installing it and havent since b/c i got pulled over! Is this something that the car has to adjust to?
I sold you a set that had been detuned to keep you from getting tickets.

Seriously, I haven't heard that before. Post over on myg37 as there are lots of AT owners there that have them and can tell you their thoughts. I have a 6MT so I can't comment on it knowledgeably from experience.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Well I have a G37, but there is absolutely no such module as that on my car. I closely examined an '04 Coupe and an '05 Sedan this weekend and you know what I found? The same thing - a copper wire with a battery terminal on one end bolted to the chassis on the other end. If you or anyone can find any such "module" on your negative battery cable, please enlighten me because I'm 100% ignorant of it. I have no earthly idea what he could even be talking about. It's more likely that either you misunderstood what he was saying, he misspoke, or he's a moron or a liar.

Ask yourself, "Does this even make any sense?" Did he show you this "module"? When you have to replace a battery cable, does the replacement cable have any "module" on it? Have you ever even heard of anyone complaining that any grounding kit damaged their ECU? Have you seen any reviews of anybody's grounding kit that mentions this? I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer is "No" to all af these questions.

My negative cable does come off the battery and pass through a small plastic box with a snap electrical sensor connector before continuing down to the body ground. Maybe the 07 6mt sedan is different? I agree that my 04 6mt did not have this either.

Last edited by g35_6gear; 12-24-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
My negative cable does come off the battery and pass through a small plastic box with a snap electrical sensor connector before continuing down to the body ground. Maybe the 07 6mt sedan is different? I agree that my 04 6mt did not have this either.

Never seen that before. Can you get a better photo of it? Know a part number?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Never seen that before. Can you get a better photo of it? Know a part number?
Just to be certain, since im driving an AT 07 sedan, I wont have this "box" right? and I'll be doing the install just like its described on your thread, right Black Betty?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Just to be certain, since im driving an AT 07 sedan, I wont have this "box" right? and I'll be doing the install just like its described on your thread, right Black Betty?
I've not heard of any issues from any of the other '07 sedan owners I've sold to that have installed it. As I said, I've never seen this before. Install is straightforward like in the instructions and photos.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Can anyone put up a list of some of the good grounding kits for our cars, I would really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna go with grounding as my first mod -simple and cheap- but I also wanna get the best one for me. I don't care about cost and install time, just what will ground the car the best all around. Anyone that knows of a good one, please post it up, Thanks!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by usahockey83
Can anyone put up a list of some of the good grounding kits for our cars, I would really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna go with grounding as my first mod -simple and cheap- but I also wanna get the best one for me. I don't care about cost and install time, just what will ground the car the best all around. Anyone that knows of a good one, please post it up, Thanks!
The best one, by far, as my opinion is Black Betty.
Don't go stillen and HKS is whatever.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
personally thinking of getting BB's 4gauge wires and then a voltage stabilizer and call it a day...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got Black Betty's Grounding Wires in the mail!