Berk HFC's!! =)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berk HFC's!! =)

ok so UPS just delivered my Berk High Flow Cats, and i can't wait to get them installed friday morning, im excited to see how they sound with my stock exhaust. but i have a few questions for those of you who already have them...

1. they shipped with instructions for Berk Test Pipes for the 07+ Sedan, not for High Flow Cats. is the installation process the same?

2. the first page of the instructions says that you need to remove the engine cover AND the air intake tubes to complete this installation. it says that is necessary in order to gain access to the top screw/bolt. is it really necessary to remove the engine cover and intake?

also, i won't be doing the install, my friend's dad is a mechanic and owns a shop and has been doing these kinds of installations for years, so he will be the one installing them for me. my friend says HFCs are a very simple bolt on and are arguably the easiest bolt on to install, i hope hes right hah

Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey let me know how it sounds, I'm really looking for a stock sound that is louder, and if this is it, it's the path i'm going. Good luck with the install!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by markk132
ok so UPS just delivered my Berk High Flow Cats, and i can't wait to get them installed friday morning, im excited to see how they sound with my stock exhaust. but i have a few questions for those of you who already have them...

1. they shipped with instructions for Berk Test Pipes for the 07+ Sedan, not for High Flow Cats. is the installation process the same?

2. the first page of the instructions says that you need to remove the engine cover AND the air intake tubes to complete this installation. it says that is necessary in order to gain access to the top screw/bolt. is it really necessary to remove the engine cover and intake?

also, i won't be doing the install, my friend's dad is a mechanic and owns a shop and has been doing these kinds of installations for years, so he will be the one installing them for me. my friend says HFCs are a very simple bolt on and are arguably the easiest bolt on to install, i hope hes right hah
Yes...install should be the same. You do have to remove the air intake tubes to access the upper manifold flange bolts. Pass side is cake. Driver side is a beeyotch!! Have fun with the upper bolt on that side. Make sure you have impact sockets and swivel heads. It would really help to have a guy underneath to hold the socket on the bolt and another guy up top on the impact. It was a tougher job than on my 04 for sure.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:50 AM
so i brought my car in today to my friend's dad's shop, and he started to work on it. he got the passenger side off, but then the driver side was a bitch. that damn bolt wouldn't come off. he said he would find a way to get it done by tomorrow, so i left. an hour or so later he called to tell me that he did successfully remove the bolt and that the old converters were out, and all thats left is to put the new ones in, but there wasn't enough time in the day so it will be ready for pick up tomorrow. i can't wait, i'll post my review tomorrow, and then probably a video within the next few days..

Old 10-04-2008, 12:53 PM
ok i have an update. shop called me and told me the car is ready, BUT my check engine light came on ...he said he double checked everythinggg and everything is fine, he said to call the company that made the HFCs and maybe they have an extension for the sensors or something like that, i'll try to get more details when i pick up the car. he said to drive around for a week or so and maybe the CEL will go away on its own, but if not then i'm going to need some sort of an extension for the sensors...anybody know anything about this?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
talking about anti-foulers

just removes the 02 sensor away from direct exhaust gases a little so that you dont get a reading high enough to kick a code

Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
talking about anti-foulers

just removes the 02 sensor away from direct exhaust gases a little so that you dont get a reading high enough to kick a code
hmm ok, and where would i get those and how much do they cost?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
reset the check engine light instructions are on this forum somewhere search around.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
press the ignition twice without pressing the brake pedal to get to the "ON" mode(without the car starting)
count three seconds
floor the gas pedal and release 5 times within 5 seconds from beginning to end
count 7 seconds
hold the gas pedal to the floor for 10seconds to begin the code reading part(flashing checkenginelight).............continue to hold the pedal down without releasing for another 10seconds(20secs total) and the check engine light will stop flashing and steadily illuminate.
at that point press the brake pedal and start the car. let it run for atleast 20seconds.

your codes will be cleared and the idle air volume will be relearned(good to do when altering the intake)

to do this, all accessories must be off and the car must be to operating temp.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
this has been a terrible experience. i love how my car drives and sounds with the HFCs, but i can't get my CEL to go away and its becoming very annoying. i took my car to a guy i know and he read my codes. there were 2 codes, 0031 and 1148. one was for air/fuel and the other was for oxygen sensor. i called Brian at Berk and i gave him the codes, so he called his infiniti guy and got some details for me. he said they were bank 1 sensor 1 codes, which is the passenger side sensor in the header. i took my car back to the mechanic who installed my HFC, and we double checked everything together. both the header sensor and the HFC sensor on the passenger side looked fine, they were both plugged in and didn't look damaged at all. i've reset the codes through doing that gas pedal procedure about 3 times, and the guy i went to to read the codes reset my codes also, yet everytime we reset it the CEL came back on within seconds of starting the car. i made an appointment with infiniti, but i know theyre going to find a way to charge me for something ...can anybody provide any help?? anything would be appreciated..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I prolly would NOT go to your dealer,, on this, all they're gonna tell ya is to put your stock ones back on, and yes they prolly will charge ya something... I was gonna do this also,, but i was gonna use just test pipes,, but after reading how the 07's and 08's computer is very hard to fool, ( with mil eliminators) or anti- foulers, i think i'll just get a nice set of rims or something.... I am actually surprised your getting a CEL right away WITH HFC's usually it takes a little driving around. I thought i read that the Fast Intention exhaust people have a way around this. not sure though. Good luck with this...... regards

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
FI has anti-foulers available that take the sensor further away from the exhaust stream. I have no idea if they will work with the berks, but I do know that Tony and the guys over at FI will answer any and all questions you have, even if you bought the competitions product.
Give them a call, or start asking people with the berks installed.
Members have been running these for some time now without getting the CEL.

I will admit though, this is another reason why I avoided the HFCs to begin with.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
the codes are coming from the sensor in the HEADER, not the HFC, so the HFC isn't the problem. im gona take the car to infiniti, and tell them that its impossible for the aftermarket HFC to cause the sensor in the header to throw a code, and plus, the CEL comes on right away, and that tells me that that sensor must be broken, because it wouldn't throw a code that quick if it was working...i feel i have a good argument that this repair should be covered under warrantyi, my mechanic never touched the header, he had no reason to..

Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM
jeez, i was so excited for you to get them to make my final decision...but now im really hesitant =X

but it did sound pretty sweet....maybe if i wasnt drunk i would have focused more. I wanna do a side by side comparison

Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^, get the Fast Intentions High-Flow Cats...you won't be dealing with any of that crap, plug and play boom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Berk HFC's!! =)